Closed Illegal to trade items

Discussion in 'Discussions Archive' started by KhalDrogo, Sep 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KhalDrogo

KhalDrogo Experienced Member

IGN:
    Drogo
    That makes no sense.

No, you are not correct. The very first line in the initial post is the topic and that is.

If it is illegal to trade in game items for gift cards, why are players allowed to trade in game items for gift cards?

Drogo is quite clear on the rule in questions here, the server rules spelt it out very well.
    Drogo's question isn't about the rule, the question is, why does the server allow players to violate this rule.

2. LeoSteel

LeoSteel Active Member

What we are trying to say Drogo, even though you don't believe us, is that we believe a Skyblock giftcard, which only purpose is to be redeemed on the skyblock store for items in a minecraft game. Is just the same and counts as a Minecraft Item. That is our opinion on this topic, you are welcome to disagree, tell us we are wrong, whatever. But that's what you are failing to see from us. Noobcrew Kerahna @AnyStaff... Please put this topic to bed by explaining it is either covered by the rules, or that you will add it for Drogo's peace of mind. Thank you.

3. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    The contradiction couldn’t be more clear. The rules clearly state server items like grass can’t be traded for gift cards cards. You can call Skyblock gift cards what ever you like but you can’t say their not gift cards and so the rule applies here.
    Noobcrew , ..... Kerahna, no need for clarification on the rule, it's abundantly clear. The question, as it has always been, is why are players allowed to violate this rule.

LeoSteel, if any change is made to the rules, understand it won’t be done for Drogo’s piece of mind, it will be because the rule is wrong or the act of trading in game items for gift cards is potentially against the EULA.
    Drogo has raised what is potentially a real issue and your attempt to play it down is not constructive at all.
    Drogo will note this wouldn’t be the first time the rules have changed upon Drogo’s noticing discrepancies.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
  4. Megan

Megan Experienced Member Premium

IGN:
    Meggann
    I will be honest, I have not been following this thread, and this is just my two pence for what it’s worth.
    It is not illegal to trade in game items for Skyblock server giftcards. It becomes illegal when they are external to Skyblock or another Noobcrew server.
    I go back to this thread a lot, Skyblock Official Site | Skyblock, it mentions in here other giftcards are illegal to be traded that you can add balance too.

Perhaps there could be extra clarification around that section of gift cards, that mentions ‘Noobcrew server’ related cards are okay to be traded for in game items as well, however, for some it may be obvious.

Now, please shoot me down if I have missed the point of this thread, this is how I read the rules and how I/we go about moderating this kind of trade.
    Grass is an ingame item, the same as a Skyblock giftcard is an ingame item. The giftcard can only be used for ingame things, as an example: Spotify has no connection to your Skyblock progress.

5. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Your reference to "other gift cards" comes from the following line that lists some of the items that may not be traded.
    • Itunes, Spotify, Xbox, Netflix or any other gift card you can add payments to
    If trading grass for Skyblock gift cards is legal, then this rule definitely does need to be reworded because as it stands, it is illegal to trade grass for Skyblock gift cards. For most, this is obvious.

The reason Drogo asks, is not to be pedantic but to be sure there is no violation of Minecraft EULA as it isn't clear that this rule wasn't written with the EULA in mind.

Skyblock gift cards are not in game items. In game, one can see grass blocks, rares, ranks, etc. Drogo has never seen a gift card in game.

6. Megan

IGN:
    Meggann
    Understandable, I see your concern. Too clarify here, for everyone, players are legally permitted to trade 'Noobcrew server' giftcards for Grass on Skyblock as well as $ balance on Economy.

7. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    According to the Minecraft Terms and conditions, a server may:
    upload_2022-9-19_20-34-7.png
    Drogo believes that Skyblock and Economy are considered as one server given they have the same IP, but Mineverse does not.

Drogo is also not convinced that gift cards, wouldn't be considered as "currency with real world value". A number of sources on the internet state that gift cards are essentially debit cards.

Attached Files:

8. Grepatue

Grepatue Active Member

IGN:
    Grepatue
    This hands down is probably the dumbest most pointless thread I’ve ever seen. Like period, over all the internet. I read a thread about the lacing of clouds for rain and that was more interesting; and I fell asleep two pages in. The amount of total idiocy displayed in this thread is honestly mind boggling. Anyhow. Thank you for creating a thread where you created/highlighted a problem that doesn’t exist and then proceeded to white knight a solution to save the server from this huge menace. I can’t thank you enough really, this brought me a lot of joy, just for none of the reasons you’d hoped.

9. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    If you can’t see that allowing the trade of grass for gift cards contradicts the following rule then it’s not surprising that your mind is boggled as you say.
    upload_2022-9-20_13-13-25.png

10. Grepatue

Grepatue Active Member

IGN:
    Grepatue
    They are talking about loadable visas and other loadable gift cards ie target Walmart etc. Not SKYBLOCK giftcards which are specifically not reloadable and are only able to be used for in game attributes/items.

If you honestly have nothing better to do than create nonexistent issues that totally need fixing than I feel really bad for you. I honestly do and I hope you get out more.

11. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    English not your first language?
    You take a phrase that is incredibly vague and and just claim it to be what ever best suits your argument and are able to fool yourself into thinking your statement is valid.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
  12. Megan

IGN:
    Meggann
    If you wish to share your thoughts on this thread, please ensure that it is done respectfully :)
    Thanks!

13. Grepatue

Grepatue Active Member

IGN:
    Grepatue
    Im super glad you did my work for me.

“You take a phrase that is incredibly vague and and just claim it to be what ever best suits your argument and are able to foolyourself into thinking your statement is valid.”

This is exactly what you did when you created this thread.

*drops microphone while walking away*

14. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    There is no bigger fool than one who can fool himself.

15. athena_x

athena_x Well-Known Member

IGN:
    creationism
    I would agree that gift cards which can be reloaded may be considered as such, but a Skyblock gift card does not directly fall into that category (as money cannot be added to it once it has been redeemed). As such, it may be an equivalent to real-world currency, but I think it would be a stretch to directly consider it as currency.

The rules are vague as to what exactly is considered to be a "gift card that you can add payments to", but regardless, trading one for real-life currency (which would undoubtedly require you to advertise within some part of the Skyblock community) would still be considered "irl trading" regardless of its a Skyblock gift card or not. It may be completely within your legal rights to sell your gift cards, but it still violates the servers' TOS, which they reserve the right to punish you for.

There just isn't a realistic scenario where you just 'happen' to run into someone on a third-party site who'd be willing to purchase a gift card that can only be used on skyblock without any form of advertisement within the community, which violates TOS in the first place.

16. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    I would agree as well, but as you pointed out, the rules don't mention this type of card. This was just some new wording that Grepatue added in a failed attempt to strengthen his argument.

Which is basically my point, and given how different staff interpret and act on different rules, I'm seeking clarity as I am currently making these trades myself.
    Megan seems to understand the need for additional clarification and she has provided that so the thread can be closed now.

Regarding the resale of gift cards, that was really just a spin off line of thought, and not the initial topic of this thread.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  17. Awesomolocity

Awesomolocity Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Awesomolocity
    The entire purpose of having rules in place to prevent players from trading skyblock giftcards for IRL money is so the giftcards have no effective real world value.

18. Megan

IGN:
    Meggann
    Perfect! I will forward this message on to the team and close this for now :)

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by staff members**

19. Megan

IGN:
    Meggann
    This thread has now been closed upon the request of the thread starter.
    If you disagree with this action, please report this post.
    Thread locked and moved to Discussions Archive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.