Forums Staff Applications suck.

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Ca1, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Emerald

Emerald Senior Member

IGN:
    TheEpicEmerald
    I would like to note that a mentor program was talked about not too long ago and has been in the works, but I haven't heard an update about that. It is a way to change how staff applications do work as being able to enter a mentoring process is a little bit different and something that might actually work. However, some updates about these topics would be really good as there hasn't been too much said about these threads.

2. Teeler

Teeler i am kenough

IGN:
    TeelerSwift69
    While this may be an older thread, this does seem more relevant still today I feel. I think that with myself reading through all the posts in this thread, I see a lot of amazing points brought up.

I like the concept of staff applications being open to the public, as it gives the community an idea of who's applying and all that, and I know the community can often give off an important voice, although sometimes they can feel quite upset and it is easy to get upset when you see an application be put up for so long, that you wonder how they weren't promoted. I am genuinely unsure if I agree more with them being public, or private to admins/supermods. I feel like it is so easy to lose motivation if you've had your app open for so long, just to still not get a response. I personally think that I know it may take a while sometimes to decide if someone is worthy of being on the staff or not, but if someone has an app open for so long, they should be let know if they've been rejected or not. I saw a lot of great points from ex staff members and ex applicants, where there seems to be more pressure actually applying rather than actually moderating? I kind of see that because applicants have way higher standards than the people who actually have the power to run things? I am not a fan of the idea of people not supporting due to "being inactive" because hey, everyone has lives outside of this, and chances are they're just not active on one gamemode. I've seen staff say it's fine if you dominate on one server over the other, as long as you have access to be on the other at any point. I feel like it's great to see some staff have a bit of a say, or have their opinions welcomed.

I'm not entirely sure on the argument of being active/inactive being used, obviously if you're only online for like two days a week, then that's not really helpful at all, but I also noticed that a lot of people who say "you're not active" to someone, the player isn't actually online a lot of the time that the applicant is on, because at the end of the day, timezones exist. I know we have adults on the staff team, but in the past quite a few moderators have been children, and we have a lot of teenagers on the staff team, still studying, working, whatever. Everyone has a life outside of this, and as much as you should show dedication to the server, you cannot be on it all the time and we all seem to be more understanding of that about our current staff, so why not share the same energy for the applicants?

Now I also feel like it'd be great for more staff to voice their opinions like the public do, obviously keeping it professional, like if a staff member thinks that a player is worthy of being on the team, it would be amazing to see them explain their choice and why they, as a staff member, think you as the applicant would be great to work with. This could show a lot of unity between players, applicants and staff members in a way if that makes sense? At the end of the day, the decision is up to the promotion team, but if staff were more willing to voice their opinions (I have seen most do so, and I am living for it, I'm just looking for consistency) then I feel like more communication between staff, players and applicants can make it a more pleasant experience for everyone.

I am a player from the past who applied, and while a majority of people who reacted showed support, there were comments that stood out to show me not being a great fit, and it was something I personally tried to work through. I also was not the most mature and while I was able to achknowledge it, it was something that was a bit rough and it got to a point where I was struggling to take some feedback which sounded silly, repetitive, but it was stuff I needed to know. Obviously with my history, there is no way I could ever apply because of my past history, despite it being 4 years ago. I also know very little about this server at the moment as it's been a long time LOL. Even if I am a better person than I used to be in the past, it's just not something I think I would be passionate about. I will say that even if I was not the perfect candidate, I feel that some of my support I Received was personally biased, despite having ex staff and current staff at the time supporting me. The standards for applicants are higher than the standards for the staff team and that is something I actually noticed, maybe not at the time, but looking back now. So while I have not been a staff member here before, I have applied for a decent chunk of time in the past and felt a lot of stress from it, trying to please everyone. It's okay to not be perfect and I just hope everyone remembers that! I just felt this was something I could use as an example to show how I understand the ideas being presented here.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1