perm ban for racism and homophobia.

Discussion in 'Other/Uncategorized Suggestions Archive' started by Mai, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Mai

Mai serendipity Discord Moderator Premium Premium

hi
    my suggestion is for racism and homophobia to not be a 31 day ban but to be a permanent ban. i dont think someone who is racist or homophobic deserves to be on a literal kids server. advertising results in a permanent ban so why isnt racism and homophobia held to the same level of seriousness. i think racism and homophobia deserve no chances whatsoever. discrimination is a horrible thing.

thank u for reading :))

• Support Support x 7
    • No Support No Support x 4
  2. boba

boba modern manifesto Premium

IGN:
    BobaLatte
    i’m pretty sure advertising is a 31 day ban unless they increased it.

i believe this discussion was held before when both of us were staff and it was definitely increased from the standard 1 hour/staff discretion to 31 days later on.

permanent bans are held for those players who’ve done a lot of bad things. it’s a ban given to those who broke a lot of rules for example someone who’s been constantly trolling no matter the amount of times they’ve been punished and forgiven or if someone doxxed a ton of members.

racism and homophobia of course are not tolerable and those players tend to be trollers. i remember that racism and homophobia had a large increase during the summer and it might still be on however a 31 day ban seems fair in my opinion.

permanent bans are only issued by managers and admins. i don’t think ker or the admins are able to come on every time to ban a racist/homophobe. however staff could compile a list for them and they can always issue the bans however i don’t think perm bans are overall necessary for these people.

i’m going to no support on this!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  3. Krissy

Krissy f̺͆o̺͆r̺͆g̺͆m̺͆i̺͆n̺͆ Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

Support.
    No tolerance for homophobia or racism should be a standard. No excuses. Make it work.

4. Manubidoo

Manubidoo Well-Known Member

IGN:
    1byte
    Wrote a reply mostly supporting, with some hesitance in terms of young children using gay without fully knowing the wrong behind it getting a permanent ban, then I realised it's 2021, and there really is no excuse for ignorance. Support.

5. Frez

Frez Shark Super Moderator Premium

IGN:
    frezology
    This was discussed. Currently it is perm on discord.

It is 31days ingame Currently and I believe that it will stay like that. Mods do not have perms to perm ban and all perm bans now have to be done via higher up staff with lots of evidence as they are not appealable.

Generally speaking, they do not come back after 31days and even they very small minority that do, they either get on quietly or give us evidence to reban.

Don't get me wrong, racism and homophobia are not tolerated at all and there are no excuses. Being bisexual myself I am a strong believer in this. However I do not see the need in making it perm UNLESS they are a repeat offender.

6. Calidre

Calidre Experienced Member

IGN:
    Calidre
    Here's my thoughts.

As someone who plays practically every day I see these kinds of trolls all the time. When it comes to racism and homophobia, from what I've seen 90% of the time it comes from someone who joins the server for 30 minutes, uses some derogatory slurs, then gets banned. Those trolls almost never bother making an appeal because they are just that, trolls. The 31 day ban I believe is long enough for them since they do not even care about the server whatsoever and most of the time will never come back. As Boba said, since perm bans are rarely handed out and are only from the admins or crew, it's a lot more work for an issue I believe can be solved still with a 31 day ban, which can be handed out by any staff, Mod or above.

For those 10% of players who do appeal these kind of situations, I went and read through some of them and most of the time, they are sincere apologies and people who want to be better. Instant perma ban with no allowance for appeal, leaves no room for change or growth when in some appeals I personally read the person banned very much wants to grow and become the better person.

On the other hand, if it were to be changed to a perma ban, personally I believe religious discrimination should fall into that category as well or any type of extreme discrimination not just racism and homophobia.

I won't leave an actual rating since I definitely 100% believe these are punishable, horrible acts of hate, but I dont necessarily believe every single situation warrants a permanent ban. However, if a player displays explicit behaviour when they come back that is exactly the same kind of disgusting hate, then potentially they should be permanently banned. So basically if it happens more than once I would be more ok with a perm ban, but a lot of the time it only needs a single month long ban to solve the issue like I said above when it comes to server trolls

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  7. clxrity

clxrity Experienced Member

IGN:
    clxrity
    Preface: I don't actually know what the current rules/punishment guidelines are for this, so I'll just share my thoughts:

Well, you said my argument for me. They are trolls, and will most of the time never come back... So why not perm ban them for the sake of "we know they're a troll and not a serious player, why do we want them on the server. or better yet, have a chance to come back and act worse than they already did"? I am not saying I agree or disagree just bringing up a point.
    I can understand that a 31 day ban in these instances will most of the time take care of the situation, but I agree with Mai also.
    Whether or not mods have permission to permanently ban in the first place, I think I kind of agree with this idea of perm banning for discrimination. If mods don't have this permission in-game, then super moderators at least should and that is something that should already change as well.

However, I think severity and basing things on the situation matters. Someone who's said something joking and not realizing its offensive, yeah, that's on them, but they should probably at least have a chance to appeal perhaps if they genuinely didn't realize what they are doing wrong.

For trolls, I could agree with either 31 day ban or a perm ban. If they really are just trolling, then they're just saying whatever they're saying for reaction as opposed to directly discriminating and bringing someone(s) specific down. However, if they are just a troll, why not just perm ban them anyway? They can always appeal if they want the chance to actually play on the server legitimately.

bUt finally, someone who's being directly discriminatory towards someone with the intention of bringing them down, making them feel less than who they are, or outright saying unacceptable things should be perm banned no questions asked.

8. Calidre

Calidre Experienced Member

IGN:
    Calidre
    Agreed
    If they are a troll, which is the case most of the time, thats my point. Why waste time doing a perm ban for every single one (it happens often) when a 31 day will suffice? Also perm bans almost always can't be appealed so if they do actually want to appeal it's better to make it a temporary ban not a permanent one. Overall I just believe it should be situation based like every other ban is

9. UrsusMaiorus

UrsusMaiorus Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Ursusmaiorus
    no support

Look its a kids server and kids do dumb things. Often times they parrot these things from their parents. It is rare that people will disagree with their parents till they are older say 21-22 ish alothough the spefic age diesnt matter. You cant blame them for parroting what they hear at home. While yes racism and homophobia are inolerable I dont belive it to be fully their fault.

I have had alot of people be anti semetic towards me and yes its intollerable if reflect on their parents. A 7 day or 31 day ban suffices perm which is unappealble seems far too harsh

10. Marcy

Marcy Apostlé of Falcons Premium

IGN:
    Marcawn
    What Frez said in his post, It's a permanent ban for the discord server whenever if there is discrimination going on done by trolling members, It just seems too extensive for permanent bans to happen often in-game as most of the staff members do NOT have permission of having those types of bans, Any staff members that are the role higher than Super Moderator don't have time to deal with banning discriminations in any skyblock platform.

However It is recommended for the bans Mai is asking for can be more than a month, for example like 90 days in case of mass discrimination towards to any community, Having it permanent would get into problems and appeals in the future, What permanent bans could go to is that any death threats, blackmailing, or any terrorism support in the chat from any platform of Skyblock SHOULD be involved a permanent ban to the offense player. (As Staff Members require a contacting with higher staff who have permanent banning privileges.)

And don't forget that permanent bans are NOT appealable as they are used in serious consequences, There are minors/trolls who don't know what the terms "gay" or "homo" actually is and who knows if they are joking or not in the chat from platforms that are not discord or the forums, As they must research what is behind the words they use in the future.

Don't get Marcawn wrong is that he defends LGBTQ+ communities and allows people to have religious beliefs, This is just a statement. (This is coming from a player who is bisexual and is a trans rights activist.)

11. Krissy

Krissy f̺͆o̺͆r̺͆g̺͆m̺͆i̺͆n̺͆ Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

If you want to see the kind of people who this suggestion is actually for, dm me.
    All I can say is that this suggestion isn’t about people who simply says the n word with no context or calls someone gay.

12. Pancake

Pancake syrup x Moderator Premium

IGN:
    GangstaPancake
    I think that this essentially sums up my opinion on this suggestion. As I stand, I believe that the current 31 day ban is a fair and correct time for the average troll who decides coming on to a child’s game to use derogatory slang once or twice.

However! I perfectly agree with Krissy in that in extreme cases and mass disruption, a permanent ban would be a fair punishment. In saying that, even today, if a player was being racist/homophobic on a mass scale, they’d likely be handed a permanent ban depending on the severity.

Different cases like these can and do have different punishments depending on their severity.

13. Manubidoo

Manubidoo Well-Known Member

IGN:
    1byte
    Discretion is always involved when a punishment is given, staff are not naiive and I think it's pretty fair to say they know what they're doing. This suggestion is asking for the ability to perm ban for homophobia and racism, not to make it so that every instance of the word 'gay' results in a permanent ban. I don't see any reason as to why this shouldn't be granted.

I have read and acknowledged all points above but the majority of them seem to come back the premise of "people do stupid things etc. - they shouldn't lose any chance of returning". Using gay as a tongue in cheek remark to someone or something that annoys you is as a stupid/ignorant thing to do; directing abuse towards someone because of their ethnicity or sexuality is not a stupid thing, it is discrimination, which pretty much wherever you are, is an actual crime: so I think it's more than fair to say should come with an equivalent punishment on the server at the least.

14. Mai

Mai serendipity Discord Moderator Premium Premium

This post pretty much sums up this entire suggestion, thank you.

15. KhalDrogo

KhalDrogo Experienced Member

IGN:
    Drogo
    Some of us are old enough to recall when ‘gay’ just meant happy.
    Wishing you all a gay day.

16. Megan

Megan Experienced Member Premium

IGN:
    Meggann
    For what it’s worth, I’d like to contribute my 2 pence. (Apologies if I repeat anyones points)

As you may/may not know, perm bans are given for extreme cases - don’t get me wrong I agree this is extreme however there are other things that do warrant more than 31 days and each case is evaluated as a team with Kerahna.
    Every situation we face is different everyday, it’s difficult to determine whether we should just “perm” for this or that - there is a lot of thought and consideration that goes into it.

I agree with the suggestion and what Manu said, this isn’t for the one off people who come and and shout a racist or homophobic term. It is for the people who are racist / homophobic consistently.
    It is not welcome on the server as to why we made the decision to ban for 31 days on first offences. If the player was silly enough to come back and repeatedly do this, we would look at the player, the history and decide the best course of action. We offer the chance for remorse - it’s only embarrassing for the player if they choose to ignore it.

As a side note, we don’t often accept perm ban appeals, perming someone for a first offence *which I know isn’t being implied* would not give the player the opportunity to come back - we all change and grow, we’ve all made mistakes and decisions we wish we didn’t when we were younger. I’m not making excuses for the behaviour as I’ve clearly shown I am extremely against it, I just want to highlight all sides on the matter. There are no excuses for this, being a troll or young does not make them invincible to the rules.

Evaluating each case as it comes is the most suitable way to go forward.

To conclude, I believe this is a good idea but I also want to clarify that repeat offences of this kind of behaviour will always be considered for permanent removal from the server - it will never ever be tolerated.

I hope this makes sense:relaxed: