Block people from your profile

Discussion in 'Forums Suggestions' started by trinity, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Lz

Lz Well-Known Member

you are serious?

2. trinity

trinity selene Discord Moderator Premium

IGN:
    sunflow27
    Easy fix.
    You get a screen like the ban screen saying “This person has blocked you!”

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Tog

Tog atpoaim Discord Moderator Premium Premium Premium Premium

IGN:
    Togpuss
    Can you translate that into English please? :rofl:

I think blocking certain people from viewing your profile instead of locking it from everyone would be a better idea. Effectively island banning someone but on the forums.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  4. Lz

Lz Well-Known Member

I'm confused, you rated both on the post I disagreed on and on my post "agree". ehh?

BennyDonut is basing her argument for this not being implemented on a wish of complete mutual respect amongst everyone, which includes no arguments or harsh disagreements ever happening. That's not what reality is like, and it's also not a reason to not want this implemented. You can't base an argument of off something you want to be true, but isn't

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Rolly

Rolly Senior Member

IGN:
    Rolly__
    I swear there is an “ignore” option on forums. No need for the forums to turn into Instagram

6. trinity

IGN:
    sunflow27
    Let me put it simple then on why I personally want this added.

I have 2 single people who I wish to not view my profile. One isn’t supposed to be interacting witg me and the other I jjst find discomfort when they interact with me or my posts. I want to just have privacy from 2 people without having to follow everyone. If you don’t like that, it’s fine. But there’s a line between wanting and needing. Just because you don’t see the use doesn’t mean it’s unneeded or turning it into Instagram.

7. Boltgreywing

Boltgreywing Member

I see a couple of potential problems with this approach while yes I can understand that sometimes its nice to have some people not be able to see your profile. They are some downsides to that approach but if used correctly in moderation it can work. If everyone starts to block everyone at the drop of a hat, say they don't like wolves, don't like your avatar, said something small and get blocked instantly then that becomes a problem. Since no one can see each others profile then no one will be able to comment on anyone and the site slows to a crawl. Most people have a tendency to block people at the drop of a hat and that is human nature to a tee.

The other problem with this approach is lately there has been a lot more negative emotions as of late and due to the current climate of things in the world, a blocking feature feels like it would be not such a good idea. Having a player unable to see your profile by a blocking method is a bit over the top and kind of borders on the way of paranoia. What a blocking feature was originally designed to do was to prevent a person from posting comments on your profile. Pure and simple. They could see your profile, artwork and stories, but not post directly. Artwork, Story commenting on the other hand was not restricted. Its only much later that it got to this state maybe a few months back.

What you probably want instead of a blocking feature is a profile viewer category instead. It uses some of the steps that you described but doesn't block the user. What features is five different types of viewability, self, friends, watchers, both, and any.
    When viewability is set to self only you are able to see your profile and no one else, friends viewability means only the people who are your friends list can see your profile, watchers viewablity means that only watchers of your profile can see your profile, both means watchers and friends can view your profile, and finally any means anyone can see your profile.

This is a better approach to do things based on what you want. I believe users should be able to communicate with each other directly and that mods should be there to help users dealing with discussions of different viewpoints between users rather then rely on a blocking method. Blocking needs a time limit and an apology section for it to work otherwise people are blocked forever which is not very cool indeed.

I don't support a pure blocking feature, but maybe neutral if time limits and apology section are added. I rather support a viewability slider with the above mentioned features rather than a block feature. It does the same thing more or less with a reduced amount of storage required as opposed to a full blown block sheet for each user.

8. Thinker

Thinker Active Member

Changing to support- and I would like it if they can't see your posts as well

9. trinity

IGN:
    sunflow27
    bumping this.

10. bERYbERRY

bERYbERRY c000000000000000kies Builder Premium

IGN:
    BertBerry
    Support. This could be a nice feature to prevent certain people whom you dont want to lurk around your profile page.

11. Dinglesplat

Dinglesplat Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Dinglesplat
    Support

xtra text

12. Blyx

Blyx Senior Member

IGN:
    Blyx_
    Support, this makes sense - especially if you already have them ignored.

Obviously, staff would be able to bypass this block, otherwise that might make infractions a little difficult.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. LegoCollecter14

LegoCollecter14 Well-Known Member

IGN:
    LegoCollecter14
    Support

Character Count thing, you are bad at math and you should feel bad.

14. WhatsUpDoc

WhatsUpDoc Eh What's Up Doc? Premium

IGN:
    WhatsUpDoc
    support, actually pretty useful tbh if it becomes a thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. No longer on forums

No longer on forums Member

Neutral. The person could easily just log out of their account and view your page easily.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Dinglesplat

Dinglesplat Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Dinglesplat
    Not if you made it by IP or made it so guests are unable to view profiles, but I totally see what you mean

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. No longer on forums

No longer on forums Member

But then people could one: Either Turn on a vpn (I think this is ban evading but I'm not sure) | And Two: Other people in their household could not view your profile pag

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  18. Pillow

Pillow blanky Premium

IGN:
    Pilberry
    Annotation 2020-05-05 105859.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Mai

Mai serendipity Discord Moderator Premium Premium

In my opinion, the way things are now are fine. I've never been fond of staff locking their profiles, and I think the same goes for normal users when it comes to completely banning someone off of their profile. We already have different ways to limit the people who get to view our profiles, but being able to completely ban someone off seems a bit extreme in my opinion and I'm not really a fan of the idea. I feel like it will just complicate the forums even more and is a bit unnecessary. If you don't want someone commenting on your profile, you can delete the comment or simply lock your profile for just the people you follow to see. No support.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Krissy

Krissy hyyh Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

Agreed. I have never been a fan of the idea. Not only does it cause unnecessary drama when people find out they have been blocked (as we have seen with island bans) but there are other ways to block your profile. You have the power to remove comments and you have the power to report those who are harassing you via profile. There are other ways that have worked for 7 years so I don't think changing it now is a priority or necessary.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1