Why isn't the server updated?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Queue, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Boltgreywing

Boltgreywing Member

I was talking about server lag which is ticks per second not fps. Frames per second refers to how the animation renders on the client not the server. Ticks per seconds means how often mobs move, entities update and the like. For lag the biggest issue is the spawn area of a world that constantly is loaded that gives you initial lag, and all redstones compound that, along with entities. If you let items despawn rather destroy them in lava or cactus if there is too many items this causes lag.

Particle effects, and xp orbs do add a significant amount of lag if allowed to pile up. Command blocks can affect lag too depending on positions. One of the reasons for lag is if you are using like large amount of plugins. Some plugins such as the survival plugin take 1gb of ram just to run. If you have multiple of those type of plugins in play for 8gb ram, all your ram gets eat up with just 8 plugins at 1gb a piece.

If the security plugin is the biggest contributor of lag after running tests then it should be one of the plugins that should be dropped. I have about 6 servers that I manage and while a bit different are vanilla environments, without command blocks, without redstone clocks, and without plugins. I have run them in a small environment with about 8 players and the lag in that set up is fairly nonexistent running 1.15.2. I have even run a skyblock world and saw a bit more performance with it as there is much less blocks to render due to the map design I built.

Still its up to the admins what they decide to do to solve lag. Its not something that will be solved overnight. My farms on skyblock are very simple punch wood, punch foods, punch cactus. The biggest lag machine I have is my twin 7 by 7 furnace setups. It is a known fact that furnaces and pets contribute lag.

Here are a few resources that explain what causes lag.
    How to troubleshoot and reduce lag on your Minecraft server - Knowledgebase - BisectHosting
    Reducing Lag on BreakdownCraft Aquatic Survival - BreakdownCraft

Also the nether update is coming on the 23 of June.

2. Boltgreywing

Boltgreywing Member

Why are flying machines illegal? Also wouldn't an earlier version say 1.0.0 or 1.1 be more stable then 1.12.2 since it is much older or potential 1.3.2?

3. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Flying machines are illegal because they can be used to grief other players islands as well as locations such as spawn as well as be able to pick up items when it destroys a block, causing stealing to be viable by breaking blocks

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Boltgreywing

Boltgreywing Member

I see, but wouldn't elytra be illegal as well since it allows players to fly and could be used to grief other islands as well? Granted tnt is off already. Plus with island protection turned on doesn't that prevent others from griefing islands already?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Sam

Sam Senior Member

The flying machines are made of blocks that push other blocks, allowing them to be able to push blocks bypassing island protection. Elytras move the player, not blocks

6. Boltgreywing

Boltgreywing Member

That makes sense.

• Like Like x 1
  7. PCcoolguy100

PCcoolguy100 Senior Member

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100
    I feel like this video sums up a few of the server's problems beautifully, not to mention the additional problems we have - large storage systems (including Item Frames, which are storage items), large numbers of mobs, large number of lighting updates (this is the killer, especially when building maparts), large number of broken blocks and placed blocks, and so many more issues I couldn't name half of them.