Skyblock Delete inactive/ one time join islands

Discussion in 'Server Gameplay Suggestions' started by Tog, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Brake

Brake Experienced Member

If this was introduced, old players who have not done the command will not be able to "lock" their island and their island will be deleted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. PCcoolguy100

PCcoolguy100 Senior Member

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100
    no support, most of my reasons already stated. People could use a default island to store rares that they want to keep very, very secure, like a creeper egg, or store resources that they're going to need for a build if a person's ever going to start it.

I know I used new islands on brand new alts with brand new islands to store probably the most valuable item in the game, so valuable that they were deleted by a former smod (these were kinda illegal. Stacked splash potions). These islands will have an island level of 0 and because chest logging is buggy, it has a possibility of detecting nothing and will delete the island... and then your broke.

There's a reason why this wasn't already implemented; otherwise this would've been implemented in 2016 when warps and spawns started getting "newislanded" (overwritten by a new island). Too much trouble for what its worth.

Edit: I forgot that this actually was implemented after this started happening, and at one point it was if you were inactive for 6 months your island would be deletd. They (Noobcrew) removed it just because of how many people complained about it. I remember my oldest island was deleted because when I left the coop, I thought it'd go to the next most active player (which was Levesile, one of my best mates irl). No, it went to someone who hadn't been active for 2 years and 2 months later Levesile logged on to the island completely gone.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  3. ShawnBerry

ShawnBerry Active Member Premium

IGN:
    ShawnBerry
    Support. funny enough if this had been an active thing, my islands would have been deleted because i was inactive for nearly 3 years haha. I still support, we should have warnings tho... or appeal to have island deleted idk lol i support

4. Marcy

Marcy Apostlé of Falcons Premium

IGN:
    Marcawn
    No Support, it would cause so much problems & situations, there are a bit of OG players coming back, and if we do this, OG players would be mad if they're progress that they made is gone.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Gutlerglates

Gutlerglates Active Member

IGN:
    IKillU69x
    (If it can be done for free). I also want my island connected with my alt account.
    The way I would try doing it is by asking a mod how to connect my islands,

I'm assuming they would have to do it so it in there own time and they would have to be willing to do it because I don't think its a requirement that they have to do either. (I might be wrong)

Maybe the way that they do it is by, you having to take down all your buildings, store them on a friends island, then contact a mod to help you set up 2 fresh new islands next to each other and start again but with 2 fresh islands.

I don't know how they would do that or how they do it, but it seems like it would be easier to have it automatically make your islands next to each-other rather than searching for a vacant spot to fit 2 islands and less harmful than deleting islands)I know this wont work but kinda like this: By doing /newisland on both accounts at the same time, they will generate next to each other :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. RedstoneTrails

RedstoneTrails Moderator Moderator

IGN:
    RedstoneTrails
    Couple issues with implementing anything like this:
    1. It'd be near impossible to automate in a fair way. Some players may have an island where it's just a chest or two and a default island, but they have all of their valuables stored in those chests. I know some Classic players who never got into the new server, but still get on every now and then to claim their kit, and store the valuables in their chests/enderchest. While their enderchest would be safe, many players would still have items in their chest that they may not want to lose.
    2. Only fool proof method would be to have a manager manually handle every island deletion. They would verify that the player has not been on in X amount of time, verify that nothing of value has been placed on the island or within the chest(s) on the island. If everything checks out, they would then delete the island, and set the players spawn back to the server spawn. If the server was brand new, this might work. With it's current state, though, the number of island deletion requests would be extreme. Hundreds of players would request island deletions, with managers instantly having a queue of hundreds to thousands of islands to verify and delete. Managers generally have a lot going on already, so having a queue of so many islands to check out would take them ages to get to, and take away from valuable time that's already limited.
    Overall, I think it would be nice for the overall experience if inactive, non-built islands got deleted. It is a bit sad to make a new island, only to see you're surrounded on all four sides by generic starter islands, many of which are untouched. However, there is no fool-proof way to automate it, and it'd take obnoxious amounts of time for staff to manually go through and approve island deletions.

If you want to have islands connected, you can just create islands on two accounts back to back. The islands fill in a spiral around the center, so if you run /ni on two accounts back to back, they will spawn in next to each other. Keep in mind that /ni replace doesn't give you a new location, it just replaces your current island at the exact same spot. Also keep in mind that players leaving their island to join a co-op will also delete their island, and leave an open spot in a random location that needs filled in. So before you go creating new islands, wait for a few new players to join and create new islands, that way you can be mostly certain that all holes in the grid are filled, increasing the chances that you get two islands next to each other.

• Informative Informative x 3
  7. Blyx

Blyx Senior Member

IGN:
    Blyx_
    I’m not entirely sure about this suggestion, hence my neutral rating.

Yes, it might have some benefits, but also it has a lot of downsides which would need to be ironed out before something like this could ever be implemented, but again I’m not sure if that’s possible in entirety.

I agree with the statements about leaving and coming back to find your island gone, but I also acknowledge the mention of a level limit (although as Redstone said, that doesn’t fix the problem of keeping kits in starter chests).

I like this idea too, but advertising it to everyone could be a problem in the long-run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Divine_Eidolon

Divine_Eidolon Member

I would support this if there was any feasible way of doing it. I too have fancied the islands round me, but bar one, they haven't been on in 1-2 years, but by most of the suggestions above; my island would have been deleted when I stepped away from the game leaving me with nothing to come back to when I started up again. As it is, nothing suggested would be able to achieve the results that would be looked for, and that I too have looked for, without either having a system potentially damaging for the server and community, or creating an untenable workload for staff...

The idea to protect your island is nice, but with the number of players who are fairly established not knowing some of the commands we might think to be basic, there would be many islands that the owners wouldn't want to be deleted, but yet would be at risk. I also think that the converse may be an issue; if this was a command that was advertised in the server tips in chat, I know that the first thing I would've done when I created my island would have been to /protect it, which would lead to abandoned islands potentially being protected, which would inevitably lead to a thread similar to this about the deletion of inactive /protect-ed islands.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Tog

Tog atpoaim Discord Moderator Premium Premium Premium Premium

IGN:
    Togpuss
    Bump. :coffee:

10. Flamin_JJ

Flamin_JJ Active Member

IGN:
    Flamin_JJ
    I understand your point of view on this topic but I don’t support it. To start off, I have taken breaks from the server and one of them was greater than 1.5 years and if when I came back my island was deleted I would not be too happy. Also, I feel like your idea about letting players use the islands around them where there is an inactive player to increase the size of their own island would be unfair to players who want to do the same but don’t have inactive neighbors. Thirdly, I agree with PCcoolguy100 (aka phr33z) that many people use alt accounts to store their valuables and leave those islands at very low levels. It would be unfair if their islands would be deleted along with all of their rare items. Therefore, I have no support for these reasons.

11. bERYbERRY

bERYbERRY c000000000000000kies Builder Premium

IGN:
    BertBerry
    Neutral.

Sure it can be of help to people wanting chain islands or only wanting to have active neighbours but it's not really much of a good idea. First of all, It can create a bunch of unnecessary stress to the managers, players especially old players who would come on every now and then would see that their island no longer exists which cause them to quit maybe even permanently, thus loads of players might quit. I have an inactive neighbour who would come on every few months and it would be a bummer for him to log on and see that he doesn't have his island anymore.

12. Tog

Tog atpoaim Discord Moderator Premium Premium Premium Premium

IGN:
    Togpuss
    The main idea behind it is to cut down on the huge amount of lag the server has had recently. If it was limited down to 1 or 2 time join islands it might work out better.

13. LeoSteel

LeoSteel Active Member

I don’t think lag is caused by “abandoned” islands that aren’t loaded in, its mostly active/afk players causing the lag.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AUH20L

AUH20L Member

I have also given this idea a fair amount of consideration. Implementation doesn't look straightforward, either for deleting or moving islands around. However, the fact remains that there are many islands on the server that have had nothing done with them, or have not been changed more than a few blocks. Some of these will be due to players failed attempts to set up alts next to each other by signing up for multiple accounts as quickly as possible (esp. for mapart purposes), and some will just be the result of players giving up.

I've attached a photo of my 8 immediate neighbours islands. They are:
    N - Skittles_007
    NE - CET2009
    E - tjlefeb
    SE - aged
    S - WoodssdooW
    SW - DeeTax
    W - CreamLuck777
    NW - Xurmey

Neighbours.jpg

From the above info, 6 out of those 8 neighbour's islands have not had more than 15min spent on them since their most recent island reset. Simply by combining [time spent on the game], [date of most recent island reset], [time since last visit], and [irl $ spent on the game] should provide sufficient evidence to accurately determine the loss to any player if their island was deleted/repossessed.

What could prove to be a particularly useful feature if introduced, would be an option that players can check if they have created an alt/island that they know they never again intend to use.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Creepingdeath9

Creepingdeath9 Well-Known Member

well writen!
    the midle island is pretty nice due AUH20L

16. UrsusMaiorus

UrsusMaiorus Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Ursusmaiorus
    yes make a lock cimand

17. LeoSteel

LeoSteel Active Member

Whilst a command would be helpful to protect any island you want to keep, that command only helps people here now and in the future, what about people who aren’t here currently but intend on returning, or people taking a break for a while?

18. UrsusMaiorus

UrsusMaiorus Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Ursusmaiorus
    start deleting people hoave have been online since new command and not back for 1 month with no comand

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. AUH20L

AUH20L Member

A lock command was the opposite of what I was suggesting ... I was suggesting a "This island is ok to delete" checkbox.

It's usage may be very limited, but it's implementation would be very easy.

20. AUH20L

AUH20L Member

Incidentally, I returned to play on /Classic after 6 or 7yrs ... all those years ago I had given up after about 1-2hrs trying ... whilst it was nostalgic to see that my island was still there, there was no lava and nothing really worth keeping (even the items accumulated over time were of little value), so I ended up resetting it again anyway.

In contrast, if you were to delete my island in the picture I would be quite upset, and probably not come back to the server, so clearly, I agree with what some of you are saying - deleting cannot be done carelessly.