Implemented Island level algorithm

Discussion in 'Server Gameplay Suggestions Archive' started by KhalDrogo, Oct 23, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lz

Lz Well-Known Member

BlockXValue = (1 - #BlockX/#AllBlocks) * BlockXBaseValue

looks nicer

2. PCcoolguy100

PCcoolguy100 Senior Member

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100
    I was starting but sorta lost interest with something I started, and that was to fill an entire 99x99 island with slime blocks (boosting my level into, potentially, the 100K+ mark). I started it but never finished it just because of how large scale it was (2.6 million slime blocks, 726 dcs). I was going to use the dupe I got banned for about 3 weeks ago to dupe slime to help the project, but ofc there was more desirable items, like duping rares (which I did so very blatantly :I ).

It was an experiment to see how much I could break the leveling system, but I never got around to it.

This suggestion will probably help heaps balancing the server economy and what the leveling system will be about.

3. NorthYYY

NorthYYY Active Member

how long ago was this?

4. KhalDrogo

KhalDrogo Experienced Member

IGN:
    Drogo
    Mathematics should be beautiful. Formula added to initial post.

5. PCcoolguy100

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100

6. Metal

Metal Active Member

IGN:
    Metal_marmott
    I really like this suggestion and I'd fully support it. I remember the extent some players went to get as much gold as they could when gold was still a high value block, and it really got a bit tedious when the highest ranked island was a small player base with a giant golden block under it.

Unfortunately this algorithm is kinda bad for people with large, limited block-type builds, but I imagine people with these types of builds are people who are more interested in building than a numbered rank.

7. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Not just gold, same thing happened with cobble, ice and now it’s slimeblocks. Rather than be reactive and continually lowering block values this algorithm is proactive.
    Drogo accepts that large builds with limited block types might take a hit but that makes sense as limiting your self in blocks types won’t lead to the best looking builds. If you have one of these builds say with a lot of stone. Start adding some more wood cladding to buildings and decorate the floors with other blocks.

8. Metal

Metal Active Member

IGN:
    Metal_marmott
    This is very true, but I know a lot of good builds that would suffer from this and wouldn't necessarily want to change up blocks.

I feel if a condition was added to the algorithm where it starts to take effect after a certain number of blocks have been placed, that would keep some of the nice builds on the server at an okay island level.

9. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Drogo doesn’t think that wouldn’t work. They would get to that number, place one more block and their level would plummet.

10. Metal

Metal Active Member

IGN:
    Metal_marmott
    I mean, like, up to a certain amount of blocks wouldn't be affected by this algorithm, and then any placed after the limit will start to lower value

For example, you can place 1000 blocks without the algorithm, but after 1000 the block value starts to progressively drop, slowly and not rapidly, so the blocks still have value but more and more blocks means less value over this threshold.

11. NorthYYY

NorthYYY Active Member

can someone explain what the algorithm like is so like 1- blocks on X axis? / every block *blocks on x axis?

12. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Currently only two parameters govern island level. These are block number and block type. This simple algorithm adds another parameter being block variety.
    Adding the functionality that you have suggested would not reward block variety so much and possibly only make a difference to smaller islands which will most likely not feature on the leaderboards anyway.

13. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    See this to get an idea of how it functions.
    Island level/block value - Google Sheets

14. PCcoolguy100

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100
    I want to add something to this:

As doing this in live time (say every minute or 30 seconds so that the value will never be wrong) will absolutely destroy the stability of the server to the equivalent of what we had to deal with from 2013-2016 (where every few minutes there'd be a huge lag spike), update it daily or weekly (I suggest checking it through the restart, and of course this'll take a little longer but that doesn't harm anybody).

It also prevents botting (*cough cough* arma *cough cough*) a few islands with a lot of said block and completely destroying the value of it.

15. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Drogo thinks they have already reduced the frequency the calculation is done as he was trying to find block values by placing blocks down but island level wasn’t changing even after 10 minutes.

16. PCcoolguy100

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100
    because you need to prompt it to by typing /level. But ofc, bots can just spam that and lag the server the f*** out

17. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Are you sure? Drogo prompted using /level and sometimes it would say ‘calculating level.....’ and then return the value, but subsequent commands would just return the same level seemingly without recalculating, even after placing lots of blocks.
    Drogo is not at the PC so can’t check.

18. Adriansop

Adriansop Moderator Moderator

IGN:
    Adriansop
    This is true

19. PCcoolguy100

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100
    Not the same from my experience, so I can't say anything. After placing a few stacks of slime on my island and doing level, my level went up, removed it and it went down.

20. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Drogo is bumping this as leaderboards means very little while people are exploiting the flaw that this suggestion should fix.
    Developers went to the effort to add this feature and Drogo hopes that it will one day function as intended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.