Skyblock Preventing Mapart Reselling (feat. others) (updated)

Discussion in 'Server Gameplay Suggestions' started by PCcoolguy100, May 18, 2020.

1. Justin

Justin - Premium Premium

I fully support this and hope it can be added without any additional lag. :) I have many friends who make and sell maps and to be quite frank, it is super upsetting to see their hard work stolen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. JoshLee5

JoshLee5 Member

Full support.

As a fellow map maker, it is super upsetting to see others reselling map art without permission or even crediting the original maker. It undermines the hard work that the creator has put in and might even deter others who wish to make their own maps in the future.

Might be a bit much to add, but it would also be nice if people had the option to lock their maps to prevent griefers.

3. PCcoolguy100

PCcoolguy100 Senior Member

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100
    Bump, from what I've noticed some newer and even older players are unaware of the rules regarding mapart selling (and re-selling). This adds another rule regarding a completely untouched topic, but it helps the staff and the players out. If this ever makes it to an update, it'll be hard to update every single map (unless Map IDs are taken into play) for a resale change, but whatever works.

(maybe make every map made before the plugin/update is introduced uncopyable? Hard but again, it does the job and won't harm verified resellers at all).

4. K41YU

K41YU ahiru-san Moderator Premium

IGN:
    K41YU
    Ehh, most map art is a Google image created by someone else, not the player. It can be Googled and remade if the person isn’t lazy. If it’s actually original content made by you, yes, I do think it should be protected. I think the best and easiest solution is just to remove/disable the craft recipe for map copy. You’ll have to plan ahead or decide how many copies you want to make before you erase the canvas. For example, if you only wanted 3 maps, then you’d have to make like, map#123, map#124, map#125. Then hand out your maps and then clear the canvas. The only issue is that you might want more copies after the canvas is cleared. Then you just store copies of map schematics in case you want to remake it in the future. Or after each map, make and store at least *number here* copies. And definitely sign your pieces. You can make the smallest pixel text so it’s not too obstructive, or experiment with transparent text on an image editor to where it’s even less obstructive but still readable. Signing is good because it’s sort of like advertising yourself. If people know who made the art, they will want to visit you to buy maps or even hire you. People always ask who made a map and how they can acquire it so yeah.

5. fran

fran pensive Premium

IGN:
    franfiction
    I sort of agree, but with my little experience making maparts, they take A LOT of work. Even if it's just a schematic, placing/printing every block and then clearing out takes hours, especially if it's larger than 1x1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. eunice

eunice epiphany Premium

i actually love this idea. full support.

map arts do take a lot of time to make and it can be upsetting to see it being resold without permission

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Atomcow

Atomcow Active Member

IGN:
    Atombro
    Support this is extremely needed good suggestion laddie

8. Creepingdeath9

Creepingdeath9 Well-Known Member

very good suggestion!

no one never bought any of my painting anyway but good idea for others:D

9. PCcoolguy100

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100
    bump, seeing as other mapart suggestions are being revived

10. Pancake

Pancake syrup x Moderator Premium

IGN:
    GangstaPancake
    Support, you can never be certain whether people will follow your wishes and not re-sell/copy your mapart so this would be really helpful and reassuring :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Cookie Cookie x 1
  11. Splat1221

Splat1221 Active Member

IGN:
    SplatBerry
    ... I fully support this and I don’t know why you would say that.

12. PCcoolguy100

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100
    This post was from early 2020, and then you were one of the people who would resell other people’s maps without their explicit permission. We’re past this now, its been slightly more than a year.

• Friendly Friendly x 1