Economy How about more hoppers?

Discussion in 'Server Gameplay Suggestions' started by badpeteno, Dec 23, 2020.

1. badpeteno

badpeteno Well-Known Member

IGN:
    BadPeteNo
    Currently, 99x99 islands are limited to 48 hoppers and 199*199 gets 96.

If you have a variety of farms, or if you want to build something smart like an item sorter, you have to make hard choices like "can I add one more kind of profit farm or can I auto-sort ores into sell chests" or "jeez, I'd really like these sell chests in the profit farm to fill faster but I just can't afford 2 hoppers per chest".

I'm not suggesting we go nuts, but maybe 64 and 128 respectively (or even 56 and 112).

Any increase would be beneficial. Hoppers are pretty heavily nerfed as it is and I don't think they represent a significant contributor to lag as it is.

• Support Support x 6
    • No Support No Support x 4
  2. KhalDrogo

KhalDrogo Experienced Member

IGN:
    Drogo
    Drogo has an effective way of sorting his ores that uses one hopper per item and a fast red stone pulse that probably causes more lag that the standard three hopper per item sorter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mini

Mini gronola bar Premium

IGN:
    minified
    I agree, especially for the 99x99 islands (and people without ranks), without a rank it can be a lot tougher to make quick money in other ways than farming. Since hoppers are so heavily nerfed it's hard to do that. I get that it reduces lag, but honestly what are 12 more hoppers going to do compared to those who mob grind.

Support

4. Tog

Tog atpoaim Discord Moderator Premium Premium Premium Premium

IGN:
    Togpuss
    Hopper limits are there for a reason- to limit lag. There’s other ways of sorting hoppers/items, such as water streams. No support.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    There absolutely are other ways. But Drogo’s way may very well cause more lag than hoppers.

6. Porky

Porky Active Member

Would be nice to have, but it would also be nice to have 20tps. we all know this limit won’t change

No support sry

7. badpeteno

IGN:
    BadPeteNo
    Why does believing something won't change cause you to not support it? Seems a bit pessimistic to me.

8. MorayEel

MorayEel Active Member Premium

IGN:
    MorayEel
    I support this. I have gotten to the point where I can no longer expand my profit shop or build additional farms on my main island because I have reached the hopper limit. I have experienced no lag whatsoever even with having all 96 hoppers active. I now have the need to start a second island if I plan on making more item-producing creations.

9. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Never say never. The recently upgraded servers might handle a hopper increase just fine.

10. Grips23

Grips23 Active Member

IGN:
    Grips23
    Neutral - leaning support

There was a dark time where i hit the hopper limit, it cause me to pause and rethink how i gathered items, since this i've been removing hoppers and using different channeling method for items, but this is at the cost of a minor clag tax, but free'd up many hoppers, maybe helpful to try

Currently Users are able to get around the limit anyhow with hopper minecarts, which cause lag much greater than the item movement of a hopper block, As they are an entity moving in the world, constantly checking for entities above themselves, and updating its own hitbox during movement

It might be an idea to increasing the final limit to 128, allowing for an extra 32 hoppers on 199x199 islands, but a minecart//hopper minecart counter would also suit to add at the same time, to reduce the total amount of uncovered hoppers, these numbers could match or be 2/3rds of hopper limit but not greater than

Lag Concerns with increasing the limit are fair, we dont want less tps we want more n more, but hoppers sitting there transferring items down in a limit are not a crazy input of commands even considerably less than vanilla rates as hoppers move 16x at a time, more concerning is the redstone controlling them around it, but with current redstone limits, any device creating ticks too often would naturally lock up and be broken, so if hoppers were increased, i think it would//could just make things more comfortable for stacking chests to collect items

However, my reason for neutral - increasing it is a fix for a problems that stems from people being wanting to cut the simple task of sort items themselves, a task that isn't quite hard considering we can shift double click items to gather all of 1 type at a time so isn't really vital for gameplay but a nice bonus if we could allocate hoppers to this task in future

11. badpeteno

IGN:
    BadPeteNo
    My main reason for wanting this is the ability to feed a variety of chest shops as fast and full as possible. All profit, all community service. More than half of my hoppers are plugged into the back of sell chests.

Crazy idea... since a hopper plugged into a chest has most likely reached it's terminal state of redstone activity and is encouraging preferred play styles like selling things to players... why not nerf those less?

EDIT: took me 90 seconds to figure out how to exploit that... probably not a good idea.