Global Toggle Mobs per Chunk

Discussion in 'Server Gameplay Suggestions' started by Calidre, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Calidre

Calidre Experienced Member

IGN:
    Calidre
    No idea how this would work but thought of this while debating on what to add for my personal farms, but I wanted to suggest being able to toggle the mob spawning on your island per chunk or your island as a collective.

I've been wanting to add a small grinder as an extra farm for myself for a while (specifically on economy) but I don't want to turn on mobs for my entire island as I don't want them spawning anywhere except a particular area. My suggestions is that an extra setting be added that allows you to enable mob spawning in the chunk you're standing in. The option to turn off or on mob spawning for the entire island would be kept in and this would only be an extra setting. This would allow for specific areas to be designated to mob farming without worrying about large areas on the rest of your island to be crowded with unwanted mobs.

This could be added as another option in /settings or it could be a separate command such as /mobtogglechunk to toggle it in the chunk you're in. It could be decided whether toggling the spawning for the whole island would override the individual chunk settings or not

• Support Support x 5
    • Neutral Neutral x 1
  2. Jerrry

Jerrry Well-Known Member

IGN:
    fpschess
    too much of a hassle to make when you can just light up the rest of your island. no support

3. Calidre

IGN:
    Calidre
    You’re not the one coding it so why would it matter? Also, many areas on my own island are kept dark on purpose and I’m not going to light up every single area that I don’t want lit up just to end up using 1 singular chunk for a farm. For many people there’s thousands and thousands of blocks to cover in so many areas to light every single area up. It would take less time overall to code most likely it then for every person lighting up every single area on everyone’s islands that needs to.

4. Jerrry

Jerrry Well-Known Member

IGN:
    fpschess
    ever heard of sympathy?
    do you really want dex to be coding this over than more important things like the update to 1.16 or 1.17
    why would you want an area dark on purpose, most people use fullbright anyways
    it cant be that bad to have an area lit up, i cant imagine how it can make it worse
    spamming torches isnt that hard, and people build massive farms that take hours to build without a complaint, it wouldnt bother anyone to have to spend 5 minutes lighting up their island
    As I said earlier in this post, the devs could be using their time better. That's just my assumption though. Exact same point as my first response, would you rather spend 5 minutes lighting up your island or have the update to 1.16/1.17 delayed?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Calidre

IGN:
    Calidre
    Just because developers are working on one thing, doesn't mean we should stop making suggestions altogether. Who said he had to code it right now? And why is making the server 1.16 a more important issue? A suggestion isn't meant to be picked immediately after posting it, many sit there for months or years before they get added or forgotten about. You're making it seem like they are only allowed to do one thing at a time and have to totally stop thinking about anything at a time. Saying no to something by thinking about it as if it can't be done right now therefore it isn't a good suggestion, isn't how you should be viewing the suggestion. If I give an idea to my boss at work but he is busy with an internal project for the next week, he isn't going to say no because he's doing something, he'll put it on the back burner and come back around to it when he has the time. Not being able to work on something this instant doesn't automatically make it a bad suggestion.

Many areas are kept dark on purpose for building purposes. Very tall structures for instance may have many, many single block areas that would need to be lit up individually since it's not a flat area and the structure goes up one at a time. I keep lots of areas darker for design purposes or things that don't need light or areas that are too hard to light up without ruining design or functionality like redstone designated areas. You also can't assume most people use full bright because not everyone does, including myself.

It's a QOL of life change, dozens and hundreds of suggestions have been implemented that probably require even less work than this one to fix if the suggestion were never to be added. CLag Timer, Set Island Time/Weather, Increasing Amount on /Daily, just to name a few are suggestions that were added that are even LESS needed then the one I suggested and are all QOL features. You don't NEED any of those suggestions and the server would be no different without it yet they were added so I don't see how a suggestion like this is any different

Whose to say what is better for them to be working on? Everyone has a different opinion on what is a good thing to do and what's not. Many are opposed to updating the server further and would say this suggestion would be more useful than that, or vice versa. The delaying of other implementations on the server and whether one is more important than the other, isn't set in stone it's an opinion

6. Jerrry

Jerrry Well-Known Member

IGN:
    fpschess
    you make some good points, im probably gonna stay on neutral though as i still believe this is kinda unnecessary

also

7. Calidre

IGN:
    Calidre
    That's still a QOL, daily is a very small amount per day and IT's QOL since it was given a small increase to slightly help with newer player's balance, therefore a QOL feature since it's making the QOL for newer players overall better

8. Prometheus

Prometheus Active Member Premium

IGN:
    PrometheusTheMad
    The idea of suggestions isn't really sympathy for the Devs, if it can't be done or will take away too much time from them they will hold off until the believe suitable, it isn't really our decision to how much time and effort they have available, some suggestions can get massive support and not be implemented for a long time or at all, that's the staff teams decision really. While I don't see this feature being added anytime soon I do support the idea and hopefully some day the Devs will come back around to it and implement as it would be a nice feature indeed

Edit: this is already essentially done on a larger scale for each individual island, not even chunks but to coordinates that do not align, this feature is likely easy enough to implement in itself, the hardest part I see will be the UI and how players can toggle it without breaking anything, on that it is likely another thing making it so it can override the entire island setting as it is within it.

9. Ca1

Ca1 Senior Member

Care to explain why? OP has said that it is a toggleable option AND given reason as to why they want it. Any suggestion ever could be seen as "kinda unnecessary". But giving that as your feedback hardly means anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Megan

Megan Experienced Member Premium

IGN:
    Meggann
    Personally I do agree that it’s a hassle. Not just from the developers perspective but from a command perspective.

This can cause complications with mobs crossing chunks, mobs despawning and even complications with the commands being set to parameters.

I like the idea a lot and it would be a nice implement however it does come with many complications/questions. We do have this implemented on a whole Island scale that does work and there are ways to light up areas etc etc. I’m not ruling it out at all but as I said - it’s a much larger picture.

I will stay neutral on this purely for the reasons stated above. Thanks for sharing your idea, I like it :)