Accepted [Emerald] Rate abuse [Lee][Accepted]

Discussion in 'Appeals Archive' started by Emerald, May 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emerald

Emerald Senior Member

IGN:
    TheEpicEmerald
    1. Server name (.net / .org ): Forums
    2. In-game name: Emerald_x
    3. Full exact Ban Message: Rating Perms banned permanently
    4. Did you read the rules ? Yes
    5. Why do YOU think you were banned? I believe I was banned because I rated Myrm's News and Announcement thread rude
    6. Was this an incorrect ban? Yes, I got a perm ban for one rating when I only had a warning from a moderator before, which wasn't even a verbal warning given to me but just a conversation
    7. Were you ever banned before on SkyBlock? If so, what for? Really can't remember but for saying a server name in chat and spamming a mod's profile
    Why do you think you should be unbanned? I should have not have been given a perm ban or a ban at all as I felt it was rude and was not given the opportunity to talk to a moderator about it. The banning mod could've asked me why I thought it was rude and if it wasn't valid I should've been banned, but the way the forum banning guideline goes. Under the Forum Infraction Thread it states:

"Rate Abuse
    First Time Offenders/Small Rate Abuse
    1 day ban - 1 week ban - Rate abuse group 1 month - Rate abuse group perm

Mass Rate Abuse (25 Ratings or More)
    1 month removal of Perms - Rate abuse group perm"

Now, I did not have 25 ratings or more so it wasn't a mass rate abuse. I had one rude rating given for a valid reason and got a permanent ban. The first offense should be a 1 day ban and not a permanent ban. I was warned for rating posts rude before by the moderator that currently banned me, but they skipped all the infractions before permanent and I got a permanent ban for it. I do not understand why I got a permanent ban for only using 1 rude rating towards a thread. If you see it as abuse that's fine, but I should've been at least asked why I rated it rude before I was permanently banned from rating.

There are some people out there on forums who have many bans leading up to a permanent rating ban, but this is only my first offense (excluding the conversation I got previously). No where does it state that I should be getting a permanent ban for this. If my rude rating given was invalid by the staff, I should've at most gotten a 1 day ban

This is the only thing I've gotten prior to my ban

Leeeroieee

2. Leeeroieee

Leeeroieee Well-Known Member Premium

IGN:
    Leeeroieee
    Hi Emerald,

I'm very sorry that I had to remove your rating privileges. I had hoped that reaching out to you privately as I did the last time you were reported for rate abuse would have resolved the issue, but it seems it didn't have the intended effect.

Your most recent infraction was the result of a rude rating you applied to an announcement posted by a staff member at the request of the server owner, and which senior staff reviewed and approved before it was posted. Prior to this, you rated as rude a response the same staff member made to a player's request for assistance with a donor issue. In neither case had the staff member in question done or said anything improper, and in both cases, they were just doing their job, assisting other players, and being polite and courteous. Giving someone a rude rating when they are clearly not being rude is a specific example of rate abuse given in the thread I pointed you to.

Rate abuse matters because unfairly giving people negative ratings whenever they speak up shuts down discussion and discourages others from participating. While you're entitled to your feelings and to express them respectfully, abusing your rating privileges as a way to get back at people you don't like is a form of bullying and harassment. You wouldn't like it if someone did that to you, and if I saw someone doing that to you, I would not tolerate it.

Your actions seem targeted at one specific individual, and it seems to me you might be harboring some kind of grudge or resentment towards this person. This is your own personal business of course and none of mine, but my advice to you is to either reach out to this person privately to try to resolve whatever grievance you may have against them, or to let it go and pretend they don't exist.

In any event, we can't have you rate abusing people like this. How do you propose to make this right?

3. Emerald

Emerald Senior Member

IGN:
    TheEpicEmerald
    Can you please explain to me how one rude rating gives me a permanent ban from rating. I've seen a lot worse from my days of moderating, this doesn't even deserve a warning at all. I would be fine with a verbal warning and at most a 1 day ban if you guys saw something wrong, but for me to give a rude rating to a specific staff member that I have given rude ratings in the past and get a permanent ban for it is unbelievable to me. The next punishment should be a 1 day ban as I have already been warned for this previously, but this was not even rate abuse as I saw something I did not like in his thread.

How can you say that this is bullying and harassment? Bullying is when you make yourself look more powerful over another and do harmful things to them, I did not do that at all.

This is an unfair punishment as I did nothing wrong and got a way too harsh ban for this. A perm ban should be massive rate abuse, but the thing is I did not do that and the first offense for that is a 1 month ban

4. Fun

Fun Tyler Jøseph Premium

Hi, Emerald! :blush:

You have a verbal warning on your record for rate abuse. You also have a verbal warning from Lee. This makes the rate abuse at least your third offense.

You are right. On your "record" you don't have many rate abuse offenses. However, there is info from the senior staff that states you rate abuse quite often, but you're not punished for it. This means you've committed many infractions of rate abuse.

Technically, you have rate abuse many times. However, it seems as if, instead of apologizing and recognizing your actions, you've decided to choose the route of "I don't deserve this." If you think deeply, you will remember that you haven't been the best with giving out ratings recently. You should recognize your faults. Sometimes it's better to face them rather than trying to get away with it. It is much more appreciable if one chooses this route. Next time you appeal or post, take the friendly side instead of the highly defensive side! Friendly people get better results as they are genuine and understanding.

To address your claims of "doing nothing wrong," you are wrong here. You did rate abuse. The punishment may seem a tad extreme, yes. However, you approached this appeal in an aggressive and defensive manor. I strongly believe that if you approached it in a calm, friendly, understanding, and remorseful way, you would have seen a more light result than this shut down. This is just for future reference, mon copain. :tongueout:

5. Emerald

Emerald Senior Member

IGN:
    TheEpicEmerald
    I can see how my response may be unfriendly and defensive but if you were in my position you might understand the feeling of having to appeal after losing permissions. I didn't mean to come across as "harassing" over ratings. I was just angry and took out that on Myrm which I can see now wasn't fair. I have been thinking about things and I realize that it wasn't appropriate to use my ratings in this way. I should have just left Myrm alone rather than rate his posts. I wouldn't like it if someone did the same to me and I feel bad for what I did. I would like my rating perms returned and to make things right I will use my ratings properly from now on, and not because i'm angry at someone. I will also apologize to Myrm for the trouble caused. I am sorry for causing trouble and starting the appeal defensively.

6. Leeeroieee

Leeeroieee Well-Known Member Premium

IGN:
    Leeeroieee
    Alright Emerald. I'll take you at your word and restore your rating permissions. Please use your powers only for good from now on. :)

Remember that you have the power to make a difference in someone's life. Put yourself in their shoes and treat them the way you would want to be treated. Try to remember that we're all human beings with feelings, and treat others with dignity even when they make mistakes. :heart:

Your ban appeal has been accepted.
    Thread locked and moved to Ban Appeal Archives.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.