About the Server Rules

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by SuperCoolWimp, Jun 21, 2022.

1. SuperCoolWimp

SuperCoolWimp Active Member

DISCLAIMER!:
    This thread is not me hating/giving hate to the staff team. Every staff member I have been in contact with has been kind and respectful to me, and I believe, for the most part, they enforce the rules well. That being said...

The server rules:
    As they currently stand, the rules are far too vague. I have been warned/punished a total of three times in my three days playing Skyblock in regard to rules that are not stipulated in either the server rules or the code of conduct. This should simply not be able to happen as the rules in question are not covered by the "common sense" rule either.
    One of the aforementioned rules regards messaging every individual on the server to advertise my Island (players without a rank, at least on Skyblock Survival, can use color codes in direct messages but not in public chat) as opposed to advertising in chat once per minute, as is the norm. To me, this was an easy fix as it would grab an individuals attention whilst also giving more time between each message to any one person (on average, an individual would see my message once every seven minutes, whereas people advertising in chat send their advertisement to every player listening to global chat once or sometimes even twice per minute). This does not break any listed rules on either the server rules page, or in the code of conduct, yet when I asked a staff member about it (just to be safe, given the two other mentioned instances of rules not being listed), they said it would be against the rules (specifically, it would be considered "Spam, harassment AND trolling").
    Another instance of me being warned/punished for a rule that didn't (and I think still doesn't) exist was when I was muted for 24 hours for automating chat reactions (this punishment was later removed when I explained to a moderator that what I did was not against the rules, but I was still initially punished for it without warning). This, again, is not listed anywhere and does not fall under the "common sense" rule. Certain hacks are allowed on this server, even automation hacks (Autofish, killaura, etc), and people even use a mod to automatically join the lottery. Even without this module being mentioned anywhere in the rules, even with the precedent being that automation is typically allowed, I was muted straight away.
    The reason I have mentioned the "common sense" rule twice is because it was initially cited to me as the reason for my mute before I explained how that couldn't be the case and was unmuted.
    I should also mention that I was told to discontinue my use of chat reaction automation or I would be punished.

"Stealing" items after winning them in combat:
    After initially joining the server, I saw somebody saying to visit their island to "fist fight". To be blunt, I won the fist fight, and just as this individual was about to die, he tried to equip his god gear (sword, and armor) to not die. This did not work, and his items fell to the ground upon his death. I collected them, of course, and did not return them upon him asking me to. He contacted a Super Moderator (Cyk753), and this Moderator spoke to me about what had happened. After I told her the full story and how there is nothing about this in the rules OR the code of conduct, she still insisted it was wrong to keep them. I asked them to cite the rule that I had broken, but we got nowhere until she eventually just went into vanish mode, opened up my chests, and literally took everything that this guy claimed to have lost (I assume without any evidence). I have since spoken to 5 other staff members, all of whom say that you only need to give back if is established beforehand that everyone is going to give back. I don't understand how such a simple rule is not clearly defined, not only in the public rules list, but amongst the staff team themselves. Again, I mean absolutely no harm or disrespect to the staff team, they are individually very competent and helpful people, but there seems to be a disconnect when it comes to what is and is not punishable.

Conclusion: The takeaway from this post should not be anything negative about any individual staff members, or the staff team as a whole. It should be that the rules, especially when it comes to kind of niche scenarios are very poorly defined. I also believe that warnings should be more prevalent in the punishment system, as most of my punishments have been quite severe off of the bat here. I enjoy playing Skyblock Survival and hope to continue doing so.

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Cookie x 2
    • Agree x 1
  2. Salvation

Salvation Active Member

IGN:
    YoureMySalvation
    Very well written thread, some great points!

3. Calidre

Calidre Experienced Member

IGN:
    Calidre
    The fact that you state so many times these don't fall under the common sense rules yet every single instance should be common sense to anyone who is at the very least somewhat a decent person.

Your first point of messaging individually rather than a group is no different than a door to door salesman, and what most people would agree on is that they're annoying and not the way to promote products. Messaging someone every seven minutes happens very often and is very irritating. The global chat people mostly ignore if it's full of advertisements and /msg is supposed to be used to have conversations away from all the spam, not engage in even more of it.

Using auto chat reactions to win a prize every time should be just something you to know not do. The comparison of hacks using automatic features isn't entirely relevant considering all of the hacks only have personal gain and involve no competition with other players. On the other hand, hacking for the sole purpose of gain and ruining the fun for everyone else is just being an asshat. Joining the lottery also doesn't give anyone a competitive advantage since it's still entirely luck whether you win or not.

What do you mean "of course"? If taking someone's items (I'll add that in itself is against the rules considering it is in fact stealing regardless of the situation) and not giving them back out of courtesy is common sense, no wonder you don't think anything here should be punished.

Specific rules are great for some situations, but if you can't figure out that you shouldn't spam players in private messages with ads, rig a game meant for everyone to enjoy for selfish reasons, and steal another player's items regardless of how it happened and then refuse to return them, that is entirely your problem and no one else's.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. LeoSteel

LeoSteel Active Member

You've made some niche points about the loose nature of rules, I will personally disagree with your decision to PM adverts to people, that can be seen as harassment no matter the frequency, also outside of the rules, if you PM me an advert, I will actively mute/ignore you and not buy anything from you, so common sense dictates, don't annoy the people you are asking to buy/trade/donate to you. That's just my personal opinion, others might agree or disagree.

The response will be, not every rule should need to be written, use your commons sense.

5. SuperCoolWimp

After testing /ignore with my friend and seeing you can still message people that have you ignored, I see how this can be harassment and annoying. I see why this is punishable because you guys pointed it out, but why didn't the staff member I spoke to? It's very simple to tell me how it breaks a rule, but they instead chose not to explain that to me.

Your point here is awful. As explained in my original post, lots of aspects of the game are automated. Killing mobs 24/7 with killaura, Mining stone/cobble 24/7 with nuker/autoclickers, or any other way of obtaining items AFK leads to competition and unfair advantages. Common sense does not tell people this wouldn't be allowed.

Me and the player agreed to 1v1, he initiated it even, if he wanted to do give backs he should of said that BEFORE the fight... Cyk stealing the items from me was 100% abuse, read what other staff members said about this topic. I'm sure Cyk misunderstood the rules, but that doesn't make stealing from me ok...

I agree that not everything should be written in the rules, certain things can be grouped under common sense, but my complaints (besides the message advertisements, which I understand now) do not fall under that category.

No clue why this thread would get locked, in my opinion better rules are necessary.

6. Calidre

IGN:
    Calidre
    The whole point of the Skychat is that it's a game and hacking it using a script to auto type words defeats the entire purpose of it. None of the above automations give players an unfair advantage since you aren't competing against anyone for anything. Skychat is a fast paced game with a reward, there is no reward from using the other hacks since you do them at your own pace whenever you'd like and not against anyone else. There is no rewards or competition for killing the most mobs, or mining the most cobble, etc etc.

She can't steal from you if it didn't belong to you in the first place, it wasn't yours to take. You say he should have specified that you would do "give backs" in the first place if he wanted his items back yet no one also specified that the winner would take the items making your point invalid considering he could say the same about you taking them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Megan

Megan Experienced Member Premium

IGN:
    Meggann
    Hi! You mention some concerns I would love to address.
    I am going to take some time to conduct a response and I will reply when I have a message together.

8. Salvation

Salvation Active Member

IGN:
    YoureMySalvation
    You are simply wrong. All of these given examples for automation typically yield more rewards than winning 2 skychats in a row (selling a couple dubs of stone/cobble for more than 2 grass, selling the gold from your Pigmen farm for more than 2 grass, etc). If you do not have access or simply refuse to use these other forms of automation, you are at a disadvantage when it comes to the economy and your standing on the server, regardless of how you want to put it.
    You do not need to say that the winner takes the items. If you bothered to look at the linked gallery (Imgur: The magic of the Internet) you would see that the general consensus is that you only need to consent to PvP, and then talk about givebacks if you want them. If this rule was clearly stipulated to begin with, there would not be this confusion.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Calidre

IGN:
    Calidre
    It's a game, the point is to have fun the rewards aren't as much of an issue. There's no point in even having it in the first place then if you're allowed to script it with no intention to even play it properly.

The link did not show up on my device I see it now, but if they all stated that the items are allowed to be kept then hey go ahead. It's still my personal opinion you should give them back regardless but I mean if they specified you don't need to then by all means keep them

10. GirlyGirl

GirlyGirl Active Member

There are plenty of improvements required to the rules because they are a mess, and there are many questionable actions and contradictions seen by staff members. But everything you have been punished for is clearly against the rules or code of conduct. If you can’t see it, then expect to be banned often.

Chat is public, messages are private. Messaging everyone privately is pretty much the definition of spam.

Auotmine mines. Kill aura kills. They both mimic something anyone could do normally. Automating chat reaction DOES NOT test your reaction and can’t be done at speed normally.

You’d agreed to a fist fight with no mention of the winner taking the spoils. While it might have been wrong to attempt to gear up to win, you were still not entitled to take his gear.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  11. SuperCoolWimp

I'm glad we can agree the rules need improved, staff punish for different things and give different punishment durations, this is not a way a server should be ran. (Obviously not the staff's fault, the rules are understandable for some things...)

This statement is false, please reread the thread if you need, but I will explain again:
    - Muted for autochat reaction (Unmuted because this is not stated in the rules as not allowed)
    - Told not the message people to advertise (As stated earlier, I understand why this shouldn't be allowed now, and am just concerned as to why the staff member I spoke to couldn't give me as clear a answer as players could...?) *I never did this*
    - Had items stolen by cyk (I've said this multiple times, but want to make it very obvious cyk misunderstood the rules here)
    If you believe any of these are stated in the rules, please reply with the rule number and cite what it says.

This little section of your comment is extremely wrong (maybe accidental?)

Calidre has already said this, and Salvation has already replied with a good response, please read his comment :).

12. GirlyGirl

GirlyGirl Active Member

I’m happy that everything I have said is correct.
    We are permitted 4 accounts online at any one time. Clearly no one can play multiple accounts at once, so the others are to AFK and that is pointless if they are not being productive. So it’s common sense that the use of automine and kill aura 24/7 ( two legally listed hacks) is permitted for any player and being available to any player makes it fair.
    There is a list of approved hacks, automation of reaction responses is not one of them.

13. Magik

Magik Well-Known Member

IGN:
    MagikIsAMush
    I do think that when 2 players enable pvp on their respective island and then decide to fight then it’s fair game to take the items the other person drops. I know someone who lost an elytra to pvp and absolutely no staff member he talked to wanted to do anything about that, which is understandable. So I’ll agree with you on that one. That’s the only point all agree with you here.

14. Awesomolocity

Awesomolocity Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Awesomolocity
    To be completely blunt, if you think you were in the right in any of those circumstances (or that the rules weren't clear somehow) then you might not be a stellar fit for this server.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  15. SuperCoolWimp

You're allowed to disagree with me, thanks for being civil and trying to hear out my points. :)

Please cite the rules I broke for each situation, explain how it breaks that rule (according to the rules, not according to you or what you think it morally right). I understand that you may think I'm a "bad" person like someone who commented earlier, but me matching up to your expectations doesn't really matter... If you can explain how these situations involve breaking the rules I will agree with you, if you can't you agree the rules need a rework.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ca1

Ca1 Senior Member

upload_2022-6-22_18-16-9.png

Mass message is illegal

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. SuperCoolWimp

Good catch, on this point I was wrong, I've stated that earlier in comments. Now it's rather concerning the staff member I spoke to didn't know this was an illegal mod...

This doesn't take away from the thread's main purpose, and it doesn't take away from my other points which aren't in the rules. It's clear that the rules need updated and the staff need to better learn/understand the rules in my opinion.

18. Awesomolocity

IGN:
    Awesomolocity
    Regarding mass message: ca1 covered it above

Regarding automated chat reactions:
    upload_2022-6-23_21-11-2.png

Regarding taking someone's items after you killed them in a PVP setting: upload_2022-6-23_21-12-36.png

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  19. SuperCoolWimp

This has been stated previously, but will be stated again: Many hacks that are legal are used to gain an advantage. I think you're too focused on trying to prove me wrong to realize that on this front the rules are straight up wrong... What's the point of using hacks if not to gain an advantage? Killaura 24/7 to get loot and xp you otherwise wouldn't, Automine stone/trees/cobble to get blocks/resources you wouldn't of otherwise gotten, Automatically enter the lottery to have a chance to win weather you're playing or not, and even spamming chat with advertisements to your shop to gain shoppers you otherwise wouldn't of... All of these situations involve using hacks to gain an advantage and I guarantee their are many others, please think about the rule before citing it as an excuse...

Whenever a player initiates a 1v1 that both sides consent to without asking for givebacks before the fight this moral no longer applies... It's like if I went on skywars, lost a coinflip, and then begged someone to give my money back... Would I get it back? So many loopholes with this one man, but I respect the reach, you went out there for sure.

I don't feel I need to link this again, but it could greatly benefit you, so I will: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

After this message I hope it's clear to you the rules need a rewrite, but I doubt it will be... If you feel you need to continue this conversation please add me on discord: Happyman#2555

I won't be replying to you again on this thread, but feel free to start a conversation with me on disc.

20. Awesomolocity

IGN:
    Awesomolocity
    Again, if it isn't super obvious to you why
    • sending mass messages to players
    • automating a system to help you win a competition
    • taking items that do not belong to you
    are against the rules, then I'm not sure this server is going to be a great fit for you. I think the rules I cited were pretty explicit, especially when you combine it with the "common sense" coverage.

If you can explain how these rules are unclear I will agree with you, if you can't you agree the rules are fine as written.