Mob Grinders

Discussion in 'Player Guides' started by RedstoneTrails, Apr 6, 2019.

1. RedstoneTrails

RedstoneTrails Moderator Moderator

IGN:
    RedstoneTrails
    Note: For natural mob grinders to work, you most go into /settings and enable mob spawning. Please light up your island so mobs don't spawn where you don't want them to spawn.

Natural Mob Grinder

Here's a tutorial on a basic natural mob grinder:

If you want the mobs to automatically die so you can just collect loot, you just need to make the fall distance higher, or suspend lava somewhere in the tube that they're falling through. You can create this design without all of the redstone. The redstone in this design is just there for your convenience, but is not needed. Just the stone structure with water will work fine.

Advanced Natural Mob Grinder
    I haven't seen too many people with this build on Skyblock, but it's still a stupidly effective build that I would suggest considering, given that you can afford it. Here's the tutorial:
    This build is rather tall if you make it exactly as shown in the video, so it is generally recommended for players with the ability to fly.

Mob Grinder With Spawner

You can ignore most of the later part of the build. The key section is funneling mobs to the 1x1 drop. From there, you can put lava in the drop tunnel to weaken them, and then let them either fall a short to long distance, depending on whether you want to kill them yourself, or let them be killed by fall damage. If you want this build to work with spiders, just make the tunnel they fall into a 2x2 instead of 1x1. If you want this build to work with endermen for automatic killing, you will need to make them fall over 40 blocks (I would not recommend automatic endermen farming, as you really don't need that many ender pearls).

You can extend this design to to include a whole bunch of spawners, just make sure that your borders are 4 blocks away from the nearest spawner so that mobs don't spawn outside of your grinder.

Cow/Mooshroom/Sheep Grinder
    2019-04-06_17.55.07.png

This design can be modified in many different ways. You can reduce the width of the fall chamber if you only want to use only one lava block (shown in picture). This design can be layered as many times as you want. I'd also suggest doing a higher fall distance after the lava so that the animals die on impact (shown in picture), instead of sitting around burning, where they can begin stacking together. The collection system can be setup in many different ways depending on your specific needs, so play around with a design that works best with your setup and goals. Note: if you want to use this design with mooshrooms, just replace the grass blocks with mycelium. Mycelium does spread to dirt, so you only need one mycelium block to get it going.

Pig Grinder

This has no purpose in /skyblock and is mostly here for /economy people. You only get cooked meat out of this, which you can get plenty of from using the cow or sheep spawner above, while also getting additional drops. I'm not a fan of the activation system this tutorial uses. He uses a somewhat overly complex system just to give you the option of having an on/off switch. This same build can be made using redstone that leads form the tripwire hook into the repeater (shown below). You can change fall height if you want the pigs to die immediately. Change the hopper collection system to fit your specific needs.
    2019-04-06_17.48.08.png

Chicken Grinder
    I have not yet found a really good way to automate chicken farming. You can use a modified version of the above pig grinder to trap and kill chickens/collect eggs. Make sure to remove the lava, as chickens die immediately upon touching the lava, and will burn their dropped loot in it. One design I have used included funneling the chickens into a 1x1 tube using the pig grinder and water. They'd land on a half slab with a hopper beneath it. A piston would be a redstone clock, which would occasionally trigger and kill the chickens with suffocation damage. Please let me know if you have any better systems so I can attach screenshots/YouTube tutorials.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. mijiperki

mijiperki Well-Known Member

A tip to to add about natural mob spawners is to build them as low as possible as this maximises spawning speeds due to the way the spawning algorithm works

• Like Like x 1
  3. Marcy

Marcy Apostlé of Falcons Premium

IGN:
    Marcawn
    Is there a good way to improve your guardian grinder aswell?

4. RedstoneTrails

RedstoneTrails Moderator Moderator

IGN:
    RedstoneTrails
    Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that and update the post!

As a man without a guardian spawner, I haven't been able to play with this much. I'll look into it and see if I can find something. Think I know a few people with decent grinders I could ask.