Skyblock Illegal Thread about Illegal to Trade Items

Discussion in 'Server Gameplay Suggestions' started by RedstoneTrails, Dec 27, 2019.

1. RedstoneTrails

RedstoneTrails Moderator Moderator

IGN:
    RedstoneTrails
    What Monster_Sparklez said is correct. My suggestion would mean that nobody can ever have more than 5 resets available at a time. But every week, they have a chance to gain back a reset. So if you had 5 resets, and then used one, you would get back that reset after a 7 day cooldown. This way, a player doesn't need to worry about ever running out of resets, but it also prevents people from spamming their resets.

2. RedstoneTrails

IGN:
    RedstoneTrails
    Here's a quick little recap of what I've gathered from the community so far, let me know if anyone disagrees with any of these statements...
    1. All sand trade should be legal. 99% of players I've talked to agree that it's more tedious than necessary to keep sand trade illegal, especially when red sand can be traded. I think we should take after MV, and allow normal sand trade.
    2. Add a better form of island reset cooldown, or add some sort of weekly/monthly limits. As it stands, there's only a five minute cooldown between resets, which can apparently be skipped just by joining and leaving a co-op. While better protection won't stop island farming, a slightly more strict system would help prevent common forms of island farming, and make large scale island farming more difficult.
    3. Buckets are fine staying illegal, though we wouldn't mind them being legal. Buckets are a very rarely needed item, with many players able to easily craft a new one with 3 iron when they need. The status of buckets as illegal doesn't seem to help or hurt players much, so this one can go either way.
    4. Dirt trade should most likely stay illegal, though adding in ways to earn more could be useful to new players. Legalizing dirt change would be too much of a culture shock for the server, and would change the way people view grass, dirt, and terraforming. Many players agree that large scale landscapes made with grass should still be something reserved for only those willing to invest their own grass into them, and not be something easily accessible to all players through cheap dirt trade. With that, though, new players do still need some sort of easy way to help get them going. I think fixing challenges would go a long way to help out new players, and having a challenge or two which reward the player with 16-32 dirt could greatly help out new players, as well as giving them a clear target to work towards.

3. Leeeroieee

Leeeroieee Well-Known Member Premium

IGN:
    Leeeroieee
    It's mostly because we have several different island types to choose from and new players often change their minds on what kind of island they'd like to start with. If the cool down were much longer than it is now, new players who don't like the island type they picked might give up on the server altogether rather than wait longer to try another island type.

The cooldown acts as a partial deterrent against island farming, but it was actually added to reduce the lag caused by spamming the command.

Each time you reset an island, the code has to sweep through every possible coordinate on your island looking for blocks and entities to remove. That's over 10 million block positions (256 x 200 x 200) to iterate over, and it causes a lot of lag. We've made it more efficient over time, but any changes to the world must happen in the main server thread, and any large-scale operations like that result in noticeable lag.

Despite the lag it causes, we offer the option of resetting islands as a courtesy to players who want to start over or pick a new starting island type. However, we cannot tolerate it being done repeatedly to try to get extra materials for terraforming or as a strategy to get materials to sell others.

It's really meant as a last resort when players get stuck and can't continue.

I know players lose their buckets. :/

The very first day I joined the server I was trying to build a tower and fell to my death while carrying my bucket. When I respawned, I ran to where I fell and found everything I was carrying except for the one thing I knew I wouldn't be able to continue without.

I asked in chat if anyone would be willing to trade a bucket for a gently-used enchanted bow I got from a skeleton grinder and was immediately told by several players that trading buckets was illegal!!1! I was worried I was going to be banned on my very first day just for asking. :(

So I spent the next hour tearing down my build so I could start over without having to make all that cobblestone over again, only to find my inventory emptied out without warning when I reset my island. :( :(

When I became a developer, I found out that the reason I couldn't find my bucket was that the plugin on classic actually deletes buckets, sand, and dirt from players' inventories when they die rather than allow the items to drop as entities that can be picked up by other players.

My unfortunate experiences on my first day playing on the server are partly the reason the new server has a /lostandfound command to allow players to get back any forbidden trade items that were deleted by the plugin on player death, and why there are now clear warnings about your inventory being cleared when you restart your island.

We want to deter island farming for sure, because repeatedly resetting islands over a short period of time hurts server performance for everyone and is unfair to players that use legitimate means to obtain materials for terraforming and to advance in the game. But at the same time we also want to be mindful of new players' experiences playing on the server and avoid having them quit on their first day because they lose essential items such as their bucket.

From a community perspective, when a new player asks for help over a lost bucket, rather than everyone shouting "illegal!!!" or setting a bad example for them by breaking the rules and giving them actual buckets, it may be better if experienced players show new players where they can find iron ingots at a reasonable price, or maybe have a few generous players each donate an iron ingot and show the new player how to craft a replacement bucket using the /wb or /craft command. Improving new player retention by helping out new players helps the server grow. Everyone benefits by having more players to trade with. :)

Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas on this topic. We're certainly open to suggestions on how to more effectively deter island farming while at the same time keeping the new player experience positive.

• Informative Informative x 5
  4. RedstoneTrails

IGN:
    RedstoneTrails
    Thank you for the detailed reply, Leeeroieee, I had never heard your origin story before haha.
    I think this is where system we recommended could really help out. The initial max could be five resets, or enough resets for a player to try out every island type. Either way, it gives them a way to try out different island types, or restart if they mess up early on, but also warning them with every reset how many more times they can reset.

Keeping it limited per week puts more importance on island resets to players, so they may not spam it as much they would otherwise. That way fewer server resources have to be used going through the process of wiping and restarting islands. It also keeps island farming more limited, as it prevents someone from just using one account to endlessly farm islands.
    This is what I usually try to do. When someone asks in chat if anyone has a bucket, I first assume they lost their bucket. I'll ask them if they lost their bucket, and if they say yes, I'll have them try using /LNF. If that fails, and they've been friendly about things, I'll give them three ingots for free so they can craft a new bucket (I usually forget to mention /wb though, even though I've never made a workbench on this server in all my years lol). If they were being a bit rude, or seemed aggressive, I'd show them places they can buy iron, or tell them ways they could get some free iron, such as voting or in voter crates.

5. AUH20L

AUH20L Member

I think you're right to raise the issues, and I like your suggestions, although they may not be necessary or may prove not to work well once implemented.

I have only one word of caution - Skyblock is a semi-survival style of gameplay and the whole idea of growing an island from limited resources is one that appeals to a number of players on the server. (There are plenty of creative servers around for those of us who 'just want the blocks' to start building with.) At the same time the server is set up to allow those of us who want a reduced challenge to obtain grass by voting, or the more business-savvy amongst us to run complex retail or gambling systems to accelerate the accumulation process, thus it caters for a number of different mindsets. Some (like me) are simply attracted to the server because they like the idea of building on a fairytale island in the sky. I think it would be necessary to implement any agreed changes with caution, so as not to lose the above characteristics of Skyblock.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AUH20L

AUH20L Member

Is there a way of implementing a function that allows island resetting without a cool down, but that introduces a cool down once certain blocks or quantities of blocks have been broken/placed?...

I didn't find the /warp island area until after I'd spent some time building ... by that time it was easier just to switch biome than to try and start again from scratch. It would be helpful if players were somehow led to /warp island as soon as possible upon joining the server.
    It would also be helpful if new players were somehow directed to the /warp info area as soon as possible, but I appreciate not everyone reads a manual before playing.

7. iQuestionLogic

iQuestionLogic Active Member Premium

IGN:
    iQuestionLogic
  8. RedstoneTrails

IGN:
    RedstoneTrails
    Upon suggestion of BertBerry, I've given this thread a bit of an update. I also thought I'd include my current thoughts on the matter after having some more time to think about things and discuss scenarios over.

Sand has been legalized, so you can ignore that portion of the suggestion now. I'll leave it up for historical purposes.

For island farming, I'm a huge supporter of limiting island resets. I'm still a believer that limiting how many times you can reset your island per-week or per-month would go a long way to help avoid island farming issues. There are some players who have access to hundreds to thousands of alts, and will be able to easily bypass this restriction, but the common player only has access to a few alts or friends that they can use for island farming purposes. If players still do choose to island farm, they would need to do it at a much slower rate than they're currently able to. I've seen players use 1-2 accounts to farm thousands of dirt within a week, just resetting the same two islands tons of times within a week.

With dirt trade, I support the idea of dirt being legal to trade, but am no longer a strong believe in it being sold at /warp trade. Offering it there would allow players to farm large amounts of dirt too easily, and would quickly reduce the value of dirt and terraformed islands.

Alternatively, I think the focus should be on rewarding new players with small amounts of dirt upon completing challenges, as well as allowing players to trade or donate dirt to one-another. Legalizing dirt may not fly on our current server, though, as players have now gone over two years knowing dirt to be illegal. Players have invested large sums of time and grass into building up terraformed islands with placed grass, and it would be slightly unfair to them to legalize dirt trade now, making them feel like they may have wasted grass on the island (more than they already feel they did).

Adding dirt rewards to challenges would work fine with our current system, though. New players would have an additional source of dirt for their farms, and older players wouldn't feel like they've missed out on much. Being able to trade dirt would be nice, but I think it would only work in a scenario in which we add island reset limits, and implement a better system for detecting suspicious activities (i.e. sending staff or managers a warning when multiple accounts connected to the same network are detected joining the server, and only creating and resetting islands).

With a solid method to prevent island farming, I think legal dirt trade is a very viable option.

As for buckets, I support legalizing bucket trade. It is still slightly frustrating needing to throw 3 iron ingots to a player when they want another bucket, instead of just being able to directly toss them a bucket. It is also especially annoying for co-ops, who may wish to pass a bucket between one-another, but instead have to go through the process of finding a chest, placing the bucket in the chest, and having the other player take the bucket.

Buckets have the same limiting criteria for me as dirt. I only believe buckets should be made legal to trade if we add island reset limits, and hopefully a better means for catching island farmers.

In conclusion... In the current state of the server, I do not believe dirt or bucket trade could be made legal. It is still too easy to island farm undetected, and legalizing the two would make it much more difficult to track island farmers. With preventive measures and better detection implemented, though, I think bucket trade and dirt trade could definitely work out well on our server.

Without any changes to the server's current island reset system, I do think it would still be nice to add some challenges which reward dirt. This is relatively harmless, and greatly helps out new players, helping ease them into the server and give them a better early game experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Marcy

Marcy Apostlé of Falcons Premium

IGN:
    Marcawn
    The solutions like you said for the illegal items to trade, could be possible for this server to handle, There was once a suggestion that Blyx made a long time ago, it was about replacing yellow sand to red sand so red sand could be illegal and yellow sand can be legal.