How to make a excellent Moderator Application.

Discussion in 'Discussions Archive' started by Levis, Apr 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Levis

Levis Member

Introduction
    I've decided to post this to help some people out. I like to give my opinion on a mod app and that means being critical. People that are new and applying for a mod on this server this note is for you. A moderator is a kind of helper, they advice and help other players. Commands enable them to ban and mute people when given a valid reason and strong evidence to support. It is recommended that you get to know the server first before applying as most people will put no support, therefore I am warning you now. I have never been a mod and do not want to be, but I want the best staff any server has ever seen (it is already quite amazing). You should know that it is a lot of effort and responsibility despite what some people may say. Do not let me put you off though I am only giving you guidance on how to write a mod app.

Tips before starting:
    -Read through other mod apps (accepted) to gather information, such as the length of the application and the detail.
    -Think about whether or not you want this and that you are old/ mature enough to take on this responsibility, some people can handle it such.
    -Activity, are you active on the forums and in game.
    -Do you have recording software to record hackers?
    -Do you have any past bans or warnings etc. ?

Structuring your mod app and what to put:

Introduction
    Write a brief intro, basically outline what game modes you like and what you like to do on SkyBlock. You can also write what you like in real life but try not to add too much personal info, none at all is better for the intro.

The following are very easy to complete:

Your ign - list your current Minecraft username, you can also add any old ones.
    How old are you? - All you need to do is put your age :). If you are uncomfortable about putting it, just put a small age range like 12-14.
    What timezone are you in? - This again is easy to write. It depends on where you live. For example if you live in New York in America the timezone would be -05:00. You can look up your timezone on the internet.
    What country do you live in? - Where to you live? You only need to state the country.
    What languages do you speak? As this server is primarily USA and Australian you should aim to speak a fair bit of English and well as your own country's language. For this section list all the languages you can speak in.

Now the main bit:

Why do you think you should become mod?
    Some people think that they can get away with writing very little in the section. You should actually aim to write a fair bit, list ant personality traits and explain them in how it is useful for a mod. Here if one example answer on how not to write it:

I wanna be mod cuz I think that hackers are bad and I wanna help to ban them. Many other mods have the power to ban someone and I want to as well.

This is bad because they haven't used proper English for a start. Using proper English will gain you support because it shows that you take careful time and interest in creating the mod app. Another issue is that it is in yellow, this is very difficult to see. This one is slightly easier because it is is darker yellow but when it comes round to making a mod app you don't want to burn people's eyes out. Lastly there simply isn't enough detail. They haven't listed any personal traits and explained them. It is like a CV you want to say you stand o, this is the most important part and this defines you from the other 200 or so people that are writing a mod app. Here is part of an example on a good and well structured mod app:

Why do you think you should become a moderator?

Honesty - I don't like to lie, especially when it comes to real life. I am honest and come clean about wrongdoings. This is useful for becoming a mod because if I got in I would have to ban people in reason, if this wasn't done then I would definitely say it was me. If I wrongly banned a person I would say it was me, even at the risk of losing my position. Tell the truth is more important than trying to get someone else into trouble.

Helpful - I try to be very helpful in SkyBlock and in real life. If someone asked me a question then I would answer it truthfully. If I didn't know I would ask another, more experienced mod. If I became mod I would try my best to help other people if needed, I would also offer help to people that are struggling with the game mode. I would also do this in the forums, if someone asked me a question such as how do you view your trophy points, In would answer by saying "Click on your profile picture and where you see the number of trophy points you have click on them".

This is much better, only part of what you should write. Aim to discuss around 4 or 5 personality traits in this length of detail. This would be sure to gain you support! You can also provide examples and feel free to add your knowledge of a mod's commands on to your mod app.

How long can you be active on the server everyday?
    Make a list of how long you play in game everyday and also how long you can spend on the forums. The more active you are the more likely you will become mod. Here it an example:

Monday-Thursday 2 hours in game and 3 hours on the forums
    Friday-Sunday up to four hours in game and about 4 hours on the forums.

NOTE: This doesn't have to be in a lot of detail.

How long have you been playing Mineverse?

You just need to say when did you first start playing MV and when you joined the forums.

Have you ever been banned in the past?

This includes forums and in game. If you have been banned in the past think about your actions. How have you learned from this mistake? Also if you were recently banned it may show that you aren't ready to become a mod. Structure this carefully if you have been banned in the past.

Do you have any past experience as a moderator?

If you have had experience then list them, add in the server name so people can check and how long you were mod for. You may also include things such as builder, admin, helper and owner. Any kind of staff on another server is experience. If you have had no experience say no don't worru though. There is always a first time for anything.

Additional information

This may be in the form of an outro. Say what servers you like playing on and put thanks for reading at the end as it shows politeness. Add what you like to do on these servers if you want. Don't forget you are applying for a global mod though.

For the template please follow this link:

Polls

It is nice to add a poll but it is better to count up the supports, neutrals and no supports. Add them right to the end to prove to people that you have read through all of their comments. An example it below:

Support - 25
    Neutral - 8
    No support - 3

Any other tips:
    -Originality is key in a mod app. Speak the truth and do not copy other's mod apps.
    -Read through afterwards and check for any punctuation and grammes mistakes.
    -Respond to feedback nicely, you don't want to offend people.
    -Take on board any feedback and improve! This is the most key point!

Feedback on a mod app (tips):
    -Don't say neutral, it is your valid opinion and they will either make a good mod or will not.
    -Criticise them, not too harshly though. They are writing a mod app they need constructive feedback in order to improve.
    -Don't say "Be more active". Add other points too, if someone has already said they are working on their activity put another point.
    -If you think they have written a bad mod app and they are your friend don't put support just because of this. If they aren't ready for you to say no support perhaps they aren't ready for applying for mod. Part of writing it beforehand is so you can gain feedback. It isn't a competition to see his many supports you can gain becoming a mod is very serious.

Thanks for reading my guide and I hope this helps!

2. Dewsiee

Dewsiee Boss Member

3. Levis

Levis Member

Which section does it needs to be?

4. Myrmidous

Myrmidous Well-Known Member Premium

Google says this should be on Mineverse, here is the thread sir: How To Write a Great Mod Thread. Oddly it seems to be by someone named "Snowy", is that your other account?

Also (this is rather odd) Google suggests Krissy's post when I looked this up: Ultimate Mod Application Guide. This is a seriously interesting level of application-ception.

5. Levis

Levis Member

I know, but I wanted to make one here too, and Snowy's Moderator Guide was a very good one, so.

6. Myrmidous

Myrmidous Well-Known Member Premium

It's a direct and uncredited copy, sir. That is the literal definition of plagiarism.

Quoting to avoid "Kung Fu Edits".

7. Dewsiee

Dewsiee Boss Member

Guides and how to's.

8. Levis

Levis Member

Ow sorry, didn't notice that section.

9. Ca1

Ca1 Senior Member

Wrong section

10. Krissy

Krissy f̺͆o̺͆r̺͆g̺͆m̺͆i̺͆n̺͆ Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

Until you get permission from snowy to copy his thread im going to move the threads to archives. I want evidence of this permission. Please do not copy other people's work without permission.
    It would be better if you re-wrote and made a guide based on snowy's rather than copy the whole thing. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.