Skyblock /gifts and Hunts discussion

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by LeoSteel, Jan 24, 2023.

Tags:
?

Too many heads?

1. Yes, I think too many!

15 vote(s)
    57.7%
  2. I don’t know? Maybe?

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. No, I want to see more.

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  1. Grepatue

Grepatue Active Member

IGN:
    Grepatue
    I was sweating tbh.

2. boba

boba modern manifesto Premium

IGN:
    BobaLatte
    The "red box" is symbolic in the Lunar New Year, not sure how that's a bit lacklustre but okay..

Honestly I like how they went from only having DPs for Christmas, Easter, and Halloween to including different cultures and traditions such as the St. Patrick's Day Head and the Chinese Lantern for Lunar New Year. It's nice that they're being inclusive. Sure, it seems like "a lot of heads" to some people who don't celebrate these holidays or even to those that do but play Skyblock way too much, but acknowledging different cultures must mean a lot to people. I think some people need to put aside the fact that not all heads are being given for collection but hold sentiment value and are a way to celebrate the diversity in the Skyblock community.

I agree on the part of the glitched heads with different lores and I'm sure they'll take more precaution when giving out heads to ensure there are no glitches.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. LeoSteel

LeoSteel Active Member

Thank you for your input! I respect the value outside of grass it holds to those who celebrate these holidays I do, and again this isnt about denying the diversity and celebrations, it’s more about how we do that, there are many holidays we haven’t celebrated yet, I’m just testing the water here before perhaps making a suggestion, that we might like to see different more unique items when it comes to celebrations.

What I have to ask is, do you believe the sentimental value is placed in it because it’s a head or because it’s a celebration of that holiday? If it’s not about it being a head, then why couldn’t it be a firework? Or perhaps a custom skinned sea lantern so it actually provided light? Just my thoughts.

4. boba

IGN:
    BobaLatte
    i get this point and agree to make the items more diverse, but i honestly don't see the big deal in a head :skull: maybe it's because i'm not a hardcore head collector on a video game and i feel as if heads have more detailing entailed on them through their unique design like the red/yellow pattern on the chinese lantern to signify the lunar new year + asians set off lanterns to let go off the past. not every traditional event with religious/cultural ties to it can be symbolized with random items like a sea lantern or a firework.

but this is just my opinion

• Old Old x 1
  5. LeoSteel

LeoSteel Active Member

I respect and understand your opinion, thanks again for your input!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Grepatue

Grepatue Active Member

IGN:
    Grepatue
    This is a fair and valid point but some heads are little much like...a candy cane when they already have stuff for that holiday, an american flag when they already have stuff for that holiday, or a hot chocholate when they have stuff for that holiday or two irish related heads for the same holiday when one seemed sufficient especially when they were /gift items.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Queen

Queen Well-Known Member

IGN:
    QueenxAlex
    Should have given us a Chinese dragon or something cool lol

I agree the red box IS lacklustre

Enough said on that topic

8. boba

IGN:
    BobaLatte
    I think since we already have DPs for Christmas, Halloween and Easter, /gifts should be focused on acknowledging and celebrating various holidays rather than additional gifts for holidays that are already given so much attention so I agree with you on that note.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Grepatue

Grepatue Active Member

IGN:
    Grepatue
    Yes perfect! My point exactly. /gifts should be used for the non ‘big 3 DP related’ holidays. Also used in a way that isn’t like St. Pattys Day with two head releases in one day for the same thing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. lilCupcakeFreak

lilCupcakeFreak Well-Known Member Discord Moderator

IGN:
    lilcupcakefreak
    There might be a lot of heads, but I personally LOVE decorating with them, they add so much for being just 1 item.

The lores and stuff I can get confusing and annoying if they change but end of the day it's just an item in a game, you don't have to collect everything. Most of the hunt and /gift heads are my absolute favorite ones.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Grepatue

Grepatue Active Member

IGN:
    Grepatue
    As someone who collects I couldn’t disagree more with this statement and any collector would likely agree this is off base when it comes to their personal opinions on it. Most of us take collecting very serious and strain to get everything just as an unwritten rule of collecting. (This is not to take away from your love of decorating with them, I’m just pointing out that some of us have very different reasons for loving or disliking heads.)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. LeoSteel

LeoSteel Active Member

Thank for your input while I respect your view, I do disagree with saying that we “don’t need to collect everything”, what you do with heads is build and decorate, what we do is pride ourselves on collections, why are you treating them differently?

Saying “you don’t have to collect everything” is like us saying to you “you don’t have to build hogwarts” but its what you like to do and enjoy, the same way we like to collect things. It’s the 25th of Jan and we’ve had 3 heads already, we are just suggesting some variety that’s all.

Thanks again for your perspective, the more input the better.

13. MorayEel

MorayEel Active Member Premium

IGN:
    MorayEel
    I think having /gift heads and holiday items boosts overall player count/activity on the server and so that may also play a role in the recent surge in new heads.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. LeoSteel

LeoSteel Active Member

I can respect that view, the DPs clearly bring the player base back, I don’t know how healthy that is in terms of population long term, but I understand that it can help a little with retention and activity.

Still wonder if it needs to be a head (or 2) each time, but I am fully on board with having more events celebrating different holidays. Especially if it helps with retention.

15. lilCupcakeFreak

lilCupcakeFreak Well-Known Member Discord Moderator

IGN:
    lilcupcakefreak
    I dont mean to treat it differently, so if thats how it came across sorry!

I do see how collectors might have a different pov as me, wich is why I commented. But with the server being vanilla I feel like heads are a better option, since they can give you a bigger variety of items (going on how they look).
    Would a re-named egg for easter be more exciting to collectors than another head?
    Eventually you'll end up with a bunch of renamed items, and those could either be a variety of heads or a select few but limited amount of items right?

If I'm completely wrong, please correct me. I'd love to learn the collectors pov :D

exactly, wich is why I gave my opinion on the matter

16. LeoSteel

LeoSteel Active Member

What you said didn’t entirely come across that way, no, so no apologies needed for expressing your thoughts. I just thought of shifting that pov to see it for how we see it.

I understand the appeal of heads, I get that it can be more customised and perhaps better suited. To answer your question about an egg for Easter, would it be more exciting? To me yes, because it’s more unique than another reskinned head and adds an element of mystery, and let’s be totally honest some heads look like what they are supposed to and some are a bit hit and miss. Then some are repeats of an already existing DP head to cause even more confusion to players that aren’t savvy, and potentially asking for scams. On top of that, the whole “accidental” double lore issues that have happened multiple times.

Im not saying we get rid of heads at all, but to spice up the variety by throwing in a (relevant and meaningful) lored item. Or perhaps a custom effect that can be activated from a lored bottle.

Just looking at ways to bring back some mystery, we all know a head is coming each time, most people don’t care how it looks, they just care how much grass they can get for it.

Thanks again for your input! And never be sorry for expressing your thoughts!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. BuffLuigiMan

BuffLuigiMan Active Member

What i'm hearing is we need an Australia day head ong

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Queen

Queen Well-Known Member

IGN:
    QueenxAlex
    Yeah where tf is our Australia day head? AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE

19. athena_x

athena_x Well-Known Member

IGN:
    creationism
    leaked 2023 /gifts head list (OMG)! (sarcasm/satire)
    • new year’s day
    • lunar new year
    • groundhog day
    • valentine’s day
    • mother’s day
    • president’s day
    • st patrick’s day
    • father’s day
    • memorial day
    • juneteenth
    • independence day
    • labor day
    • veteran’s day
    • thanksgiving day
    lol seriously though, i think the main issue is just getting the glitched lore heads like EVERY SINGLE TIME. like someone needa be double checking that stuff fr

i don’t have a problem with a bigger variety of heads, it doesn’t really saturate the market as it’s widely accepted that gift heads are NOWHERE NEAR IN VALUE TO DP HEADS.

the real problem are these “glitched” heads that people be selling for ridiculous amounts

speaking personally, trying to make my head glossary forums post was a NIGHTMARE because of how many items have alternative or glitched lores. still finding out about new ones that were completely overlooked, even after hours of research and scraping the forums and discord.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  20. Sky

Sky Active Member Premium

IGN:
    SkyGuyGamerz
    Or like an actual lantern, oh wait the server is t 1.19 my bad

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Old Old x 1