Ultimate Mod Application Guide: Writing a good app

Discussion in 'Player Guides' started by Krissy, Mar 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krissy

Krissy f̺͆o̺͆r̺͆g̺͆m̺͆i̺͆n̺͆ Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

This may have been written before. But I wanted to share my wisdom on the matter. This may or may not work to get you promoted as it is up to your supporters and your conduct in game. These are just tips of what I would think is a good mod app. This is not designed to advertise apps either.

People tend to think mod apps are all template and they don't really expand on the facts. In many ways people tend to not write well, enough or take enough time and effort in their app to get promoted. In Fact some applications I have seen use one or half sentence answers to the biggest and most important questions: Experience ad why you would make a good mod. So I am writing this to help you make the most out of your mod app, and hopefully make life easier for the poor guys who have to read through it :)
    here is my mod app in case you feel like looking: krissy_punk's Mod application [AUS] Shortened | Skyblock Forums (I was promoted 3 days after writing this in case you are wondering)

The Template
    The template: The following is the base template for mod applications
    Your in-game name:
    Which timezone are you in?
    Which languages do you speak?
    Have you ever been banned? (if yes, why?)
    Why do you think you should be a mod?
    How long can you be active on the server every day?
    Do you have any past experience as a moderator?

I will be demonstrating some tips using this template. The whole idea of using the template is so the basic and most important information is covered. Then, you have the creative freedom to make your app your own. Personalize it with added information, make a small introduction. Below i will be constructing a sample application. and adding information to it that will guide you.

The Sample Application

Hi my name is xxsophie31xx and I am a high school student currently in grade 10. My favourite thing to do is eat and go on minecraft. I love dogs, video games, fashion and captain america :heart:
    I have been part of the server for months and I feel like a i can give back to the community by becoming a moderator

Things to note:
    • This is optional but adding a little bit about yourself at the start is a good indicator of personality. Making your mod app special by adding an introduction brings the focus on you. Being a mod island all about personality but as you can see, its a more friendly way of starting the application.
    • Using the full term "Moderator" is designed to show that you are not too lazy to use shortened form words, and creates a professional start.
    In game name: xxsophie31xx
    Things to note:
    • The title is bolded. To distinguish your own writing from the template its best to use bolded headings. Also you can also use the next font size up or underline. As long as the title stands out, then the information that follows will be read easier.
    Which timezone are you in: +8 Western Australia
    Which languages do you speak: English and can understand Indonesian.
    Have you ever been banned? (if yes, why?): I have never been banned on this server
    Things to note:
    • Be honest about your bans. It is possible for the staff to find out if you have been banned and why due to logs they have made of banned players. If you lie in your application then you will not get promoted. It shows dishonesty and shows you cannot be trusted. This also applies to the next section
    Why I will make a great mod:
    I think I should be a Mod because I am an organized, mature, and helpful. Being a Mod to me doesn't just mean to remind people to not trade illegal items and such (brandonMC2001). I can relate to people who are feeling down or need someone to Skype or just talk to for fun. Another example is I do not judge others. (SwimHornet)
    I know you can report on the forums but by then they have done the trade or griefed the island or spammed other servers IP in chat, so being a mod would let me immediately kick or mute or even the ban the person misbehaving before it gets out of hand. (JustBacon).
    I will continue to hold my reputation in high regard, and do as much as I can to remain a likeable face while not putting myself on a pedestal. (ipodcourt12).
    The driving motivator behind this application is the fact that - during my peak hours online - there seems to be a gap in the availability of the moderating team (Artificiality)
    All in all I feel I can be a great moderator because I am active, hard working, not afraid to come online and do the work it will take me to become a moderator.

Please note:
    • While I have for the purpose of this sample application used snippets of others mod apps, you may not copy other peoples work. To show that you are able to do the work, you must write your own.
    • Always make sure you use full sentences, correct spelling, and try and make sure your ideas flow. Its hard to read an application that does not seem to flow and is a cluster of disorganized ideas. If you need to, using bullet points can help sort out your ideas and improve format. Also starting new ideas or topics on different lines can hep readability.
    • I did not have the time to ask you if you minded me using a bit of your mod app as an example. I tagged you so if you disagree with this, I will remove it. However I only chose some of the best examples i could find an have credited you fully.
    Key Traits and Skills:
    • Observant. I am always on the look out for people who are doing the wrong thing, but also looking out for those who need help.
    • Honesty:If I make a mistake, I will not blame others, and i dont lie. I even give back things people have dropped, even if they do not ask. I can also be honest with myself, and if I do something then reflect back and I did not agree, then I will rectify it.
    • Patience: I have been told many times I deal with difficult people without sounding annoyed or angry quickly. It takes a while for someone to anger me and while ome mods get annoyed and show it, I do not openly show annoyance.
    • Reliable: The biggest reason why I should be a mod is I am reliable, in both my nature, and hardware wise as well. People will be able to rely on me and I will never disappoint people who look to me for help (and if they feel disappointed its because i physically would not have been able to do something due to insufficient permissions etc).
    (Taken from my own application)
    Things to note:
    • Listing traits is easy to do. Going on to explain them in detail and how they will influence your moderating is going a step further and really help the promoters see what kind of person you are, then compare that to the support.
    • Dont be afraid to bold the important words and phrases in paragraphs, just dont over use the bold.
    • See how this application became longer just by adding traits? Although its not about length, you have added more detail. Detail is key, especially because the most detailed, the more effort, and the more effort you put in, it reflects on you as a person.
    • You will need to add more traits and skills.
    How long can you be active on the server every day?
    I attend school and that means between the times of 7am-3pm I will not be active.
    Monday: 2-5 hours
    Tuesday: 2-5 hours
    Wednesday: 2-5 hours
    Thursday: 2-5 hours
    Friday: 2-5 hours
    Weekend: 6 hours +
    Things to note:
    • Using a timeline type layout is much more easier than one statement saying 1-2 hours everyday. Because each day is always going to be different. You may have sport, a club, a life ;) . Laying out times is much easier.
    • If you cannot be active DO NOT LIE! The last thing people want is a moderator getting chosen who lied about activity and will end up getting lazy and becoming inactive.
    Do you have any past experience as a moderator: I have had no experience as moderator on any server. However I am familiar with the essentials plugin and the log block plugin. I am willing to learn additional commands and work hard.

Things to note:
    • Again, don't lie. If you have not had any mod experience, you should be honest. Don't put one word answers either. telling lies will only show if you get picked and you cant do the things you said in the app. You are only cheating yourself.
    • If you do have experience, be as detailed as you can, and include what you had to do in your role. Some servers expect different things from their moderators so its wise to include duties.

Now here is a summary and tips for a good mod app:
    • Do not lie: Honesty is key
    • Always bold, underline or increase the size of the font for headings
    • Try not to use too many abbreviations, spelling out the words fully looks professional
    • List traits: explain and link them to why you would be a good mod
    • Organize your thoughts and ideas, use new lines to being new ideas. Dont be afraid to use bullet points.
    • Bold important words in sentences: dont over do it
    • Keep the format neat and consistent
    • Treat this application as it you as writing a resume or CV for a job. Keep it easy to read and professional.
    • Use good spelling and grammar
    • Do not use the colour red and reduce the use of the colour green (for the colourblind)
    • Fit your application to its audience. Most of the community is younger players so use language appropriate *edit cyp doesnt mind reading a longer application, but make it easy to read.
    • Be respectful to others in your app. Do not use offensive language, stereotypes, racist remarks or try and insinuate that mods are not doing their job
    • Be detailed. You dont, however need a long app to get accepted. Quality over Quantity (or detail over length)
    • Add your own information. Dont be scared to add testimonials, screenshots, pictures and quotes within reason. Make your app your own. It shows creativity and you thinking outside the box.
    • Most of all, have fun writing it. Because the more enjoyment you have writing it, the more you will be free to be as creative as you need.
    • Polls are good and bad in a way. Because while having a lot of people vote is good, its the lazy way. Written support would hold more bearing. The poll is a start to indicate what people think, and may guide the admins to look at the application, however. It is up to you if you include a poll.
    After its posted and you start getting support

Here are some tips for when you finished posting the application and start getting support
    • Do not bump excessively Any more than 2 posts in a row from you is not going to be ideal and it does get annoying. Just because your app is on the second page, doesnt mean it wont be read. If people see you do good in game they will search out your application.
    • Try to not say thank-you after every post. It will be harder to see real feedback if every second post is you. I usually give people a like now to show i'm appreciative.
    • If you get advice from another player, take it. Because they know what they are saying most of the time. No matter if the application is your own, there's always room for improvement within reason.
    • Dont get defensive and fight back if someone does not support you. private message the person and ask for feedback if they didnt give any. Remember someone not believing you would make a good mod is usually not because they dislike you, but you may have not shown you are ready to undertake the role, so dont be offended. Just prove to them they are wrong.
    • Remain polite and respectful at all times.
    Good luck in your quest to become a moderator :)
    peace
    krissy

• Useful x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
  2. SwagMaster3434

SwagMaster3434 Member

Well it looks like you spent sometime doing this.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Pink

Pink Member

You forgot "#SchoolSuks". :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
  4. SwagMaster3434

SwagMaster3434 Member

5. Krissy

Krissy f̺͆o̺͆r̺͆g̺͆m̺͆i̺͆n̺͆ Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

Oh right :p note the past tense: school sucked :3

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pink

Pink Member

Good :)

7. AmazingGraceGirl

AmazingGraceGirl Senior Member

IGN:
    AmazingGraceGirl
    Also put your heart and soul, and personalty into your app, don't try to be like other people, Be yourself.. and be real don't try to overact :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Snowboardking454

Snowboardking454 Guest

I have been mod on multiple servers so i wanna add some things

- Respect all players and treat them fairly
    - Do NOT abuse powers that will give you a perm ban an demotion
    - Make sure to respond to whatever you can
    - Finial thing if your getting spammed DEAL WITH IT

I hope dat helped ;)

9. Krissy

Edited the post, added like to mine in case you would like to look

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I'll abuse whatever commands I want, whose gonna stop me? Cypriot and I are bros, yo'

• Funny Funny x 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.