Skyblock Skyblock Update - May 8th, 2020

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Noobcrew, May 8, 2020.

1. PCcoolguy100

PCcoolguy100 Senior Member

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100
    The problem with saying this is that Classic ran on 1.8 and had quite a few plugins that optimised the game and the server handling a bit. while 1.12.2 is definitely the best optimised since then... it 100% isn't perfect and has many flaws that can destroy servers quite a bit :)

You can look up videos/vlogs/infos on it if you really wish to learn more. All I'm going to say is 1.8 is hellavalot faster than 1.12.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Cyk753

Cyk753 Super Moderator Super Moderator Staff Applicant Advisor

I thought flying machines stopped being allowed from the /classic days because they crossed over into people's islands and could be considered as griefing or just rude when the machine gets caught or blocked by a build.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bERYbERRY

bERYbERRY c000000000000000kies Builder Premium

IGN:
    BertBerry
    I think you can still make and use them but they wont be able to cross past the island border

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pillow

Pillow blanky Premium

IGN:
    Pilberry
    They're still possible just get blocked by the border as BertBerry said. Although you can restart it on boundaries and get it moving over if they're both 199x.

5. PCcoolguy100

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100
    Hey that’s what I said, which is what Togpuss said. I don’t think I said it here though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. UrsusMaiorus

UrsusMaiorus Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Ursusmaiorus
    Noobcrew how is 1.16 looking for optimasation

7. PCcoolguy100

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100
    While it's not good, it is also not bad. Some things are better, like chunk loading and stuff, but when will that actually happen on Skyblock when most players stay within the same 40 chunks that they have the pleasure of owning? Most things that actually matter (like the optimisations that the development team have put in place to prevent the server from crashing at 70 players) aren't improved in 1.16.

It also changes the itemIDs from numbered to worded, which is quite hard to develop for various things, like the fact that they'll have to change entire plugins from numbered IDs to worded IDs, which is a pain in the donkey when you have 90+ different plugins in one server, that most plugins are either no longer updated or made specifically for said server.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Splat1221

Splat1221 Active Member

IGN:
    SplatBerry
    Whens then new warp info coming? HMU crew :heart: :heart: would love to design it

9. Archie38

Archie38 Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Archie38
    With all due respect, if we are going 1.16, im glad i quit.
    My PC would pull a hiroshima if I logged on

UrsusMaiorus why the disagree man

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 11, 2020
  10. RaimonBerry

RaimonBerry Active Member

IGN:
    RaimonBerry
    just imagine a bee generator LOL

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. KhalDrogo

KhalDrogo Experienced Member

IGN:
    Drogo
    They also could have been used to steal placed heads as the heads just pop off when when these things hit them. Imagine how many you could have gotten if your scored the new island right in the middle of warp Halloween on classic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Boltgreywing

Boltgreywing Member

It is certainly good insight from Noobcrew and while that is the case there is a few things that make performance worse. One is the amount of plugins and two is the amount of Redstone devices that are being used. Redstone behaves a lot better in version 1.13 version with the exception of pistons and beacons. So there is a significant improvement on that base as 1.12 is very bad in terms of performance in that regard. However in terms of flying machines your better off running them in 1.14 as that is where the light engine was upgraded. You don't want use flying machine in the aquatic update as it gets only 15 tps per second.

If you want to use dynamite 1.15 is better in terms of performance for that regard and there are videos to boot for that. Only a few cases where 1.12 does better then 1.15. The nether update also changes fishing as that was a known cause of lag in version 1.12 - 15.2 So fish will not spawn that are farther then 24 blocks away. So yes fishing farms cause significant lag to skyblock in general till upgraded to 1.16.

So here are a few videos to showcase this.

Reducing the amount of players on a server is a good idea, but you might need to limit how big redstone machinary can be and entities are as those type of farms cause a lot of lag. The other reason people prefer 1.8 is due to the change in the combat update in 1.9. If you add multiple servers that be better. Or better yet make main hub hold 1000 players, then each individual island structure hold 100 per 10 worlds. Cause the main hub won't add that much lag.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. PCcoolguy100

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100
    Cool, but I hope you do realise this was released more than a month and a half ago and since performance issues have been resolved.

And it's obvious you haven't been playing here for a long time, lemme tell you why.

Classic (Server since 2012) - 1.8. This was the main server, until
    Skyblock Survival - was released in 2018. This is 1.12.2 and will stay on 1.12.2, at least for the time being. Yes, you know that 1.15 is less laggy in many terms than 1.12 is - yet you don't really acknowledge PaperMC.

We want to fit in as many players as possible on a server as featured as possible - 1.8 is the best, I've seen our beloved owner curse 1.12 performance and wishing we had stayed on 1.8 on multiple occasions.

More than 50 players on any 1.15 server causes it to lag - we don't want that. 1.12.2 is slightly better at 75, and only increasable through PaperMC. There's nothing anybody here can do until Mojang seriously starts working on optimising their spaghetti.

Currently we're hitting 150 players at peak times with little to no affects to the server performance, we're good for now.

Finally, TNT is disabled and will not be reenabled. Also Redstone machinery isn't the main lag problem on the server. Entities are.

In other words, 1.12.2 is much, much better than 1.15. If we switched to 1.15 I don't want to think about how many optimisations will have to be made just to accommodate 100 players again.

edit; didn't realise Cyk linked you here, my bad

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  14. Lubomirr

Lubomirr New Member

i wonder why tnt works differently, i think its because the graphics are different, and by works i mean lags and all

15. PCcoolguy100

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100
    literally nothings different about it except that your game won’t have a seizure every time something explodes - a few code optimisations really can help something do minor :p

TNT explosions isn’t a problem here because TNT is disabled, you can get tnt and you can place & ignite it - however no explosion will occur.

16. Boltgreywing

Boltgreywing Member

I have played the game off and on. I don't really know about the performance issue with papermc so I can't comment on it. I can say the performance is pretty good. I do know of one server that has over 10,000 players on a 1.15 skyblock server and doesn't seem to lag all that much. I don't know all the details of what the server has that allows it to reach that level of players. So if the problem is entities how does one handle that issue?

17. PCcoolguy100

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100
    I highly doubt a single server can hold 10k players...

These "servers" are not a single server. How it's managed? Something called having multiple servers.

When you connect to this server that you're talking about, you're either connecting to one of it's proxies or to a single server that's linked - mind you it's not that hard to link it - to the main server. Things like your chat, everything else is put onto the main server and is managed by that main server.

Another thing is something called BungeeCord, which is easily configurable and allows a large number of servers to be put together to proxy into this one big server. Thing like the High Pickle, which has multiple lobbies and when you connect to a Minigame, you change servers onto one of it's proxy servers.

Our skyblock server (owned by the all-famous Noobcrew) doesn't have a wide variety of servers, and is rather simple. It's all on one server, on one world. Which isn't the best for performance, but it does well.

Instead how our BungeeCord is configured is by connecting Skyblock.net, Skyblock.org and Skywars.com into one server, the hub server (/hub). You connect to the hub server when you connect for the first time to Skyblock.net. It's quite a nice little thing to have.