Invisible name rule

Discussion in 'Other/Uncategorized Suggestions Archive' started by Armaganndon, Dec 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armaganndon

Armaganndon Well-Known Member

IGN:
    armaganndon
    Sort of like what archer said, this is a rule that affects about 4 people and is treated more severely than any other rule. Most rules on the discord are verbal warn -> kick -> ban (key word most). Anyways the fact that something this minor was added out of nowhere and enforced so severely doesn't make sense. Invisible names aren't much of an issue since there are only about 2-3 (or was since Sean got banned) invisible. Considering that everyone has a unique # (unless they have nitro) and adding notes for users is a thing, I don't see why this is an issue that needs to be addressed as it currently. I could see if the server have multiple people that were invisible but there are very few of us. Not to mention that out of the 3 invisible people, none of us cause trouble that would incline people to enforce an anti-invis name rule. I think this rule is complete bs and is targeted to me & Sean.

As someone who is open for debate, comment down below. If you're going to disagree, explain why down below just to see what people who are opposed to this see.

• No Support No Support x 7
    • Support Support x 1
    • Neutral Neutral x 1
  2. Oakk

Oakk Experienced Member

IGN:
    OakiiDoakie
    I don’t understand what you say so please explain for me:hah:

3. Armaganndon

Armaganndon Well-Known Member

IGN:
    armaganndon
    You can make your discord name invisible to others by using various Unicode characters, and for the longest time there was no real issue. And what I mean by that is the idea of having an invisible name before wasn't a big deal, not many people had invisible names and it wasn't that big of an issue. However recently they have added a new rule [Which surprisingly only affects me and Sean, who is another user with an invisible discord name] and to make this even worse this is only a few days after an argument me & Sean had with a manager over who determines what is racist or not, regardless the original incident is over with and done for. Also that this rule is being enforced to strongly to where its an instant ban, whereas most other rules are a verbal warning for the first offence, then a kick, then a ban. It would make sense for a rule this minor and inconvenient to at least give the 2 people affected some time, but that's not the case. And after a brief reading of the discord TOS is I wasn't able to find where and if it says invisible names are against the rules. Now it might be and it might be somewhere in the TOS but I was unable to find it anywhere really. Mostly just big servers saying it doesn't help having hundreds of invisible people. But in our case the skyblock discord has 3000+ people and only about 50-100 active members, and out of those members only approximately 3-4ish are invisible. Those of us who are invisible are also known by most of the members & staff. So it's rather easy to tell which one is which. Not only that. but we all have different numbers in our discord tags. and people can add notes on user profiles to figure out who is who. This rule is ridiculous and is obviously targeting about 2 people.

4. Krissy

Krissy f̺͆o̺͆r̺͆g̺͆m̺͆i̺͆n̺͆ Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

This discord is no longer allowing blank names and it will continue to operate as such now into the future.
    Mineverse discord has had this rule since it broke off from skyblock with no issue. It is a small request that people on our discord either choose a nickname or have a name that is properly identifiable. Bigger discords such as hypesquad disallow blank names, and discord continues to patch these blank names because they do not want them. It isn't against discords ToS but that is a different issue.

The rule is not an instant ban. You get warned to change your name or accept a nickname. If you do not then you are kicked and then banned if you refuse to comply. In Sean's case, he kept leaving and joining to remove his nickname set by staff and refused to change it after several warnings.
    It is not difficult to follow this rule and as you said, only three people have a blank name. Therefore everyone else is compliant with the rule. So there is no need to worry unless you are in breech of it.

If a rule is made it is for good reason. People can either break it and get punished, or follow it and move on.
    Regardless how silly it sounds, its now a rule that literally everyone else is following fine.

5. bERYbERRY

bERYbERRY c000000000000000kies Builder Premium

IGN:
    BertBerry
    No support, this rule was put for a reason and I don't agree that it should be removed.

These invisible nicknames are really confusing to some people, even with the # tag, some of them might get confused of who is who and as Krissy said, it isn't difficult to follow such simple rule.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  6. lowfps10

lowfps10 Active Member

IGN:
    lowfps10
    ^
    |
    |
    No support

7. Michael

Michael Active Member

IGN:
    michael1234
    I believe that you may have misunderstood the reason for implementing this new rule. This was not intended to target any specific people, despite how it may seem, rather it was added to avoid confusion on the Discord server. As Krissy has already stated, there are many other Discord servers that do not allow blank names, for the same reason; this is not a "new" concept. It is not a difficult rule to follow, and as stated before, there are only a few people on the server that even use them. I understand that each user has a unique discriminator at the end of their name; however, players should not have to click on every single message in order to find out who wrote it, as it is not shown unless they click on the profile circle, which also happens to be the same color as the Discord background, making it even more difficult.

I also do understand that people can add personal notes to users; however, this should not be something that players should have to do just to be able to tell the difference between a few people. Not only does this confuse people that have been a part of the community for quite some time, but I imagine that new players find it even more confusing when multiple people have blank names and profiles, essentially creating "invisible" users. There are plenty of people that join the server, without really knowing how Discord works. Quite frankly, this is not something that anyone should have to put up with, especially when considering that this is not a difficult rule to follow. We are not asking that you remove the invisible name from all servers that you are a part of; we could care less what you do on personal Discord servers, in which no one cares about invisible names. It is just our attempt at politely requesting that while on our Discord server, users give themselves a visible nickname in order to avoid confusion. If a player does not yet have the permissions to change their nickname, Discord staff are able to change it for them. As stated before, this is not a difficult rule to follow, and should not be this large of an issue.

I would also like to add that this rule was not added out of nowhere. I was not at all surprised when this rule was added, as invisible names have been an issue for quite some time. We just finally decided to add it as an official rule, to avoid arguments. Don't give yourself an invisible nickname: it's that simple.

I mean this in the most respectful way possible, but I do not think that you have been paying attention to the situation. This rule was not being enforced nearly as strongly as this passage makes it seem. Everyone that has been banned for an invisible name has been given multiple chances, their nicknames have been manually changed by the staff a number of times, and they have been told about this rule long before the ban.

If we are to use the first player that was punished for this as an example, I know that I personally changed his name at least three times, and I believe that other staff members did so also. He had been warned multiple times, and very deliberately kept leaving the server in order to join back without a nickname. I do not remember exactly how many times this happened, but it must have been at least three or four, which I believe is more than enough of a warning. It was very obvious that blank nicknames were no longer allowed, yet he chose to continue.

I am not as familiar with your case; however, I believe that you had been directly warned by at least two staff members first. I know for a fact that I also had to change your name at least a few times, in addition to other staff who needed to keep setting it to something that could be easily read by other players. I fail to see how this is not giving the "people affected some time" or how this rule has been resulting in an "instant ban".

This is not a difficult rule to follow. We are not trying to dictate what you can and cannot do with your Discord account. We are simply trying to avoid confusion within the community and ensure that everyone follows the rules. This is a very simple rule to follow, especially for players that have permissions to change their own nickname. It should be expected that failure to abide by the rules, especially after being repeatedly warned, will result in removal from the community until the player has agreed to follow them upon re-entering the server.

TL;DR
    It's not a hard to follow. I believe that this discussion is a result of an honest misunderstanding of the situations leading up to the "harsh" enforcement of this rule.

8. FatalDisaster

FatalDisaster Hollywood's Bleeding

IGN:
    FatalDisaster
    it's just a rule is it really that hard to not make your name invisible

9. Xethorias

Xethorias Senior Member

IGN:
    Xethorias
    I just think it's has dumb as inviting someone to a server in direct messages (not in the discord server of skyblock) and them still getting banned.

10. archerexpert777

archerexpert777 Senior Member

IGN:
    simparch777
    Neutral, initially it seemed very silly and dumb, but then again that's how discord works so I can't really say much. Both sides of the argument are even at this point tbh

11. Agent

Agent not really an agent Premium

IGN:
    Agentyy
    Thank you so much for taking the time to make a suggestion!

Unfortunately, your suggestion has been denied. We are constantly searching for ways to enhance our server and forums. To make sure we do so, we will be locking and archiving suggestions that are inactive.

This thread has been moved to the Suggestions Archive. If you are dissatisfied with this action, please report this post, and a moderator or administrator will reconsider it. You may also feel free to submit another suggestion in the future.

Kind regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.