Steves guide to a sucsessful starter skyblock

Discussion in 'Discussions Archive' started by Steve333333333, Mar 26, 2014.

?

Did this help?

1. yes

50.0%
  2. No

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Steve333333333

Steve333333333 Member

Hi. this is my tutorial on how to make a successful starter skyblock, and then ways of keeping on being successful.

Step 1-Make a island.

Making a island is generally a good start.

Step 2-The basics. as soon as you spawn after typing /newisland, cut down your tree. maybe pick up some dirt and make a platform around the base to catch any stray saplings, as these are quite valuable. Another method is to just cut down the first 3 logs, make a pick and mine some cobble, then make a platform and finish with the tree. Once you have your wood, make a crafting table and a pick, nothing else, as wood is precious at this stage, and you will have enough stone in a second. Replant your sapling, then make your cobblestone generator. It should be something like this-

upload_2014-3-26_16-21-0.png

Once you have mined a few blocks, take out the water, and use your other ice block to make an infinite water source. They are either a 2X2 grid, or 3 blocks in a row of water. Generate cobble for a bit, and gather about 2 stacks. Your tree should have re-grown by now, so turn the stone into slabs (Not all of it, about 21. We are going for efficiency, so it doesn’t matter how cheap they look) and make a proper platform around your tree. This next step isn’t strictly necessary, but it is a good idea. Now, make a platform underneath your island, don’t want to lose any of that precious dirt. To do this, take out one of the corners of your island. Place a water block there, and then return the bucket to the chest, as this next bit is a little bit risky, and you wouldn’t what to lose that bucket. Now, take about half a stack of cobble, not slabs as they glitch and might nock you off, and, whilst swimming down the waterfall, make a tower about 4 blocks down. Now, put a block underneath you, and start making that platform. Leave the water there for now, so that you can get back up and have a chance to redeem yourself if you fall. Once you have done the platform, start to take away all of the dirt, leaving one grass block if you don’t want to use the one that you get from your daily voting. Take the lava out of the cobblestone generator, and put it in the chest. Place a block to get rid of the water, and make a new cobblestone generator on the platform below. Move your chest down and make a little platform with stairs or a ladder around your bedrock. You should now have a basic island, with a tree platform, a chest, crafting table and cobblestone generator. In the next section I will explain how to start improving your island.

Step 3-Improving your island.

Ok, so you now have a basic island. This should have taken around half a hour. Before yor read on, remember that mobs don't spawn, so don't make a mob platform. Now, it is time to expand. The first step is to expand. Spend a good 10-20 minutes generating cobble, and get around 20 stacks. Start building a platform, around 20-30 blocks square. You could make a circle if you feeling Fancy, but a plain old square is still good. Use some of that dirt in one corner of your platform to make a bigger tree farm, as you will need wood in the future. Set up a wheat or carrot farm with the remaining dirt. It can be any design that you want, just make sure that it leaves room for other things. Now that you are set up, I would recommend start using /warp mob and /ma j. Both of these give quit decent profits, and are fun at the same time. A good idea for these is to collect large amounts of Bonemeal, buy 2-high flowers form /warp grass, use bonemeal on them to grow more, and then turn them to dye and sell the products. You can get a double chest quite quickly, and sell them for a diamond each. While we are on the topic of making money, even just sitting at a cobble generator makes quite good profits. It is boring and reparative, ill grant you that, But once you have built up enough diamonds, you will never have to generate again. You might even build enough diamonds to buy a donor rank, Witch just brings in more profits.

Step 4-Profit

Ok, so in the last section I touched a bit on profit, now I will go into a bit more detail. The first thing I can say is this: Don’t be afraid to spend. If it will increase your profit, and you have the stuff to buy it, then buy it. Spawners are always good, and if you do get one, set up a grinder, get someone to set it to skeleton, as they are the most useful mobs, and just sit there grinding away for about half an hour. Spawners are much more safer than /warp mob, but there is still some chance of dying. Cows are good to if you prepared to do some Redstone and use some grass. If you get 2, then set up a disc farm by creating 2 separate chambers, one with the skeleton spawner and one creeper. Have 2 separate drop chambers with a hole at head height. Stand in front of the creeper chamber a block or two back. When the skeletons try to shoot you, they instead hit the creepers, giving you lots of lovely discs. These sell for about 10 grass a set, and you will get a tonne in no time. An auto melon farm is also a good idea, because they are cheap and produce large amounts of melons AFK. These also work for pumpkins. Another simple farm is an Auto cactus farm. To do this, have your cactus growing, and have a block one block up the left or to the right. Like this-

upload_2014-3-26_16-21-16.png

As soon as the cactus grows, there is a block next to it, so it breaks, and falls into a water stream or other transportation device. You could hook up the water streams from all of your auto farms to an AFK machine, so that you generate large amounts of items without pressing a key.

This is the end of my little tutorial. You could follow it word for word of just completely ignore it, it is not my problem. I would be surprised if would read the whole thing, but it is a helpful guide in my opinion, and It is the strategy that I use whenever I Start a new block. IF you have any questions of things that you think should be added please comment below. I will add more detailed diagrams of the Auto melon, cactus, pumpkin and wheat farms soon.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  2. iridium174

iridium174 Active Member

It's enough to cut just 2 blocks of wood at start and left your starting tree to hang on untill you build a platform around. That gives you 8 planks - 4 for crafting table, 4 for wooden pickaxe.

3. Steve333333333

Steve333333333 Member

But it takes i for a pickaxe, because you need 2 for sticks and 3 for the head. Its still a good idea though.

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Well-Known Member

nononono. heres what you do. pay your slave a diamond to start your island. then, take over. end-of-starting-island-stage. dats what i did. I had my slave(aka my coop) do it all. i pretended to be afk...

5. iridium174

iridium174 Active Member

My fault :L Of course you'll need 5 planks for pickaxe, so you have to break 3 wooden blocks at start. And you will use the rest of sticks to make stone pickaxes.

6. CoffeeForLife

CoffeeForLife Member

I think that is it alright :)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  7. Steve333333333

Steve333333333 Member

th
    thanks

8. LMurph007

LMurph007 Active Member

Good guide

9. Steve333333333

Steve333333333 Member

thanks

10. Krissy

Krissy f̺͆o̺͆r̺͆g̺͆m̺͆i̺͆n̺͆ Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

My tips and ways a tad bit different:
    1. Dont worry about making a platform for mobs to spawn. The server, unlike the map has natural spawning off. It will take some time to get a mob spawner cage. The 2 sources for mob drops is /warp animal for food and /warp mob for mobs drops (but no zombie drops and you will need to leave all valuables at home.)
    2. You dont cut down the whole tree. Only cut till the logs are inline with the leaves when you look up. Then make your cobble gen and get enough cobble to make a platform around your tree. You will need to decide the best time to cut down the rest of the tree based on clear lag. If you see a 1 minute warning, dont cut the tree down. If you already did and you get the warning, leave your island until clear lag clear entities message appears.
    3. Lastly While profit is fun, dont let it guide you. Being creative is how you have fun. Try not to get others to donate for you, as there is risks with real world trading. Always make sure you can trust the person who is upgrading for you. I never encourage real world trades. You do not have to be a donor to have fun. And having lots of stuff is not important.
    Basically you are not under any pressure to become rich. You can trade your basic things and make some profit, but always be realistic with your prices. Eventually you may get a diamond, but you should be content with a diamond pic and iron. Spawners are secondary: why buy one when you have warp mob?

11. blaq

blaq Active Member

Don't forget to vote, and don't be afraid to ask for repairs and gods from donors. Even if you pay 1 grass/iron for a god enchant, it'll pay off heaps when you pick lasts 2-3x longer.

12. Steve333333333

Steve333333333 Member

I'll add the first part, the second is allready in there, and the last part I do and don't agree with. As I said, /warp mob is a good place to start, but a grinder has no chance of killing you, and you get all of the drops, rather that loosing them to other players standing where you kill the mon. I do agree with the iron tools though, as other than picks, they will break if you don't have /repair, and a god iron axe is plenty good enough. I also agree with the profit part. I probably have one of the largest islands on the server(in my opinion) and a whopping total of 20 dimonda in riches, 10 of witch I got from just voting daily on hellblock, and trading them for .net currency, That is because rather than being bored out of my mind playing a game, I use it what it is meant to be for: having fun and relaxing, not generating cobble. That is all good to start with, but don't Spend hours generating cobble, and end up having a tiny island and a chest witha few diamonds.

13. Krissy

Krissy f̺͆o̺͆r̺͆g̺͆m̺͆i̺͆n̺͆ Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

Until you get a spawner I suggest warp mob. Grinders are ok for not dying, but when i didnt have /god, smacking mobs was much more entertaining and fun ;)

14. blaq

blaq Active Member

Also, just because you have a grinder doesn't mean you wont die. Accidents happen, especially if you're making a disc grinder, which is highly dangerous, since the creepers And Skeles need line of sight to you, they can explode.

15. DustAndRust

DustAndRust Active Member

blaq or u can have a contraption that makes music disks such as Ethos

16. blaq

blaq Active Member

Hoppers are disabled, and you still need line of sight for the skeles to shoot the creepers, which means theres a chance the creepers will blow up in ur face when you're collecting the discs.

17. Steve333333333

Steve333333333 Member

It dosent use hoppers, and you can stop the creepers blowing up by putting a sticky piston 2 blocks above the hole, then a block, and a lever next to it. When you collect the discs, flick the lever. the creepers now cannot see you, and will not explode. While the skeletons are killing the creepers, you can just stand back a couple of blocks, and the creepers wont explode.

18. Gemmalove

Gemmalove Guest

This is pretty good :)