January's Island Competition [Skyblock]

Discussion in 'Events & Competitions' started by 52Phenomenon, Jan 1, 2023.

1. luka

luka macdondalds Moderator Premium

IGN:
    Houzo
    That comes under a very grey line.

There are 2 builds submitted this month that use more than one 200x200 area.

I'm sure we can respect these amazing builds and the staff team can judge them as one build over multiple islands (since they are all connected) without any issues.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
  2. lilCupcakeFreak

lilCupcakeFreak Well-Known Member Discord Moderator

IGN:
    lilcupcakefreak
    It is one island and fits the criteria ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. OnlineDuty

OnlineDuty Active Member

Not sure, but it's your guys word against 52phenomenons right now, unless they decide to change their stance on this.

upload_2023-1-31_19-9-41.png

• Like Like x 1
  4. luka

luka macdondalds Moderator Premium

IGN:
    Houzo
    I stand to be corrected!

However, this was over a year and a half ago.
    Ultimately, the decision is 52's since she is the Event Manager. Personally, I have no problem with it. : )

5. Megan

Megan Experienced Member Premium

IGN:
    Meggann
  6. lilCupcakeFreak

IGN:
    lilcupcakefreak
    We will see, it doesn't state it in the rules at this thread so if it's only 1 island (no chains allowed) I suggest adding it to the rules :)
    And then I guess I will have to re-submit the next island comp with only my 1 island if its not possible for just my main island to be judged this competition.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  7. Grepatue

Grepatue Active Member

IGN:
    Grepatue
    Wow guys honestly I just want to remove my island and encourage others at this point just to let cupcake take the W…cuz like who cares it’s a singular project build and I feel that constitutes one entry.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Im_JustMe

Im_JustMe Helper Helper

IGN:
    Im_JustMe
    Who goes back to a post in 2020, to see if there are any additional rules somewhere in the thread, that are not stated in the monthly post?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. 52Phenomenon

52Phenomenon Super Moderator Super Moderator Events Manager

IGN:
    52Phenomenon
    Apologies that that has been unfolding and I didn't respond quicker! I didn't receive some of the alerts / tags properly in my inbox.

As has been shown I have stated in the past (both publicly and privately when asked in DMs etc.) that only one island can be submitted for the contest, therefore ruling out island chains or multiple islands connected together. I was unaware that I had only made this clear in less obvious places, such as replies to threads and in DMs when asked, so I apologise for my lack of clarity on this and I will be adding it to the requirements section of next month's thread. I take responsibility for this lack of information.

Because my information was not as clear as I would have liked, and therefore not as fair to entrants, I would like to request lilCupcakeFreak that you submit your island, as a fresh entry, for the next competition on Skyblock (which will begin March) but please specify just one island section that you'd like to enter. If my memory serves me correctly, this is how those with island chains may have entered fairly in the past.

If in the future I have failed to fully clarify any aspect of the contest please do reply to a thread, tag me in one, DM me on discord or in game. I am happy to help, and would like to apologise again for the lack of information provided on this issue.

Good luck entrees of this month and all future contests - the results may just be a day or two late due to the delay from this :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. OnlineDuty

OnlineDuty Active Member

I knew about the rule already because I had read that thread (and the reply in question) back in 2020.

I had to refer back to that thread as I was not aware of any other circumstance where this rule was mentioned.

I would appreciate it if you didn't disagree or dislike pointing out rules stated by the owner of the competition to keep it fair, but I don't really care enough.

Thanks for your concern.

11. Grepatue

Grepatue Active Member

IGN:
    Grepatue
    Lol longer cuz cupcake shoulda had that W

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Grepatue

Grepatue Active Member

IGN:
    Grepatue
    You who doesn’t even have an entry and from I’ve noticed hasn’t had one anytime recently maybe he’s upset because he ain’t wrong…who nitpicks that hard and finds the one small mention of an archaic rule that hasn’t really been a solid rule?
    “I would appreciate it if you didn't disagree or dislike pointing out rules stated by the owner of the competition to keep it fair, but I don't really care enough.”
    Like it’s cool you wanna stick your nose in a t but it’s not your job?

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. lilCupcakeFreak

IGN:
    lilcupcakefreak
    This is madness.
    I encourage staff to make this odd rule clear in the thread that gets posted every single month.

Thankfully I never build my island with the intention of entering it into the build comp, but a huge shout-out to everyone supporting me, that means a lot ❤️

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. 52Phenomenon

IGN:
    52Phenomenon
    And I encourage you to read my reply above. I have stated my apologies for lack of clarity multiple times and stated, clearly now, that from next month this rule will become clear in the threads posted.

Good luck when you next enter.

15. lilCupcakeFreak

IGN:
    lilcupcakefreak
    I did not see the part where you said that when I initially read it, butIi do now, sorry!

I don't think I will enter next time, since it will severely take away most of the impressive parts of my island.

I just don't understand why chains are not allowed, having a bigger island doesn't mean its instantly better than a smaller one, so why are they excluded?

16. KingJonSnow

KingJonSnow Moderator Moderator

IGN:
    KingJonSnow
    I just think if it wasn’t stated clearly in the rules and was only sent through messages or thread responses, her island should be allowed until next month when it will be added to the rules of the competition. To spend that much time on an island with hopes of entering it, having the courage to enter, and then feeling the need to never enter it again because of an unwritten rule and the fact that the island won’t be shown the way it should just seems tough to me. That’s just my thoughts and I understand they could be out of line and unwarranted, bust just wanted to share.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. 52Phenomenon

IGN:
    52Phenomenon
    Congrats to Grepatue on winning January's island competition with their island /visit Grepatue!

Read all the details and enter for next month, on Economy, here.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Amazing Amazing x 1
  18. Nomrial

Nomrial Active Member

IGN:
    Nomrial
    Congrats Grepatue !!!!

19. 52Phenomenon

IGN:
    52Phenomenon
    Ultimately it comes down to the fact that it isn't fair to be gaining such a big advantage on everyone else. While an expansion from 99x99 to 199x199, for example, provides more space it will not alter the perception of an island to a drastic degree. However, allowing island chains, which could be 4+ islands, will hugely add to the impact of an island and undoubtedly allow for more prominent, impressive builds, providing quite the unfair advantage.

I do still hope you'll consider entering next time. In my opinion, from your screenshots provided, your island is still full of fantastic building, even if you can only submit one island's worth.

I have stated, and openly willed, that Cupcake enter her island in the next competition, but in a way that is more fair for everyone who will be entering. I tried to articulate above my reasons for islands chains providing an unfair advantage, but do let me know if you have anything else to ask/clarify :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Kuriboh_kun

Kuriboh_kun Active Member

IGN:
    Kuriboh_kun
    GG Grep!