Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by UpsettedFizz, Jun 18, 2018.

1. UpsettedFizz

UpsettedFizz Experienced Member

Kinda surprised I didn't see any threads about this. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong section or maybe there just isn't much in the name of the Smash community here.

Here's the video played during the Nintendo Direct at E3 if you haven't seen it yet.

Anyway. Thoughts? Angry that Waluigi isn't joining the fight? Shocked that Ridley is? Echo fighters? Overall thoughts about every fighter in history returning and the new mechanics?

Personally, I don't really care that Waluigi didn't make it. Could he be a fun character? Sure, but Sakurai said it himself: he feels that people like him insincerely (in layman's terms, people only want him in Smash for the memes). I'd bet the game is too far into development to add him before the game releases on December 7, but I don't doubt the possibility that Sakurai adds him as DLC.

I almost died when I saw the Ridley trailer. Never in my wildest dreams did I think the madman Daddy Sakurai would add Ridley to Smash. He's too big, but you heard it: they made it work. He's definitely combo bait, but how about that level 3 focus punch crumple on sweetspot down B, AND 59% to complement it? That's more than Roy's fully charged Flare Blade. From the footage I've seen it looks like that true combos into forward smash, so if Ridley hits you with that anywhere above like 50% you're probably dead.

It's at this point I would like to share this tweet.

Echo Fighters. Daisy?? Didn't see it coming either, but not in the same way as Ridley. Maybe it's harsh, but I just thought she was too irrelevant. I mean, the biggest thing to her name is a track in Mario Kart. Anyway, I really like the idea of Echo Fighters. It means the devs are acknowledging the fact that these are duplicate fighters, but also that they have their own unique quirks: for example, Marth's tipper and Lucina's lack of one. I also find it amazing that they're adding every single character back. I loved playing as Wolf in Brawl and I'm super stoked to be able to play as every character again. I also might finally pick up Zelda because she doesn't have her ugly af Twilight Princess design anymore. On the topic of Zelda, I'm already a pretty potent Link player in Smash 4, so I'm dumb excited to play as BOTW Link in SSBU.

New mechanics. Let's get the elephant in the room out of the way first: changes to defensive options. You are now punished with greater end lag for each successive spot/air dodge and roll. Perfect shielding has also changed, but I'll leave that to your own research since it'll take a while to explain. While I'm sure I'll have to get used to not playing defensively (which is necessary with certain characters in Smash 4), I think I'll come to like these changes. Like everyone is saying, it promotes more aggressive play and I think that's just what the game needs. What I think the most significant change seems to be though is directional air dodging. Right now, wavelanding can be done which teases the possibility of wavedashing (no one was able to do it at E3). Personally, I wouldn't want them to implement this. I definitely want to see the game become more competitive and aggressive than Smash 4, but not more technical in the sense that Melee is. I'd rather see wins and win myself through grit, perseverance, and adaptability rather than sheer tech skill. Wavedashing would just be the tip of the iceberg, as I see it. Directional air dodging offstage also appears to be an SD. Too much end lag to be able to recover after using it. Interesting.
    All the other technical changes were pretty minor and seem like they will also serve to promote more aggressive play, such as the dash cancel and the addition of a single input for attacking out of a short hop. From what I've heard, rage is still a thing and throw combos have been nerfed across the board, which means Bayo is still OP and Mario has lost a bit of his BnB, which kinda sucks for me as a Smash 4 Mario main. The pros who played at E3 are still saying he's an easy top tier though, so I'm not too worried. Dthrow + UpTilt strings didn't work on a good chunk of the cast anyway.

Alright, I think I've rambled enough. Please share your thoughts below. I'm dying to know what everyone is thinking about this game!

Tl;dr: I'm hyped as hell for this game.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  2. RocketWarrior

RocketWarrior Well-Known Member

I'm super pumped that Wolf O'Donnel and Snake make their return. Ridley seems pretty darn cool to play as, and I feel like the game has changed enough for everyone to enjoy it, and come with a new challenge. Not entirely sure of this, but I think no one group has an advantage, besides maybe Smash 4 players because it's similar and maybe a few extra players and mechanics. I love the Smash Ultimate GameCube controller, and I imagine Melee fans will come with excitement knowing their favorite controller can once again allow them to master smash.

As a side note, I like the focus on faster, more action filled gameplay, with quicker smashes that "get you back to the action quicker."

I don't think I know a single person who isn't excited for 3 Links, including BoTW Link (Yesss) in this version.

I really wish this game thrives, and I can't wait to play.
    (Nintendo's stock dropped 6% because of E3 because of too much smash, their stock and success of the company is dependent on this in a way, unless Metroid 4 comes out of nowhere.)

Can't wait to really delve into this game! ^_^

3. snow_454

snow_454 Active Member

im probably gonna play it, i played all the ones before and it will probably be just as fun as every other one was. I love those games, they are so entertaining.

4. DarkSummoner

DarkSummoner Member

I’m forced to buy a Switch just to play this game ;-;

5. User19980814

User19980814 Well-Known Member

Where the f*** is Waluigi?

6. DarkSummoner

DarkSummoner Member

hes in the assist trophy :D

7. User19980814

User19980814 Well-Known Member

FTFY:

8. CraftyPenguin

CraftyPenguin Member

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate looks like a really fun game with amazing new characters, but I wish it was also for Wii U because Nintendo Switches cost a lot of money.