NA Zeph's Moderator Application

Discussion in 'Accepted Applications' started by Marc, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marc

Marc Senior Member

IGN:
    marcuwu
    Hello there and welcome to my moderator application! I'll quickly introduce myself if we haven't had the pleasure of meeting. I'm Marc, although most of you know me as Zephyr or Zeph for short. I'm currently in grade 10 and 15 years old. Some of my hobbies are cooking and gardening. As for the server, I'm almost always on Skyblock. I mostly play on .net although I do visit .org occasionally to meet up with friends. I have lots of experience with commands, helping people, and just making conversation in general. Thanks for taking the time to read my intro. Now sit back, relax, and enjoy my mod application. (Recommended music: Click me)

Both negative and positive feedback is appreciated. Please make sure to give reasons for your supports, neutrals, and no-supports so I know what to improve on.

What is your in-game name? Zephxo (Previously known as Zephyrxen)

What timezone are you in? Mountain Standard Time (UTC-7)

What country do you live in? Canada

What languages do you speak? English

Do you have 2FA enabled? Yes

Do you have the necessary means of capturing evidence? I have a recording software that allows me to both record my screen and take screenshots. (Nvidia Shadowplay)

Why do you think you should become a mod?
    I want to see this server grow, and I want to grow with it. Below are some traits and qualities I have that are needed to be a moderator.

Committed: I love this server and I'm willing to do everything I can to keep it appropriate for kids as well as fair and fun for everybody. As a moderator I would be active and dedicated to helping the server and its players.
    Kind: If somebody needs help in general or even somebody to talk to I'll be there for them, be it in-game or on the forums. This is important as people tend to flock to moderators for help, I'd be willing to satisfy their needs (within reason of course).
    Attentive:
    I pay close attention to chat and never miss messages or requests. I answer everybody's questions in chat no matter their rank or who they are. I wouldn't miss requests for help, chat offenses, and many other things. It'll also help me to more quickly and accurately realize filter bypasses and offensive messages both in-game and on the forums.

Quick study: I've been a fast learner for as long as I can remember. I'll be able to learn how to handle specific situations and the commands that I need to know easily. By doing so, I'll encourage others to follow the rules and not make the same mistake twice.
    Efficient: One of the things I hate most is wasting time. I'm a very organised person in general and would make sure that players are dealt with and helped thoroughly and quickly. This would allow me to quickly resolve reports, appeals, and disputes in chat.
    Experienced: I've spent lots of time on this server and know above and beyond my way around, and have no problem sharing this knowledge as it was shared to me. I'll be able to share tips, the rules, and show people the basics of the server.
    Comprehensive & Responsive: I can quickly and accurate take in questions and concerns and give out knowledge and answers. For those of you that like numbers, my typing speed is around 90wpm while my reading speed is around 360wpm.

Charismatic: I've been told that I have a way of wording things that can cause others to see from a different point of view or to realize what needs to be done. As a mod, having this trait would assure that the people I deal with would realize what they have done wrong and how to prevent it from happening again in the future. It would also allow me to talk to people that are upset about something that had happened and I would help them to understand that it would be solved eventually.
    Outgoing: I can easily communicate with other people and would have no problem questioning potential offenders, explaining rules, handling requests, and more. When a moderator has good communication skills they can better understand what people think and can more clearly recognize what people are asking?

Candid: I'm honest and straightforward. I won't sugarcoat things and I'm not afraid to be harsh if necessary. During appeals, I'll make sure the offender knows exactly what they did wrong, why it was wrong, and I'm not afraid to call them out for lying or not taking it as seriously as they should.

How long can you be active on the server everyday? I'm typically on from around 18:00-22:00 (MST) on weekdays and at all times of day on the weekends and school holidays. I can also join the server with minechat at any time of day, any day of the week as long as I'm not busy.

How long have you been playing Skyblock? I've been actively playing for over 5 months now.

Have you ever been banned in the past? No

Do you have any past experience as a moderator? I've never been a moderator on an official server but I've played around with administrative commands on a private server before. I'm familiar with most of the moderator commands although I'm sure that I have more to learn. I've organized school events in student council and I regularly volunteer at the library as tech support. I think it's also worth mentioning that I've taken leadership and mini-psychology courses before. These past experiences just show I know how to work with and alongside people, just like I would as a moderator.

Do you meet the requirements for moderator? Yes.
    Minimum post count of 50: []

2FA Enabled: []
    Minimum of 2 weeks on forums: []
    Teamspeak or Skype for offline communication: [] I often use Teamspeak under the name "Marc" and my Skype is marcvermette0.
    Not an alt: [] Although I had used my friends account, Korangar, until I got donor50 to fly nobody other than me has access to my forums, my main (Zephxo), or my alt accounts (18p & Zephxo1). Lately I've been playing more on Zephxo1 as I'm still trying to arrange a rank transfer and it's a higher rank than my main, but it's not originally my account so it's not as trustworthy as my main.

• Support Support x 41
    • No Support No Support x 3
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  2. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Support
    You seem qualified enough
    But what do I know

3. Marc

Marc Senior Member

IGN:
    marcuwu
    you dont sound very confident about that lol

4. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Well it's because I don't go in game
    And don't really pay attention to if someone helps on the forums or not anymore

5. Ca1

Ca1 Senior Member

No support, I see you saying some irrelevant things

6. Myrmidous

Myrmidous Well-Known Member Premium

ReviewsZephyr.jpg
    Suggested listening: Matchbox Twenty - 3am

Hello. I am waffle pudding.

These are life's two finest accomplishments crammed together in an orgy of taste sensation. Wherever you go, whatever you chose to do, you will always know I have already visited and triumphed as only a champion could.

Savor my velvety squares, for I am delicious.

If Shakespeare wrote a play about this I would hire Kristen Stewart to be your female lead.

angrily slams a whiskey shotDo not put negative information in your own applic-

-nevermind! You haven't even started your application yet. This is amazing levels of confidence: I've never seen anyone willing to take a handicap before they apply for a job. Remove this.

+1 for musical recommendations.

+0 for "short and sweet" while writing a decorative preamble to your application. The irony is vicious here and I am loving it like an addict loves methadone.

GameFace.jpg
    #GameFace

Nice to meet you, sir. Your names sound like a drug company crowdsourcing ideas for heart medication.

'MURICA FAIL.

90% of the world has no idea what "MST" is.
    Please provide a UTC offset so those pesky non-Muricans know what timezone you are in. (MST is UTC+7).

This is a bizarrely specific "American" mistake to list your timezone as "MST" as if the rest of the world memorizes American-only acronyms. Australians and U.K. players have their own versions: They like to say something like "EADT" and "GMT", respectively.

THERE IS ONLY LAUGHTER HERE NOW.
    I refuse to edit previous comments. Continuing!​

That's good enough. +1 for Imperialism.

+1 for accidentally giving me a huge basket full of fanfiction ideas. A shadowmaster named "Nvidia"...

GimmeGimme.jpg
    This section is the entire reason I do reviews.

This is the whipped cream on the surprise stripper cake. We all know there is something better coming so why is this here...?

Keep this preamble if you want but we all know it is just filler. Consider tossing out the fluff and getting down to business. Or ignore me, these reviews are pretty worthless.

The other definition of "committed" means "insane".

You really need a lot more here. How are you dedicated? Why is this an important thing for a Moderator? Why would you being insane benefit the server?

Bleeding hearts are nice, but we all really want some jackbooted justice.

Empathy isn't a huge selling point for a job that boils down to "punish idiots for breaking rules". While it is nice that you understand how people feel (aww!) what they really want is for you to solve their problems. Fix that grief. Find those stolen items. Ban that spammer. Etc.

If you still want to go the "passive aggressive" route that is cool. Please explain why this matters to the job. Why is it important for staff members to cry tears of pain when people are cheated? How does this make you the best pick for the job sir?

HaHaNo.jpg
    Typing speed means nothing to this job. Replace with something more important.

Now THIS is a good qualification. Unfortunately it is utterly wasted by not giving any details.

This would make you a good staff member because....?
    Being attentive as a Moderator is important because....?​

You're missing more pieces than Donald Trump's soul. Please fill in some explanations so we at least understand what you are trying to say on your application.

Laughed until I vomited spiders into a bucket of memes.

What a coincidence! I too am a fast learner for as long as I can remember! Learning quickly isn't a bad trait to have but you need to showcase it a little better in a way that points toward the job position you're applying for.

Example:
    "I am a quick learner. When I take a new position I look for the best way to handle the responsibility and get the job done. This is extremely important because adopting the values of the staff leads to effectively promoting the server, the staff team and myself in the best way possible."​

Slightly brown-nosing there but you get the idea.

AngryFace.jpg

I facepalmed so hard I lost childhood memories. This qualification literally gave me a free pass to Brain Trauma Town, please take a few moments and rephrase all of this.

1. There is no "innocent until proven guilty". This isn't CSI. They are guilty, you are guilty, I am guilty.
    2. You are neutral but have people you dislike?? DEAR GOD THE CONTRADICTIONS.
    3. [Knowing someone] won't have an affect on your decisions? The Supreme Court disagrees with that idea.​

Rewrite this or remove it. I'm laughing and I cannot stop.

+1, efficiency is an excellent trait. Please add detail on why this matters as a Moderator.

TrollCaptain.jpg
    How does this benefit a staff member, exactly? Please explain.

1. Grab a RL friend.
    2. Sit them down.
    3. Read this section out loud.
    4. Wake up in hospital recovering from a dislocated jaw.
    I cannot even suggest an improvement, sir: This entire section made me want to hire someone to beat the memory of your application out of my skull with a metal bat. Please rephrase this in a way that makes sense or remove it completely and pray Google didn't archive the post.

TrollThinking.jpg
    Online.
    Physically confident..?
    Online??
    Physically confident...?​

Rewrite this until it sounds like something that would make you a good staff member. Highlight your amazing social skills and explain why connecting with others means you can successfully ban, kick and enforce server rules.

"I consider peoples [sic] emotions before I speak".
    "I won't sugarcoat things and I'm not afraid to be harsh[...]"
    #ImDead

Fix this, you are contradicting yourself in literal back to back sentences Mr. Zeph. Pick a side and stick with it, don't ride the fence until you get taint splinters.

-1 for taking a shot at your future teammates. Remove this; the team you are trying to join is doing the best they can and don't need random people pointing out when they struggle to cover every minute of the day.

Who knows? If you're selected to be a staff member they might remember you saying they weren't doing a good job.

Remove anything that draws attention to bad things about you. Are you trying to get hired or not? This is not the time to be humble, ugly duckling.

"No". The only response here is "NO". Why give this extra information?

AngryFace.jpg
    Wasted opportunity.

Have you ever run a debate club? Supervised a field trip? Worked a part time job? Organized a school event? Anything at all where you handled a large group of people?

Experience is the #1 thing that gets anyone hired for a job. If you have any history getting a group of people to work together please list that here. Previous experience beats damn near anything else on a job application, you are missing a huge opportunity by not paying more attention to this bit.

Support Status: Probably OK?
    (Could have done a lot more with this application.)​

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  7. Marc

Marc Senior Member

IGN:
    marcuwu
    this is very vague, if you could expand on this that would be great.
    xo

8. Ca1

Ca1 Senior Member

How am I to expand on that?

9. Marc

Marc Senior Member

IGN:
    marcuwu
    evidence, examples, anything.

10. Ca1

Ca1 Senior Member

Okay let me find some

11. Marc

Marc Senior Member

IGN:
    marcuwu
    thank you

12. lolbrother40987

lolbrother40987 Member

suPORRT i think yoU'Re qualIFED

13. Marc

Marc Senior Member

IGN:
    marcuwu

14. Cheesy

Cheesy Senior Member

NOOOOO I wasn't the first to post here!!!!!

Support instantly

15. Marc

Marc Senior Member

IGN:
    marcuwu
    thanks, CARSON. :t

16. Cheesy

Cheesy Senior Member

You're welcome, MARC

Is that French btw?

17. Marc

Marc Senior Member

IGN:
    marcuwu
    yeah but im not french and neither are my parents lol. lets keep this on topic. c:

edit: you were my 666th positive

18. Cheesy

Cheesy Senior Member

Lame

19. Sarge

Sarge Experienced Member

You are a fun person to be around! I enjoy talking to you in ts and hanging out. You just have a few things you need to work on:
    -Laziness: you tend to commit to things and then don't commit to them for a while, just don't commit to so many things and actually commit to the things you do.
    -Help: try helping players about more by participating in global chat more and by messaging them in game.

For now, partial support.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  20. Marc

Marc Senior Member

IGN:
    marcuwu
    will do! thanks louie. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.