Implemented Island level algorithm

Discussion in 'Server Gameplay Suggestions Archive' started by KhalDrogo, Oct 23, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KhalDrogo

KhalDrogo Experienced Member

IGN:
    Drogo
    If very few people did it, then their island level goes, up. then people go to see which block has been added in mass to achieve it, then everyone knows.
    You can bet slime started with just a few people as well.
    Drogo had someone scouting his island today, glitching through the roof, to see what was boosting Drogo's island level.

2. RedstoneTrails

RedstoneTrails Moderator Moderator

IGN:
    RedstoneTrails
    Block values are never truly "fixed". Most blocks now should remain around what they are set to, though. Blocks like gold, iron, lapis, redstone, diamond, and emerald are already decently balanced, with obtaining each of them being limited/slightly difficult and costly, so you can expect them to stay pretty constant in value.

The initial issue with gold blocks, and later slime blocks, was that they were easily farmable, and players could pump out tons of those blocks very quickly. Gold was limited through pigman spawner limits, as well as the value of gold blocks being greatly reduced. Limiting slime spawners didn't feel needed, so only the value of the slime blocks themselves was greatly reduced.

If something game up, like cobwebs giving tons of levels, that could potentially lead to its value being nerfed. Cobwebs, just like gold and slime blocks, can be easily farmed through spawners, so it's a common target for players looking for an easy level method that can be farmed.

In short, block values will not be reduced based around how many of them are being placed by players, but instead by the relative fairness of a block value. Slime blocks were worth way too much island level given how easy they were to obtain, thus the value was reduced. If other blocks are found to have values that seem disproportionately high relative to their ease of obtaining, those will also be reduced.

3. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Drogo is happy to accept this so long as the goal posts don’t move. I.e. If this is the final call on how island level is to be determined then please don’t adopt Drogo’s suggestion.
    Drogo has taken the fact that the suggestion wasn’t adopted to mean that the goal posts are set and is playing by the currently defined algorithm by investing in many of the blocks that you mention as having justifiable high values.

4. Ca1

Ca1 Senior Member

Cobweb spawners?

5. Pillow

Pillow blanky Premium

IGN:
    Pilberry
    String and slime. So slime+spider spawners.

6. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Well, they new Slime is out and it is (as mentioned previously)......... Noteblocks!!
    Monster_Sparklez has raced to the middle of the leaderboards after placing about 1 and a half layers of them.
    Wonder if he'll make it to the top before they get nerfed. LOL.

7. Monster_Sparklez

Monster_Sparklez Yee yee Bubba Premium Premium

IGN:
    Monster_Sparkles
    Nah it will take even longer for them to be nerfed and when they do they will still have a decent value, they require redstone to unlike other blocks can’t be farmed easily it is a natural resource only obtainable by kits voting and mining, and you bet I’ll make it to the top I’ll see ya in 1500 more levels ;)

8. PCcoolguy100

PCcoolguy100 Senior Member

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100
    Sooo.... how did this get out. Little secret is no longer a little secret. I understand it was going to get out eventually but yeesh

9. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Drogo's in it for the long haul, slow and steady using rare blocks. Drogo won't resort to piling up layers of easily obtainable items knowing they will be nerfed.

10. RedstoneTrails

RedstoneTrails Moderator Moderator

IGN:
    RedstoneTrails
    Noteblocks are tile entities, meaning they take up more server resources and can take quite the toll of TPS. All tile entities were meant to have no island value to discourage players from placing mass amounts of blocks that would hurt server performance.

I would not spend time placing any noteblocks, as them having value at all was just an accident. I'd imagine their value will be nerfed soon.
    We're hopefully close to a final goal post. There will be outliers slipping through like noteblocks, but I feel most block values have been adjusted at this point.
    This is still the best procedure. Rare blocks don't hurt server performance, aren't easily farmed, and have already had their values shifted around a bit in the couple of years the server has been up. I can't foresee these blocks getting any changes.

11. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Great news red. Cheers mate.

12. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Drogo did tell you not to waste your time placing theses.

13. Monster_Sparklez

IGN:
    Monster_Sparkles
    Still not gonna be nerfed lol

14. Ca1

Ca1 Senior Member

15. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Clearly they are but Drogo guesses it doesn't matter as your noteblocks are all gone now and you're no longer onteh leaderboards at all.

16. Monster_Sparklez

IGN:
    Monster_Sparkles
    I’ll bet ya 3k grass I’ll still be on there after it gets “nerfed”

17. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Drogo will take your 3K of grass as your not on there now.
    Drogo already mentioned, all your noteblocks have been removed.

18. Monster_Sparklez

IGN:
    Monster_Sparkles
    Leme activate plan b then I’ll lyk

19. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Before you activate plan B you might want to ensure it isn’t against server rules as technically, placing all those note blocks was.

20. PCcoolguy100

PCcoolguy100 Senior Member

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100
    Nothing states that placing a bunch of a single block on your island to get levels is illegal; if so Haberson and just about every other person that used to be on leaderboards would be in trouble right now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.