Skyblock The Great Grass Depression

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by 1_sis_1, May 12, 2024.

1. Imfe

Imfe Active Member

IGN:
    Imfe
    Trading happens by word of mouth, so if one person says a DP head is worth 1.5 dc's... Everyone kinda goes with that lmao.

2. GAMER1232012

GAMER1232012 Well-Known Member

Wait guys is it xenophobic to saddle wandering traders with all the fault of this 'depression'? Just saying we shouldn't jump straight to blaming it all on immigrants and nomadic llama-jockeys selling strange music and suspicious scrap metal for (admittedly) obnoxiously high prices.

upload_2024-5-14_0-22-53.png
    Angry unemployed locals chase migrant out of town (1929, uncolorized)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: May 14, 2024
  3. BostonNerdism

BostonNerdism Well-Known Member Premium

IGN:
    BostonNerdism
    anybody that has public farms aren't helping lol , anything that u hand out for free doesn't help the economy

in other words

"don't complain about the value of grass if your just gonna give stuff away for free"

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. GAMER1232012

I see your point, but I would wager that items people get from public mobfarms have little economic impact(with the sole exception of prismarine). . After I'm done with my irl thesis, I'd love to do an in-depth analysis of the percentage breakdown of industries that contribute to Skyblock's economy.

As far as I can see right now, most public mobfarms are either pigman farms or skeleton farms. With pigman farms, even if someone is sitting there afking all day at a public grinder, they'd be wildly inefficient since their inventories would fill up quickly and they would have to check in multiple times an hour to prevent this. Math(let me know if this is wrong): Spawners spawn mobs in groups of 4, with one spawning event every 10 to 39.95 seconds. We'll say 4 mobs spawn every 20 seconds(with a single spawner). An hour has 3600 seconds, so 180 spawning events will occur(with some variation). Assuming your looting III blade gives you 4 nuggets per kill(putting the max # of nuggets here since we're being stingy and only putting one spawner in our hypothetical grinder), you'd get 2880, which is more than an inventory an hour. So unless you're checking it more than once an hour, which is unlikely if you have work or school, you're not even getting an inventory's worth an hour. Converted into blocks, this would be 28.4 goldblock, which is between 0.33 and 0.63 grass an HOUR. We have maybe 75 players on at once atm; let's be very optimistic and assume that 1/3 of them patronize public grinders rather than using their own setups. So, 25 people afking for an hour combined will make a grand total of 15.75 grass max IF they check back to clear their inventory, and 8.25 grass minimum. In the grand scheme of things, given that you get 4-7 grass every day from just voting and /daily, this is mathematically insignificant.

As for skeleton farms, they mainly drop bones, which are also incredibly cheap(@qwinoa sells for 1536 per grass). Granted, this is about 1.5 grass an hour, but bones are not widely used for anything other than treefarming, which is mainly done by new players for wood. Considering that the vast majority of these players are boning and chopping by hand, just a single grass's worth of bones would take care of their needs until they're ready to move up in the world; at that point, they would no longer require the use of such public grinders. Industrial-scale treefarmers may require more bones, but they would probably buy in bulk or grind it themselves, neither of which interact with public mob farms.

TLDR: Based on a quick estimate accounting for looting III, spawner output/second, item price and the logistics of afk-farming without a hopper collection system(which you wouldn't be able to access at a public farm), economic impact of public mobfarms is likely significantly below 16 grass per hour, and is negligible in the face of voteparty alone.

Thus, I think it is a bit unfair to assign any blame to people with public farms; to use a visual analogy, this would be like blaming someone who was peeing into an olympic size swimming pool for drowning someone. Technically, their piss(is this word allowed?) volume DID contribute to the drowning, but it's small enough that the drowning would have occurred regardless.

• Amazing Amazing x 1
  5. KhalDrogo

KhalDrogo Experienced Member

IGN:
    Drogo
    Meteor client can be set to turf out any unwanted drops and auto-craft gold ingots and blocks.
    A player could AFK for quite a while and come back to an inventory of gold blocks.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. emil733

emil733 Member

IGN:
    emil733
    yeah. prices are dropping = more purchasing power = grass is worth more

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. KhalDrogo

KhalDrogo Experienced Member

IGN:
    Drogo
    So I should be selling my grass for more then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GAMER1232012

Thanks for the tip! I guess its time to invest in a new client then :)

9. masterCircle

masterCircle Active Member

Im investing in dead bushes now

10. emil733

emil733 Member

IGN:
    emil733
    Yeah you could. I'm not sure what your rate is, but people are selling GCs for less than 64:1 quite often.

11. MorayEel

MorayEel Active Member Discord Moderator Premium

IGN:
    MorayEel
    Introducing taxes to /economy revolutionized the entire server. Each tax period we are graced with a moment of silence, where everything comes to a standstill. Some see this as "lag", I see it as institutionalized reverence toward The Network and everything it has provided. This moment of peace cannot be replicated in the modern world. I earnestly believe that if The Tax Update was added to /skyblock, we would witness a surge in economic involvement, spirituality, and mental fortitude. I pray that this depreciation in grass supply is succored, and that our fields are blessed with bounteous harvests.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Yelah

Yelah Member

IGN:
    Yelah070
    If there were to be a shift in the economy and more grass was added in, it would just lead to inflation. This is really just how economic systems operate, and the value of grass would continue to drop the more it gets created. Whereas now grass is seen as quite valuable, besides to those who already have their own systems in place to generate good revenue, but to the other 75% of the server slight price differences can actually be extremely impactful. I do agree that the trader can potentially be adding to this problem, but then again is it really being that big of a make or break difference..? Netherite is pretty near useless since this server is not big on PVP so to make it so expensive just to be flashy with seems irrelevant to the mass public besides those who use it to collect for it being “rare”. Personally I believe that netherite should have never been disabled throughout the nether due to there not being any distinct reasons that this would make sense. The only possibility would be to try and keep netherite more valuable than diamonds since those and almost any other ore, with the exception of quartz, are unobtainable through farming. Even this idea though could be easily solved by adding in a drop rate change similar to quartz.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. emil733

emil733 Member

IGN:
    emil733
    That is correct, but since a lot of grass got deleted, we are currently having a de-inflation. That means prices are dropping and grass becomes more valueable. The only way to stop this is by generating more grass. It’s like everybody would withdraw a few thousand bucks and throw them in the trash. The US dollar would gain in value.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 15, 2024
  14. GrimsbyYT

GrimsbyYT Member

IGN:
    GrimsbyYT
    Should have atleast gave me some...

15. Zuzu

Zuzu Member

IGN:
    zuzusmith
    I have had some fun thoughts on ways to reintroduce grass to the game. If any of them sound good, I'll make a proper suggestion!

- High reward/high risk: player says a number in chat (probably with a limit, e.g., 320). Mod throws a fair coin - heads you get that amount of grass, tails you are banned for that number of days.
    - Communist wandering trader: any grass earned as income by the trader is re-distributed somehow, e.g., at the next vote party.
    - Challenge game: varying quick challenges pop up on screen infrequently with a time limit to do them, e.g., 2 mins to kill a zombie, 1 min to harvest wheat. This would reward active players as you wouldn't be able to earn it while afk. You earn 1-5 grass depending on difficulty.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Amazing Amazing x 1
  16. Imfe

Imfe Active Member

IGN:
    Imfe
    So if a greenie says the number 250 in chat can just get banned for 250 days.... or does a Mod actually have to be on for this to happen im confused...

17. Zuzu

Zuzu Member

IGN:
    zuzusmith
    I think you would need a mod on for this to work, and you would need to clearly say that you wanted to play whatever the game name is, then give your number (otherwise you could make a mistake while updating a shop and be banned for months!)

18. 1_sis_1

1_sis_1 Active Member

IGN:
    1_Sis_1
    This one could be fun!

19. emil733

emil733 Member

IGN:
    emil733
    The challenge game actually sounds good.

20. Yelah

Yelah Member

IGN:
    Yelah070
    This redistribution idea is really awesome. If it’s possible to do, another idea for this could be the grass getting added into the /raffle pools. Doing this could potentially be easier to keep track or monitor.

• Like Like x 1