Skyblock Preventing Mapart Reselling (feat. others) (updated)

Discussion in 'Server Gameplay Suggestions' started by PCcoolguy100, May 18, 2020.

1. DRlFT

DRlFT Active Member

IGN:
    DRlFT
    This would be a great reason to continue selling maps atm I'm stopping all sales at my shop

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. JJ54KES

JJ54KES Active Member

I support anything that can be done to prevent ppl copying maps that arnt theirs.
    I suggested a cartography table which is a feature of 1.13 i belive.
    With this your able to lock a map.
    But im told if the server went to 1.13 then we could only have 20 players lol.

3. Pillow

Pillow blanky Premium

IGN:
    Pilberry
    It's 1.14 and the only reason (as far as I'm aware!) we haven't updated is the skyblock plugin and stability.

4. PCcoolguy100

PCcoolguy100 Senior Member

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100
    PSA: 1.14+ is terrible and very laggy. This is not the fault of the server host/owner of the server.

I suggest giving this a read - the default 1.14.4 server with 2 GB of RAM allocated will crash if a player moves :D

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Ca1

Ca1 Senior Member

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. KhalDrogo

KhalDrogo Experienced Member

IGN:
    Drogo
    Would it be possible to simply disable copying of maps altogether. This of course means as you make them you will have to decide on how many copies you will make and sell.
    You could simply make more than you expect to sell and those that don’t sell, you can just reuse for new map arts.
    Yes, this means an initial outlay of maps and there will come a time when you run out and can’t sell anymore but maybe limited editions are more attractive to buyers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  7. No longer on forums

No longer on forums Member

Just saying, people are going to start pirating directly from people's map art islands if this happens. For example, JJ54KES builds at the top layer of his island and it turns out he makes map arts there(I wanted a map of his island to navigate my way around so I used a map) This type of copying also needs to be prevented.

8. Ca1

Ca1 Senior Member

This may be the only instance of a public island where maps are created. I also don't believe how JJ could make maps on his island and sell them there too as the map will be updated every time it is at the island & the canvas is edited.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. KhalDrogo

KhalDrogo Experienced Member

IGN:
    Drogo
    Can’t see it happening often. If it’s not a single map art, you’d have to be lucky to copy all maps needed to complete the set.

10. PCcoolguy100

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100
    I don’t like this idea - however I do think it’ll fit for the “non-resale” maps. If maps marked not for resale are not able to be copied, that could stop a lot of problems :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. PCcoolguy100

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100
    Sorry for the double-post but I edited this to include WhatsUpDoc's suggestion, originally suggested by Adriansop . I may include Kai776 's suggestion here as well as one yknow, mega-suggestion, but I'm not a huge fan of Kai's suggestion - as it requires work by some of the staff to maintain.

12. PCcoolguy100

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100
    Of course.

I may or may not have said it but maps marked "not for resale" are not able to be copied

13. _SaikiK_

_SaikiK_ Active Member

What about just making the maps illegal to trade and ban them in a trade shop? That would not break ingame mechanics and prevent reselling. Also if if the server support map artists, it would be much more useful if they would give everyone the option to make mapart (aka a centered island).

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  14. _SaikiK_

_SaikiK_ Active Member

Pillow wtf, instead of pressing disagree on every post you should maybe answer yourself lmao

15. Pillow

Pillow blanky Premium

IGN:
    Pilberry
    It's called post farming then, you're only allowed to do that if you don't have rating perms.

16. _SaikiK_

_SaikiK_ Active Member

I don't mean simply answering disagree, but saying why you disagree. Afaik you press disagree on every of my mapart suggestions in this and the other thread without any statements.

17. Rifnos

Rifnos Prison Mike

IGN:
    Rifnos
    I had an idea similar to this. I 100% support.

18. Adriansop

Adriansop Moderator Moderator

IGN:
    Adriansop
    That would require more restrictions than dirt already has. Making an item 'illegal' means staff have to monitor more items, even though they specifically told us they don't want to add rules on map art.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. _SaikiK_

_SaikiK_ Active Member

Yea okay you have good arguments

20. iballisticbunny6

iballisticbunny6 Senior Member

IGN:
    SkyDwag
    I fully support this. There is currently no lack in terms of reselling, making those who worked hard to make sure maparts loose profits to scumbags who resell to make a quick buck without putting in the work. If you want to make a profit on this server, you have to put in the work, it's simple. Also, to those who support this behavior, think about it in the shoes of the original creator.