Standards or no?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KhalDrogo, Apr 1, 2022.

1. Emerald

Emerald Senior Member

IGN:
    TheEpicEmerald
    I would like to add onto this and also state that with the way that modern communication and technology is now, there are far more worst subjects on the internet that someone over or under the age of 10 can find, rather just from the Skyblock server. From what I have seen, most of the young players on the server tend to throw around the term "wtf" and such "sounds", and these parents are fully aware that when buying their child this game, they are putting their child on the public internet. When a parent accepts putting their child on the internet, they basically understand the consequences/issues of that, but usually trust the child to create the proper decisions for themselves. With the addition of apps such as TikTok, the mainstream media, etc. making some see these actions as "acceptable" for young children that are in their youth, the narrative as a whole is kind of changing and it might be the best decision to change as well in some type of way. There are far worst things on the internet, even YouTube, that these 10 and under players are easily able to find, over a Minecraft server that does not have a heavy inappropriate standard. The server does a very well job at keeping most inappropriate comments/topics out of the blue, but they do tend to pop up a bit and the parent of that child understands that some comments like that will be made over the internet.

[Edit]: I believe it is the server's job to keep the chats as PG as possible for all, however, a clarification on these PG rules would be great!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
  2. archerexpert777

archerexpert777 Senior Member

IGN:
    simparch777
    You're right on everything however stfu can also mean in expression joy or laughter. I've seen people use it in that context

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Frez

Frez Shark Super Moderator Premium

IGN:
    frezology
    I did not know that, thankyou for that archer :)

4. JAWD543

JAWD543 Active Member

IGN:
    JAWD543
    Seems like they pick and choose what words to censor and when they want to. They need to define the rules better.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. Gamzee24

Gamzee24 Loner Premium

IGN:
    Gamzee2448
    everyone knows this server ain't pg, especially with the way how the majority of the players act, especially with no staff member watching them. but of course, when there is a staff member active, everyone will behave pg, cuz they know if they don't, consequences will come.

I hope my comment didn't derail the thread : )

6. KhalDrogo

KhalDrogo Experienced Member

IGN:
    Drogo
    Drogo’s reply yesterday has already highlighted that that confusion has arisen due to the loose nature with which moderators use the term PG. Essentially substituting it for the term ‘appropriate’. While they can define ‘appropriate’ with regards to the server, they can’t define PG so those two terms are not interchangeable.
    Had they known this, Drogo is sure they would have simply said “The server is not PG” early in this thread rather than enter into debate as they did.

This thread (and others) has certainly shown that the use of WTF and the like, are fairly controversial and offensive to some people on this server. Not surprising given the age range of players on the server.

Perhaps the use of it should be banned due to point 6 in the code of conduct?

6. You must not use any language that is sexually explicit, threatening, hateful, obscene, abusive, bullying, controversial, or offensive to other religions, ethnicity or minority groups.

7. Gamzee24

Gamzee24 Loner Premium

IGN:
    Gamzee2448
    i think they're definitely not going to do that.

8. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    This thread (and others) has certainly shown that there are quite divided views on the appropriateness of the term and any others involving profanity.
    It has led to strongly defended views and disagreement which is essentially the definition of controversy.

Drogo can’t see how they could allow the use of it and claim to uphold the code of conduct.

9. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    flaming_tree_ , You've quoted quite a few posts that Drogo has already responded to, they questions you ask here would indicate that you didn't read these responses. Drogo will reply to you only this last time because much of what you say is just rewording of what others have already said, already replied to or just plain nonsense.

Don't you think the logical way to say the server is not PG, would be simply to say "The server is not PG"?
    The only mention that it might not be PG was Megan saying it's not 100%PG. A statement that makes no sense as my reply, had you read it, already explained.

Drogo never said there was a claim of the server being PG, IN THIS THREAD. so this is a completely useless point.

No, they are not and the document you linked doesn't state that it does. The document you linked is for ratings of Movies. Controlled environments with a known script. PG ratings also consider the frequency an manner in which any concerning matter may occur. on a public forum, there is no control over the frequency of concerning matter.
    See this snippet from LeoSteel's post where it mentions discretely and infrequently.
    [​IMG]
    WTF is used on this server very frequently and indiscreetly so is clearly not PG.

Yes Megan did say that and I explained that saying it's not 100%PG makes as much sense as saying not 100% dead, which is to say it makes no sense. It can only be one or the other. It was at this point that it dawned on me that the staff had no idea what PG really meant and they were using in place of what they really meant.

This is the first mention by any staff suggesting that the server is not PG and it is only used as a guide.
    Why, if that is what the staff have been trying to tell me all along as you think, did it take so long for them to actually say it? Drogo will tell you why, because they were talking about what they considered appropriate and relabeled it PG which is not PG at all.

As for proof where it has been claimed.
    It has been stated in game, but as Drogo has told you, by staff who are not using the term correctly.

Not that it's needed as this thread is proof enough that it is controversial but here you go.
    Skyblock Official Site | Skyblock

Drogo is not referring to the TOS, Drogo is referring to point 6 of the code of conduct as he quite clearly stated and quoted verbatim. I have no idea how you could confuse this and so most of what you said here is irrelevant. I will re-quote here and you will hopefully understand, it is not vague in any way at all. It states quite clearly that language that is controversial or offensive, MUST NOT be used. The use of WTF is clearly controversial given the strong disagreements seen in this thread and therefor MUST NOT be used.

6. You must not use any language that is sexually explicit, threatening, hateful, obscene, abusive, bullying, controversial, or offensive to other religions, ethnicity or minority groups.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
  10. Emerald

Emerald Senior Member

IGN:
    TheEpicEmerald
    To be fair, it's been stated many times that the server was PG, as well as stated it was PG-13 with some exceptions, as well as many staff using "wtf" in the past and not doing any action on it whatsoever. It seems like there hasn't been a clear direct answer on the forums, and overtime it's changed PG ratings, but it seems the staff want to try to keep it PG as possible, even if that is not the desired rating for the server.

I'm glad you brought up a previous thread of mine that I forgot even existed, and it just of shows there the same convesation about 5-6 years ago, with there not being a direct answer. However, "wtf" as well as the other "sounds" were then unfiltered after I made that thread, so it's unclear what the rating of this server is to be fair. Cypriot then added back the use to words such as "wtf", "stfu", and such words after he added the new filter. So it seems like this has always been an issue, and one I have a memory of from classic. If these words were added back to being used, then I believe they should remain that way unless a rule change directly is made and not indirectly. A direct answer from possibly Crew himself on what he desires the rating of this server, would be very helpful and would close this conversation :).

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Domo

Domo Active Member

So, I'm a little late to this, but it seems like you are just upset about your post being removed, and are now trying to turn this into a "Drogo is being attacked" thread. Not ideal, but also, is saying WTF or STFU or LMAO really that bad???

(Also, just a question: Why all the talk in 3rd person?)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. 1_sis_1

1_sis_1 Active Member

IGN:
    1_Sis_1
    Sis knows that is often something that Drogo knows, please do not feel confused by Drogos typing style, as Sis was not used to it either at first.

As for the topic of the actual thread, Sis thinks the context would be important in the situation. As Sis was taught the word for the male genitalia in 4th grade in health. However Sis also feels as if making acronyms containing 'f' against the rules, or punishable would be quite detrimental. As some members of this community already meme on the word 'nutz' being punished, even when it was in a inappropriate context. So in all, Sis thinks the situation is kinda booty as no one likes to be filtered, including Sis. It comes to the line of what a person thinks is acceptable to be said and what isn't.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Nothing to do with post removal. Just highlighting the inconsistency of a server that claims to be PG ‘like’, allowing the use of WTF.
    Speaking in third person is just something Drogo does. It keeps things interesting.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
  14. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Well, this thread was created to point out the inconstancy in attempts by staff to keep the server PG while still allowing the use of acronyms such as previously mentioned.

It has highlighted that staff don't really mean PG when they say PG and they are really trying to keep it, what Drogo will call, PGish.

There is clearly strong and differing opinions whether these acronyms are even PGish and Drogo supposes that is to be expected when you deal with something undefined and open to personal interpretation as PGish. Especially in a large community of very different people.

So it would appear that no one can really say if there is or isn't inconsistency in attempts to keep the server PGish due to there being no real definition of PGish.

What this thread has highlighted however is that the use of such acronyms on this server and forum is certainly controversial given the strong views and disagreement that it gives rise to.
    Now while PGish is not well defined and open to interpretation, the term 'controversial' is not. And so the fact that the use of these acronyms is controversial, cannot be denied.

upload_2022-4-6_20-16-47.png

Now as Drogo has pointed out previously, point 6 of the code of conduct forbids the use of controversial language, so the use of these acronyms, controversial as they are, goes against the code of conduct and this too cannot be denied.

So Drogo will wait and see how the use of these acronyms are dealt with in the future and see if there is inconsistency in the application of the servers rules and code of conduct, which was essentially, the point of this thread in the first place.

15. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Who cares? well Drogo would imagine the server owner and staff would care. They set the rules.

And honestly, so do I. As a parent who's kids used to play on this server. I care.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
  16. abcdefu

abcdefu Active Member

got some time before work so i sadly read mostly everything. I wasted my time so i'll waste a little more
    servers don't abide by film ratings so PG is obviously an expression
    being PG isn't a rule... just another way of saying be appropriate my guy. Server clearly ain't PG but y'all gotta keep it not sexual
    people aint imagine the f word when they say wtf. people probably will imagine a pp if its spoken about. idk bout you but i know what i'd rather my child, especially a female one, be exposed to bruv
    calling it as i see it, it is sad to care that much. Or you must be one committed troll or something if so bravo very funny sir/mam

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Drogo disagrees, with pretty much everything you have said and that is probably why such controversial language is not to be tolerated as it leads to heated posts like yours, so thanks for validating the server rules

You couldn't have done a better job of proving Drogo's point. Thank you.

18. abcdefu

abcdefu Active Member

guy disagrees with logic
    reason: why controversial language is not tolerated
    makes sense I guess, scared because i'm right.
    have a great day arguing about something completely dumb. hope it earns you... idk... skyblock medal for most dedicated player or something

19. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    You're quite wrong, Drogo deals mostly in logic and facts. In doing so, Drogo doesn't have to argue because facts can't be argued.
    The reason you state, as though you think it means nothing, and claim that it is dumb, more or less comes straight from the servers code of conduct.

20. Krissy

Krissy f̺͆o̺͆r̺͆g̺͆m̺͆i̺͆n̺͆ Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

Just a reminder for you guys to keep things civil. I understand that it’s a topic that is dividing the community but some posts have been pretty unnecessary. Thank you everyone