A Beginners Guide to Terraforming Episode 1: Grass Biomes

Discussion in 'Player Guides' started by Viper, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Viper

Viper Well-Known Member

IGN:
    ItzVxper
    As someone who is quite decent in the art of Terraforming, I am making this guide to those on skyblock that want to terraform but are not as good. Also this is my first proper guide so don't be too harsh.

Terraforming, or “Earth-shaping”, is a process of deliberately altering the environment to suit a specific purpose, or to simply make it beautiful. Terraforming can be used to display a wide variety of environments and a wide variety of themes. In this guide I will show you how to terraform a grass/oak wood biome.

What you will need
    Grass blocks
    Bonemeal
    Spalings (Optional, if you wish to add trees)

Step One: Pick an Area to begin work
    Start with a flat area anywhere on your island. For this guide, I went into a creative flat biome.
    2020-09-12_10.29.08.png
    Step Two: Lay out the first blocks
    Start by placing the first line of blocks. They do not have to be in a straight line, as they will serve as markers for the higher levels of blocks.
    2020-09-12_10.30.20.png
    Step Three: Add the higher levels
    This where terraforming becomes a bit tricky. As a general rule, I make sure that the higher levels are always not matching the level below it. Don't be afraid to be creative here! If necessary on this step, edit the lower levels to make sure they blend well with the upper levels.
    2020-09-12_10.29.08.png
    Step Four: Slowly flatten the hill
    After around 3 - 4 levels, slowly start to flatten the hill by using 2 blocks instead of one for each level. Continue until you are satisfied with a height limit.
    2020-09-12_10.32.29.png
    Step 5: Build the top
    Once you are satisfied with a height limit, build the top of the hill. I don't make the top perpendicular to the other levels to keep to the theme of terraforming and I advise you do the same as well (Apologies if you cannot see the top layer well).
    2020-09-12_10.32.29.png
    Step Six: Start heading back down
    When your top is finished, start heading back down the hill. If you plan on making more hills, you do not have to follow going ALL the way down, maybe more like around 2 - 3 blocks above your island level 2020-09-12_10.33.28.png
    Step Seven: Finish your mountain
    Now begin to head down. Similar to step 3, I make sure no to levels are the same, for the sake of the theme of terraforming.
    2020-09-12_10.32.29.png
    Step Eight: Add Decoration
    This is where the fun part begins! With your bonemeal in hand, go crazy with it on your hill to add grass and flowers. If you wish, you can add custom flowers bonemeal does not have.
    2020-09-12_10.35.49.png
    Optional: Adding trees
    This is not a requirement for all grass biomes, but you wish, you can add trees, either with saplings or hand built if you want custom trees.

And Now You're done!
    Unfortunately, I cannot upload the final image to this guide because of the file limit, but I will be more than happy to show the final image in the comments. thank you for reading my guide on terraforming, and I hope it serves you well in the future when its time to terraform you island.

Once again I apologize if this guide is not very neat as this is my first proper guide. If you would like to see more guides in the future (desert/snow/nether) feel free to to let me know below and I will do my best to show you how to build biomes in minecraft. Once again thank you for reading and have an awesome day!

~Viper

Attached Files:

• Amazing Amazing x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. bERYbERRY

bERYbERRY c000000000000000kies Builder Premium

IGN:
    BertBerry
    U gotta smoothen that smol hill a bit but otherwise it looks great.
    Terraforming is better using voxelsniper if you wanna google them tutorials : )

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Viper

Viper Well-Known Member

IGN:
    ItzVxper
    Thank you ca1beb2k
    I know Bert. Sometimes my terraforming isnt really good, but its not bad either.

• Cookie Cookie x 1
  4. eunice

eunice epiphany Premium

i highkey suck at terraforming so i just randomly place blocks, but this is super cool! thanks for this :))

will be looking out for ep 2

5. iva0o0

iva0o0 Active Member

IGN:
    iva0o0
    i got a huge grass island on classic so heres a few of my own tips to anyone whoever stumbles upon this random comment on a month old post.

the final result is nice. its okay. heres what id do tho:

when you have a two height grass block: dirt block and a grass block above it, its an waste of grass in my eyes. change the one below which is dirt to a stone block and voila you got urself one more dirt.

to add more ''details'' (aka save grass), place random green/lime clay blocks and get more dirt!
    to add more light (aka also save grass again), place a glowstone one height below ur normal grass level and cover it with a green/lime colored glass block.
    buy flowers and grow grass to ease the difference between the clay block and the grass one.

if any of this is confusing feel free to go on my island on /classic and see what i mean.