OCE Wonkie's Moderator Application [.NET]

Discussion in 'Accepted Applications' started by Wonkie, Mar 3, 2017.

?

Do you think I would be a good moderator?

1. Yes

55.0%
  2. Yes, but you need to improve

5.0%
  3. Maybe

10.0%
  4. No

30.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wonkie

Wonkie Experienced Member

IGN:
    wonkiedonkie
    -------
    Wonkie's Moderator Application (.NET)
    -------
    Introduction:
    Hello there! My name is Wonkie. I live in Australia and I am currently attending 9th grade. I have enjoyed playing skyblock ever since I joined the community. I like soccer, tennis and table tennis as some of my favourite sports and whenever I’m not doing something else I am usually on skyblock. I have decided to apply for moderator because I believe I could really make a difference in the community and be online when most people need a moderator. Let the application begin!

Your in-game name:
    My in-game name is wonkiedonkie, but you can find me currently in-game with the nickname 'Wonkie'.
    Previous usernames: the_green_guy, GreenGuy__, WonkieSanta

What timezone are you in?
    My timezone is AEST (Australian Eastern Standard Time) or UTC/GMT +10.

What country do you live in?
    I currently reside in Australia.

What languages do you speak?
    The only language I can fluently speak is English. I do have interests in learning other languages in the future. If required, I can ask another staff member or player who speaks that language, or I can use google translate.

Do you have 2FA enabled? Yes/No
    I have both Two Factor Authentication and Two Step Verification enabled.

Do you have the necessary means of capturing evidence? (i.e. recording software, screenshots, etc)
    I am able to take screenshots in Minecraft using F2 or by using Gyazo and am fully competent at uploading them the forums, imgur or another file sharing service such as DropBox. I also have the Windows 10 recording software, which I can then upload the video to YouTube.

Why do you think you should become a mod?
    I believe I should become a moderator because of numerous reasons. To begin, I am an experienced individual who has quite a bit of time to spend working with and helping people on the server. I am always willing to help anyone who needs it, whether it be a simple question regarding the server or their island, to helping them build their islands from the ground up; I simply love to help.

Additionally, my timezone is extremely beneficial for the server. There are almost no moderator online at the times I play, and only one moderator located in the Asia/Oceania region. This makes the server quite dull and un-moderated for players. A moderator or two online at this time could also bring more players online at this time and make the server much more enjoyable. I'd hate to see this timezone become neglected by players due to violations in the server rules. Having multiple moderators active at this time is crucial to the overall safety and security of the server as it perhaps is most vulnerable at this time.

I am extremely kind to many people I meet on the server and I am impartial, which means that I don’t give donators or one of my friends priority over non-donors or new players. I also promise to never ban any people who may have previously done something to upset/annoy me; I am always fair to all players that I meet and play on the server and will be friendly to them from the start.

I have been playing skyblock for many years now, which makes me very familiar with the server and its plugins. Moderating and owning other servers has also made me familiar with other 'hidden' plugins the server may use and as well as teaching myself how to moderate servers properly. On these small servers, I mostly handled small chat infringements and helping the owner(s) with various tasks.

I am also very approachable in-game and on the forums. I always love receiving conversations or messages from players and I am always open to conversation. I am also quite a patient person, giving people time to do their things and I always wait for them while they are AFK. To add on, I am also very organised in what I do. I always do things on-time and I plan for what I do; if I have an overload on requests or people needing help, I always keep a notepad handy to organise a list of who I am helping out.

The main reason that I believe I should become a moderator is that I am always trying my best to help people. I am always on the look-out in chat and in the help section for anyone who could use my help, whether it be asking a simple question or helping them with donation issues and building their island. I am also a moderately fast typer, so I can respond to those players as quickly and efficiently as I can. I promise that helping who needs it is one of my focuses and will always follow it.

How long can you be active on the server every day?
    Below are the approximate hours I can currently be online:
    Monday: 1 hour - 4 hours
    Tuesday: 1 hour - 4 hours
    Wednesday: 1 hour - 4 hours
    Thursday: 1 hour - 4 hours
    Friday: 1 hour - 4 hours
    Saturday: Up to 6 hours
    Sunday: Up to 5 hours

Please Note: These times are approximates and will be in AEST time, I may be online longer or shorter than listed here because of personal reasons, holidays, work, school, homework or other. I usually check the forums a few times when I am at school, and I am also usually on the forums whilst I am on the server.

How long have you been playing Skyblock?
    Although I cannot remember when I started playing, I believe I started in late-2012 or early-2013. I have made a few breaks in between then and the present.

Have you ever been banned in the past? (Forums & In-game)
    I have had a no-ban streak from when I started playing skyblock till around late January this year, I was banned for buying an island with too much grass. I can assure you that I have learnt from my mistakes and am extremely regretful of the purchase. I have never been banned on the forums.

Do you have any past experience as a moderator?
    I have a lot of experience when it comes to moderating on servers. I have been a moderator/administrator on numerous small servers where I handled chat-related issues, basic moderating and assisting the owner(s). Additionally, I have owned my own server completely set up with plugins and everything. These experiences have given me knowledge and understanding of how servers work and how to moderate, as well as how to use many plugins that a lot of servers may use, such as LogBlock, Essentials and many others.

Do you meet the requirements for staff?
    Yes, I do meet the requirements.

I thank everybody who took their time to read my application. If you were to leave some constructive criticism or a comment below that would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Wonkie

----+----
    Support = 67
    Neutral/Partial = 6
    No Support = 11
    ----+----

• Support Support x 31
    • No Support No Support x 11
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  2. ConortheAssasin

ConortheAssasin Active Member

Neutral, you are helpful and active. Id like to see a bit more of it. Good luck :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  3. athyrix

athyrix Senior Member Premium

I have extremely different time zones from you so I never see you online and cannot simply judge that, however you need to be slightly more active on the forums.

Good luck! :]

4. Xethorias

Xethorias Senior Member

IGN:
    Xethorias
    I'd like to see you help out more.

5. Ecstaxi

Ecstaxi Active Member

I'd like to see you help out more.

Be more active in game and on forums

6. poggers

poggers Senior Member

I'm going to say neutral. I'd like to see you helping out more on the forums in-game, and being more active on the forums in general. Good luck.

7. Wonkie

IGN:
    wonkiedonkie
    Thank you, Conor and Mic

Thank you all for your constructive criticism. I will definitely improve on these negatives.

8. Crazytaco

Crazytaco New Member

Support :heart: read other comments and can agree that you are a well-qualified candidate. :)

9. Wonkie

IGN:
    wonkiedonkie
    Thank you, taco :heart:

10. Myrmidous

Myrmidous Well-Known Member Premium

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: You must click 'Like' before you can see the hidden data contained here.**
    There's a persistent myth surrounding the idea of a single person coming out on top, unassisted, with no-one helping them succeed. The idea that just by being awesome enough they naturally win. Movies, sitcoms and the media love this idea and follow it like the family dog follows small children at dinnertime. They play it up, package it as "this guy's best accomplishments!" and show it on repeat to the world. It's a lie. Not a single person in the history of the world did anything great without an ocean of people supporting them.

The trick is starting your own ocean... so here's my bucket of water.

PeopleSong.gif
    Still better than Nickelback

I rather like that introduction, Mr. Jackson. Very concise, informative and barely sounds like an alien visiting our planet. "I am a 13 year old male" was especially amusing but you get bonus points for the British salute to "favoUrite". :> Don't feel like you need to change anything here, sir: My reviews have no impact on your selection.

Nice to-

WONKIESANTA?!

I'm dying here. :hilarious: That got me. +1 to you, Mr. Wonk.

Congratulations on living to be 13, sir. I basically consider that entire continent to be the exact location the Locust invade our world.

Unless you can have a conversation in a language that explains why island farming is illegal... don't list that language. Drop "Google Translate" completely-- unless you were angling for forum Moderator...?

Good enough(?).

MoveINeedThis.jpg
    I have been waiting all day for this. MOVE.

This is the part of the application where the good stuff comes. Don't disappoint, Mr. Wonk-- I want to see microphones dropped harder than warheads on insurgents. GIMME.

NailedIt.jpg
    ...but let's nitpick.

OK, right off the bat: I had orgasms in my eyes. IN MY EYES. That was exceptionally well written, Mr. Wonker.

The nitpicks: Lack of focus. You have two separate topics here-- helping players and timezone availability. You write each of these very well and now I'm wondering how amazing you could make them as two separate paragraphs.

But this is already very well done.
    So if you aren't confident on splitting this up then don't go for it.

I'm going to bookmark this as an example of how to correctly write a "paragraph application". I literally have next to nothing to pull apart here.

(Very) small suggestion: Swap "unbiased" for "impartial". The difference is minuscule but seriously now, sir: You're giving me less to work on than Trump's public relations consultant.

ThelmaAndLouise.jpg
    ...annnnnnd?

Where's the rest? How does your past history translate into skills on this server? You have moderated before, does that mean you know how to handle people at their worst and not let it leave you a bitter, twisted shell of a person? Just guessing.

Please add some details about how your past experience makes you a good choice here. Also consider moving this to the correct template question.

Christ, all I have to work with is phrasing suggestions:
    • Swap "always open to conversation" for "focused on players". (implied inclusion and role taking)
    • Switch "I plan for what I do" with something like "meticulous".
    •shrug• Other than that I would still like to see you separate some of these ideas out into subordinate paragraphs. Mostly because I'm a diction junkie and love to see good writing.

FryeSquint.png
    #FryeSquint

Toss out "typing speed", not necessary. It is entirely possible to moderate with twenty characters or less (and balls the size of the Death Star):
    [randomdude412 -> me ]: my island griefed helpmod
    /tpo rand<tab>
    /m rand<tab> where?
    randomdude412 -> me : here see
    /lb area 10 destroyed
    <F2>
    /m rand<tab> Ok, handling.​

Typing speed does not hurt your application, but I cannot imagine this is the thing that will push you over the edge. But who knows! Your paragraph is excellent and I am a little hesitant to recommend anything.

Your hours look excellent, you will be on when most of the transition starts happening between AU and US players. Although I am calling BS on your Sat/Sun schedule: 11 hours per day, each? You don't do anything on the weekends, sir?

No one is checking your murder alibi. Shorten this to just "Early 2013 - present".

Shorten to "Once, I bought an island with too much grass". Why the detail here? The people banning you are already aware of the situation... but your supporters have no idea. Don't shoot yourself in the foot.

Did you kill it? Not accusing, just curious.

Also for the love of dead baby dolphins: What were your responsibilities? Did you develop plugins? Run weekly minigames? Investigate illegal trades? Mediate skin competitions? Please list what you actually had experience with, not just your job title.

Quite welcome. That was very fun to go through, normally I end up suggesting a ton of things and researching even more-- mildly surprised and a little impressed. Excellent job.

Support Status: Writes Like A Champ
    (But is he a contender?!)

11. Nader

Nader Well-Known Member

IGN:
    user2040
    No support, you don't help out anybody in-game maybe it's cause we have different timezones

12. ConortheAssasin

ConortheAssasin Active Member

Changing to support, I have seen you helping a lot more and you're active. Good luck bro :)

13. Sarge

Sarge Experienced Member

Thread locked on request.
    If you disagree to this action, please report this post, and a moderator or administrator will reconsider it.

Kind regards,
    The Staff

14. Emerald

Emerald Senior Member

IGN:
    TheEpicEmerald
    Thread unlocked on request.
    If you disagree to this action, please report this post, and a moderator or administrator will reconsider it.

Kind regards,
    The Staff

15. IllegalWiFi

IllegalWiFi Guest

Neutral.

You need to be more active & help out in chat more, otherwise you're doing fine. :)

16. Xethorias

Xethorias Senior Member

IGN:
    Xethorias
    supp0rt

17. Wonkie

IGN:
    wonkiedonkie
    Thanks guys :)

18. Wonkie

IGN:
    wonkiedonkie
  19. MangoRangoTango

MangoRangoTango Active Member

Neutral, Never seen you help out or in game and help out more on forums.
    Good Luck!

20. Wonkie

IGN:
    wonkiedonkie
    Bump.
    SHjeejisn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.