Repeat Offenders

Discussion in 'Discussions Archive' started by Hoecobo, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Hoecobo

Hoecobo Senior Member

Okay this is really starting to get annoying and just plain confusing to me. A lot of mods recently have been citing the repeat offender "rule" when kicking/muting people. I'm not talking about one specific incident so don't get pissy at me. So the whole repeat offender thing I understand regarding bans, but for kicks and mutes I don't understand the correlation. Let me explain the logic behind this.

The reason that the repeat offender theory applies well to bans is because almost all bans happen because of a players either:
    1. Not knowing the rules (usually the first ban)
    2. Intent to break rules and cause harm to the server. (usually 2nd or more bans).
    There's obviously exceptions to this, but my main point is that the repeat offender scenario can be applied well in this sense because you know that the player is causing harm on purpose. Aka they shouldn't get unbanned. As for kicks and mutes this makes little sense to me.

There is a host of offenses that are kick worthy on the servers; almost all (if not all) are chat related offenses. Cursing, spam, caps, etc. Alright I'm going to delve into each of these separately.
    Cursing
    Alright show of hands, who's in high school or middle school? Yep I would guess around 60%+. My point being irl I swear without even thinking about it because that's the culture in school. I swear around my friends freely and no one gives a *edited*. I type at like 50-60 words per min, and half the time I just type something so fast that's not allowed with not even thinking. I know that's a bit more of a stretch, but you get my point. There's a large gray area on what words are allowed and not allowed on these servers. Not even kidding you, I got kicked by someone (who's not a mod anymore praise the heavens) for saying hell. On hellblock >.> Just another thing that really needs to be outlined here.

Spam
    More gray area in the rules yay!! There's no rule on what qualifies as spam in the rules very clearly. But honestly I've seen some reports for mods that kicked for the puniest amount of spam. It's pathetic. Not really much else to say on this tbh. Spam to a player might not be spam to a mod.

Caps
    Even more gray areas!!! Again depending on the mod they have different interpretations of what qualifies as too many caps.

So this thread has really become three separate things
    1. Fix the damn rules already so it's more clear. It's so general right now
    2. Kickable offenses are usually hasty in thought and muting someone outright just because of their record is wrong. Every day is a new day and just because someone slipped up on wording or used a few too many "spammy" characters they shouldn't be muted.
    3. I want to see some proof from admin+ on the repeat offender rule, because I checked the rules before righting this, and I can't find anything referencing it.

Note: Don't start a flame war. This is meant for civilized discussion; You'll just get banned if you flame.

2. Jess

Jess Senior Member

IGN:
    beautiiful
    Up until recently, I always thought it was a verbal warning, 3 kicks, 10-15 minute mute, and then a tempban for all chat offences...

3. EquineShanghai

EquineShanghai Experienced Member

IGN:
    EquineShanghai
    :t I started cussing when I was in first grade so... Being in elementary school, most people could still probably tolorate it

4. Nala

Nala Active Member

oi oi oi

5. EquineShanghai

IGN:
    EquineShanghai
    Nala, people cuss, you've just got to get used to it :/ I've cussed a lot less because you want me to already

6. Jess

Jess Senior Member

IGN:
    beautiiful
    The issue people have with cussing is ridiculous. They are just words. f*** means sex, and if you have a problem with sex (which surprisingly a lot of people do), tell your mother she should've swallowed the cum-shot that was you.

I myself am no longer an avid cusser, but I still throw in some words here and there. I have worked volunteer in elementary schools and I can definitely say that at least 80% of 8-13 year olds swear. A lot more than most teens do. It's part of culture, and it's not a part of culture that's explicitly wrong.

PG means parental guidance, and if parents have no problems with their children cursing, diddly widdly tweens on the Internet shouldn't either. Let's put it this way: if Twitter/tumblr feminists don't have a problem with it, then no one should. Because they have a problem with everything.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  7. EquineShanghai

IGN:
    EquineShanghai
    Doesn't it go in your butt part? Nevermind. I just don't get why they also filtered away damn and piss

8. Jess

Jess Senior Member

IGN:
    beautiiful
    I didn't go crazy on you. You were never mentioned in my post, stop being so self centered :^)

9. EquineShanghai

IGN:
    EquineShanghai
    She meant the rating... :tearsofjoy:

10. Jess

Jess Senior Member

IGN:
    beautiiful
    If she thinks that one single rating is called going crazy, she's more over sensitive than Edited

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2016
  11. Teeler

Teeler i am kenough

IGN:
    TeelerSwift69
    o_O

Hoe, this is so true.

12. Lemonade

Lemonade Boss Member

IGN:
    Lemonade__
    According to the 99% of the Skyblock community, "moderators make up rules," so we can't do anything about it "unless CypriotMerks enforces the rules." Is this directed at "moderators" or "administrators"?

What else I don't understand is that most of the community wants stricter guidelines, but if we kick you for "minimal amounts of caps," we are suddenly power-abusive. Either I have read every single thread wrong or there is a lot of confusion. If you could explain, that'd be great.

13. Hoecobo

Hoecobo Senior Member

I mostly just want a more clear set of rules. Like now it's kick for caps, and I would like kick for x amount of caps in a line. And exact punishments and guidelines that correspond to each infraction.

14. Jess

Jess Senior Member

IGN:
    beautiiful
    We want a set guideline. Not some "every moderator does things differently" bull.

15. Teeler

Teeler i am kenough

IGN:
    TeelerSwift69
    To be honest, that would be nice.

16. Lemonade

Lemonade Boss Member

IGN:
    Lemonade__
    Do you all want this for strictly chat rules or all punishments?

17. Stel

Stel Guest

We want no rules at all.

18. dolpinmilk

dolpinmilk Well-Known Member

I don't see why caps is such a big deal. As long as messages aren't cancerous and aids giving; it's fine. We don't need a set like 8 letters per sentence or some bs. If it's obnoxious, yeah kick them. No need to be like 5 caps and flip out

19. Demon_Umbreona

Demon_Umbreona Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Demon_Umbreona
    I think that the chat rules should be more clear and have a "set" rule, and not have all mods have there interpretations of them.

20. Lemonade

Lemonade Boss Member

IGN:
    Lemonade__
    Actually, if you look in the rules in-depth, it states this:
    Pwnfilter blocks 4 or less letters in a sentence, so mods should actually kick for 5 or more letters.