Important New Map Art Rules & Regulations

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Skyblock, Apr 12, 2024.

1. HolyChickenStrip

HolyChickenStrip Member

IGN:
    HolyChickenStrip
    whats wrong with that one? its a stick figure lying down? ill make a ticket i guess but that seems really strict when you take into account that it was made by a discord moderator

2. luka

luka macdondalds Super Moderator Premium

IGN:
    Houzo
    Thank you for creating a ticket. We’ll discuss there.
    Also, it being made by a discord staff member doesn’t amount to anything. I myself had made and commissioned a mapart that no longer aligns with the new rules (and have handed it in). Rules change all the time. I’m sure that discord staff member won’t be doing the same now.

3. Zedrich

Zedrich Active Member

We need more in depth definitions of 'inappropriate' in terms of signage.
    I dont know if it was an exploit or someone deleted four mapart signs on my island with zero mail or notification, as i was possibly offline or afk at the time, but those maparts didn't even have a person on them - they were just signs. Sure, they had a somewhat familiar color scheme, but no one who did not know wouold be able to figure out what it parodied unless they know.

Or are we censoring parodies now as well or something ridiculous?

I don't want to see a future where people make signage for the funny factor only to be told 'no fun or humor allowed' for the vaguest of reasons.

Also, is this to say that making maparts of girls and women are no longer allowed, especially if they have sizable properties? or is it only the skin showing that people are concerned about? I knwo that 'discretion' varies from person to person, but i have a feeling that the few offended apples in the bushel will ruin it for everyone else by simply screeching out loud..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Teeler

Teeler i am kenough

IGN:
    TeelerSwift69
    don't worry, they're just picking and choosing what they're okay with!

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. KhalDrogo

KhalDrogo Experienced Member

IGN:
    Drogo
    There needs to be a more general update to the rules rather than just these pertaining to map arts.
    Staff used to excuse themselves from removing inappropriate builds by saying that players could build what ever they wanted on their own private islands and the staff were powerless to remove them.
    Clearly that is not the case, and I suspect it never really was as I don't recall ever seeing anything in the rules about it.

Last edited: May 4, 2024
  6. Pancake

Pancake syrup x Moderator Premium

IGN:
    GangstaPancake
    There is quite an extensive list of disallowed themes and features regarding art. Whilst I understand it's frustrating, each individual map that raises concern is discussed by the whole staff team to ensure that one person's opinion or shaped beliefs does not determine the outcome of said map. Again, I'm sure this situation may not be the most exhilarating for anybody. We are doing our very best to keep the rules unanimous.

Change is always different for everybody

7. Zedrich

Zedrich Active Member

And where is this 'extensive list'?
    It should be publicly viewable, at least on here, and better yet if it can be seen by players on the servers, and in language that is easy to understand for the younger readers (no legalese or any similar vague wording, phrasing or interpretation)

8. Pancake

Pancake syrup x Moderator Premium

IGN:
    GangstaPancake
    This thread has 12 points with each describing disallowed themes within maparts. I don’t think it’s completely unclear. Whilst I understand with everybody interprets things differently, a base understanding of y permitted maps is definitely public.

I’m not saying it’s detailed to perfection, but that would be near impossible due to a wide variance in art.

9. HolyChickenStrip

HolyChickenStrip Member

IGN:
    HolyChickenStrip
    les just ban maparts all together :partyface:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. ace_

ace_ Active Member

IGN:
    AaceOofSpadess
    i believe this is a great idea! sb players need to find something better to do with their life!

just adding that this is sarcasm

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: May 11, 2024
  11. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    I suggest, this be changed to "No re-selling OR copying....."

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  12. emil733

emil733 Member

IGN:
    emil733
    Why? Most creators allow their customers to copy the maparts for themself.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    And they still can as the rule states they can with the creator/owners permission, but without this suggested addition, someone could buy map arts, make many copies and give them away.

And of course, some sellers might not allow copies to be made. This way, all options are possible. But as it is, sellers can't stop copies being made.

As it is, an individual could destroy a map art creator without breaking any rules.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: May 12, 2024
  14. Kittykat713

Kittykat713 Member

IGN:
    Kittykat713
    I agree "no copying without creator permission" should be added. There's no good reason not to, and gives a bit more security to art creators.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. emil733

emil733 Member

IGN:
    emil733
    I disagree. In my opinion you should be able to copy maparts you paid for, unless the artist does not want it because it's supposed to be a limited edition etc. Not the other way around. There should just be another rule in the mapart guidelines, to clarify that your'e not allowed to give away maparts you bought without permission.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Ignoring the fact that most map art makers infringe on copyright in the first place, I’ll point out that the act that is deemed illegal in the real world is right there in the name. COPYright.

As the code of conduct states we must follow “courtesies and regulations set out in your real world lives”, then we mustn’t be copying map arts without approval.

If you buy map art from a chest shop, it says on that shop, that you’re buying 1 copy.

17. emil733

emil733 Member

IGN:
    emil733
    If we follow your logic, we wouldn't be allowed to use images just as album covers etc to create mapart in the first place. This is a video game dude.

• Rude Rude x 1
  18. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    That’s correct. That’s the law.
    And the excuse that “This is a video game” doesn’t make it less so …… dude.

And that’s not my logic. That’s just several facts and a quote the servers code of conduct.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 13, 2024
  19. emil733

emil733 Member

IGN:
    emil733
    It does make it less though. That‘s literally why nobody cares about breaking copyright laws on Skyblock lmao

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    You’re confused. I’m talking about the law. It’s either illegal or it’s not. It makes no sense to say something is a little bit illegal. The fact that people don’t care, or enforce it makes no difference to the law.

Think of it like your profile picture which breaks the servers rules as it depicts Marijuana. The fact that staff haven’t acted on that, doesn’t lessen the fact that it’s breaking those rules.

Last edited: May 12, 2024