Please DO NOT give out your personal information on the server.

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by SpicylilPink, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Jesus Christ

Jesus Christ Active Member

IGN:
    i_am_youtuber
    If they use ban manager here they should already have a plugin, all they need is the permission for it.

2. stupidOP

stupidOP Member

IGN:
    stupidOP
    I agree. I do not understand why some people would preform such actions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Michael

Michael Active Member

IGN:
    michael1234
    As stated before by others, I believe that it is very important to know how to stay safe on the internet, especially when it comes to personal information such as phone numbers, home addresses, or even full legal names. With that being said, I also believe that there is some information that does not matter nearly as much. This is not to say that everyone should immediately stop caring about releasing this information, but I believe that aspects of your life such as your first name or general location should not matter as much, as long as you are able to understand the risks that are associated with releasing this information. Ensure that you are never more specific than you need to be; I would never tell someone the street that I live on, but I have no problem specifying the state.

This response is just my personal opinion, and by no means should anyone feel obligated to agree with it. I would also like to stress that no one should be forced to share information that they are not comfortable with other people knowing.

For example, I make no effort to hide my real name or general location. There are over four million people, in the United States alone, with the first name of 'Michael', and I really don't care if people know my name. I personally don't care that people know I live in New Mexico either. Again, this does not mean that anyone else should feel like they have to share this information if they are not comfortable with it.

Problems arise when users, whether accidentally or not, share unique information about themselves, such as their address, phone number, or full name. Information that is this unique and personal like this should never be shared, as things can often get out of hand if it is not handled correctly. It then becomes much more than just a game, as people with access to this information can very easily either spread it or use it for malicious purposes.

Whenever sharing any sort of personal information, no matter how insignificant it may seem, it is best to ask yourself a few questions before publicly displaying it:
    • Could this information be used maliciously?
      • When deciding to make my forums username match my first name in real life, I felt comfortable doing so because I did not feel that sharing my real name could ever cause any harm.
      • I also asked myself this question when deciding to put my location on my profile. New Mexico has a population of approximately two million, spread out over more than 120,000 square miles. From my point of view, there was no harm in narrowing down my location to the size of a small country.
    • Is this information unique? Could it be used to identify or contact you outside of the online platform?
      • For this same reason, I choose to not give out any information more specific than my first name. My full legal name is unique, and could very easily be used to find information that I do not want shared with people I do not know in real life.
      • My first name, Michael, isn't unique. As stated previously, there are over four million people in the United States alone with that name; there is virtually no way for others to find out personal information about me with just my first name.
    • Do you feel uncomfortable sharing this information?
      • Even if the answer was no to the previous questions, do not share personal information if you do not feel comfortable doing so. If you are considering sharing any personal detail about yourself, and do not feel completely comfortable doing so, that is a huge warning that you should not; you will most likely regret it, as you will not be able to take it back.
    • Are you being pressured to do this, in any way?
      • You should never feel pressured to reveal any information about yourself. If you feel that you are only agreeing to something because of peer pressure, stand up for yourself; don't let others make decisions for you. If someone is harassing you in an attempt to force you to share information about yourself, immediately block/ignore them if possible, and report the incident. Harassment, especially in an attempt to gain personal information about a player, is not tolerated under any circumstances.
    If the answer is yes to any of these questions, that is a sign that you should not be sharing that information. With that being said, this does not mean that these are the only questions you should ask. There are quite a few things that should not be shared on the internet, regardless of the circumstances. If you are ever unsure, just don't share it. No one needs to know this information, especially on an online platform. It is much better to keep it private than to share it and regret it later. I always recommend keeping the personal information that is shared with others to a bare minimum; however, if you make the choice to share any personal information, regardless of this warning, you should be certain that the answers to the questions above are no.

Be responsible when deciding what to share and what not to. If you do not believe that you have the necessary experience to make that decision for yourself, just don't do it. Be careful with the information that you willingly give out. If there is any doubt in your mind, or any possibility that it could be maliciously used, don't share it.

Stay safe!​

• Agree x 4
    • Informative x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Cookie x 1
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  4. Marcy

Marcy Apostlé of Falcons Premium

IGN:
    Marcawn
    Note: Hackers or Staff of Groups have your IP, means the IP shows where you live but this happens super rarely, Just get something to protect your IP (If you don't want people from the internet to know where you live) And Stay Safe!

5. archerexpert777

archerexpert777 Senior Member

IGN:
    simparch777
    If you're doing stupid things like saying s*** to other people and not using your common sense (which your parents should've taught you) it isn't a bad place at all.

Tbh the people giving their phone numbers might be fake ones, so you never know if they are real or not.

If someone does ask for your phone number, just give them a fake one. It can be anything that is not related to you or your family. Literally can be anything. One example can be a random pizza store miles away from your house or the nearest FBI telephone number, which is what I often give.

6. SpicylilPink

SpicylilPink Experienced Member Premium

IGN:
    SpicylilPink
    I think you miss understood the purpose of this post, this post is jut to warn people about what could happen, not what will. And to hopefully make any person who never gave sharing their information a second thought will actually think about what they are doing now.

Following that, astro_will very clearly said CAN BE, not will always be. The internet is a dangerous place when you don't take certain precautions for your own well-being. And the player who gave out those numbers did it by choice, no one forced them, yes it could have been fake numbers, but what is to stop someone else from seeing that and following in those footsteps because now they think it's okay.

I believe the whole "common sense" argument is very invalid, because how are you supposed to compare the intelligence of a young impressionable and STILL GROWING mind. The ability to think of the possible outcomes is something scientifically proven that you are not born with. Early childhood development only focuses on the now, and what am I doing right at this second. Not what will happen in a few days if I tell someone my phone number, which possibly has my area code in it.

Also Not everyones parents went through these concerns with their children because a lot of parents don't understand the internet themselves. I know my mom never had the internet safety talk with me.

This post was simply a warning, that was not meant to start any arguments or create bad interactions.

• Like Like x 1
  7. archerexpert777

IGN:
    simparch777
    I get what you mean, my point is that when you are in the internet you should be well behaved, as you're in real life. :p

The internet is a dangerous place if you place yourself in situations that can harm you. The people who decide to give out their phone numbers often times lack the knowledge to realize that you are not supposed to do that. That's why we should parents should talk about how kids should be mindful and make sure they follow a set of rules to keep them safe.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  8. Bossgamer

Bossgamer Super Moderator Super Moderator

IGN:
    Bossyy
    Thank you for sharing this. It's a really important subject to be expressed, especially for the younger children who play Skyblock who may not know the dangers of the internet.

I would also like to signify to people who don't recognise the dangers that if they ever feel like they're putting themselves in a situation that is risk-taking or they are being peer-pressured by players to release such private information, it is best to walk away from the players and to stop contact with them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ItsRed

ItsRed Well-Known Member

IGN:
    HeyItsRed
    Thank you for raising awareness!

I personally think giving out your full name is not as bad as the others but prove me wrong

Everything else i agree with fully

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  10. SpicylilPink

IGN:
    SpicylilPink
    I think I may be misunderstanding what you are saying here?
    I said "PLEASE DO NOT EVER tell anyone where you live, what your number is, or what your real and full name is." So I am agreeing that giving out your full name is bad.

11. ItsRed

ItsRed Well-Known Member

IGN:
    HeyItsRed
    just realized how I phrased it I meant that giving out your full name is not as bad as the others

12. SpicylilPink

IGN:
    SpicylilPink
    Ah. Yes I do disagree with that haha. Cause I know for sure that when I look up my full name on google everything pops up, from social media to photos. Finding people on the internet is so easy now, especially because of social media. And if someone were to look up that full name, what happens when they find an instagram that has photos, and a facebook that has location?

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  13. Devannn_

Devannn_ Beyoncé Moderator

IGN:
    Devannn_
    The internet can be a very risky and dangerous place. This thread can be useful for those who don’t understand.
    sorry! I thought i agreed with it.
    Also forgot to post the top bit.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. archerexpert777

IGN:
    simparch777
    Why do people think the Internet is a dangerous place? It is dangerous if you are doing what you're not supposed to be doing like..umm....watching adult videos, downloading things from the internet without knowing the risk behind it, or just giving out your personal information. If you know what you are doing and have the ability to be smart and educated about it, then the internet isn't bad.

Saying the internet is a bad place is like saying your school playground is a dangerous place. It can be if you do stupid things that put you and others in harm's way, like telling a random person where you live and what is your number. It can also be a great place with lasting memories if you play responsibly. Nothing is dangerous if you know the risks and consequences of it and know how to circumnavigate around that.

Not trying to start arguments here (nor intend to) but I feel like its point is becoming more missed.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. ItsRed

ItsRed Well-Known Member

IGN:
    HeyItsRed
    i suppose that is true but what if you dont have instagram or facebook and all the rest,

I think this is a case by case situation

16. SpicylilPink

IGN:
    SpicylilPink
    Hi again archer. I know you say you aren't trying to start an argument, but the way you keep coming back to this is with a very negative feeling. I cannot stress this enough. I just want people to be safe on the internet. That's all I'm asking and that's all this post was. So after this I will stop replying to your comments, because you are the one who is straying away from the original purpose of this post. I will not let you turn this into a joke, intentionally or not. The internet CAN BE a very dangerous place, if you share you information. And that is the whole point I am making. Thank you for giving your opinion, but I do believe we disagree, so I hope this is the end of our discussion, because neither of us will change the others mind.

17. SpicylilPink

IGN:
    SpicylilPink
    I do believe it is a case to case situation. But it's better to warn everyone than no one at all. :)

18. ItsRed

ItsRed Well-Known Member

IGN:
    HeyItsRed
    Exactly,
    Glad we cleared this up :)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  19. MrGallifrey

MrGallifrey Active Member

IGN:
    MrGallifrey
    Pink I'm extremely happy with this thread and the replies within! :D
    I'm glad you have taken the initiative to make and create a thread that helps, protects and prevents bad things from happening to the community. I agree with all of these, any personal information should not be shared around the internet, as it could lead to dangerous things in unforeseeable circumstances. I've made a somewhat simple information list on what you shouldn't do and why, feel free to continue this thread.

Never share:
    Your IP; For obvious reasons, as it tells where you live, as well as where your connection is from.

Your Phone number; First of all, you're giving whoever sees it, access to personal contact and able to contact you extremely easy and this could be an uncomfortable situation for you as well as anyone involved. Second of all, Phone numbers tell where you live. As simple as I can explain, this is what your phone number looks like. (Country) (State/area) (City) (Unique city number) 1+ 111 111 1111 < Example
    Someone with access to your phone number now can easily google or check where your country, area, and city is. People with advanced tech knowledge may even be able to do more.

Your email; You can easily give this out to the wrong people, and be targeted for random sign ups, contact from stranger and unwanted communication.

Your name;
    Excluding people you trust, Giving your name out is something that should not be done. It allows people to know not you as your internet profile, but as well as who you are in real life. It may be fine to tell close friends your first name, but you should never share your last/full name!

Never share your passwords online!
    Sharing your passwords and accounts online is possibly the easiest way to lose control of a situation. Anyone with this information can use your accounts to post false information, make illegal/unethical decisions (as you) and can even get your accounts removed or lost! NEVER SHARE PASSWORD INFORMATION WITH PEOPLE ONLINE.

I hope you have a better understanding of what you shouldn't share as well as WHY. If you need anymore information on how you can be safer and secure on the internet, Please talk to a staff member, adult, or maybe even watch a video on how to keep away from these dangerous habits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. archerexpert777

IGN:
    simparch777
    Oh, sorry if it is. I just wanted to stretch out one of my point further, no hard feelings :heart: :D

But let's be on our common grounds, no one should give away their personal information as it is endangering themselves as well as others. Plus I believe it is against the law (in some US states) to share personal information

• Like Like x 1