Stone Generators

Discussion in 'Player Guides' started by RedstoneTrails, Apr 6, 2019.

1. RedstoneTrails

RedstoneTrails Moderator Moderator

IGN:
    RedstoneTrails
    Basic Generator
    2019-04-06_12.28.33.png
    Here's a nice little tutorial on setting up one person and two person generator: READ! - Kaylee's guide to a successful starter skyblock! | Skyblock Forums

Quick Tip: Any time a generator tutorial involving pistons uses obsidian, you can replace obsidian with a furnace. Both obsidian, as well as furnaces, cannot be pushed by pistons. Many builds use obsidian because it's easier to work with and see, but can be expensive for use on Skyblock. Furnaces are always my go-to replacement, as they're very cheap to make.

Simple Piston Generator
    2019-04-06_12.32.17.png
    Once you have some grass to buy pistons and redstone, I would suggest building a simple piston generator. Piston generators allow you to mine stone, which breaks faster than cobblestone, and lets you avoid losing any of the drops to lava. You can see an example of the above simple generator, as well as the simple piston generator by going to /warp info.

Mid-Tier Stone Generator
    2019-04-06_12.54.27.png
    I'd say this mid-tier design is the one I've seen most frequently at other players' islands. This generator requires more lava sources, which means purchasing more obsidian. This generator also requires a decent number more of pistons, which can also get expensive early on. A tutorial can be found here:
    He doesn't talk or explain anything, so it can be a bit boring to watch. But the video is quick and to the point, without wasting time advertising his channel or server. This design can also be doubled, where you have the same design on the bottom, except pushing upwards. This will allow you to double your stone generation speeds.

High-Tier Stone Generator
    2019-04-06_12.51.19.png
    This design is very popular among bigger players, and you can find this build on many people's islands. There are multiple variations of this design that you can use, but the most common design tutorial can be found here:
    This design pumps out massive amounts of stone and ore, and rarely breaks (has water turn into cobblestone). There are a bunch of different ways to collect and store stone that you get from this method, so I would suggest playing around with different hopper/water arrays to find one that works best with you.

• Useful Useful x 3
  2. lowfps10

lowfps10 Active Member

IGN:
    lowfps10
    Isn't this the very design you said created lots of lag?

3. RedstoneTrails

IGN:
    RedstoneTrails
    Yes, but it seems insignificant to TPS. Just causes lag for those in direct area.

Tried an experiment where I turned on 5 of those on different islands all at the same time, all of their chunks loaded, and saw no significant dip in TPS

4. Marcy

Marcy Apostlé of Falcons Premium

IGN:
    Marcawn
    What if over 15+ people use this stone generator method?

5. RedstoneTrails

IGN:
    RedstoneTrails
    I really don't believe the stone generator is the issue. Doing further research into Paper and overall Minecraft performance, hoppers do a significant bit more damage to TPS than random tick observers.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

6. Marcy

Marcy Apostlé of Falcons Premium

IGN:
    Marcawn
    Oh, Stone generators might not be the issue, maybe grinders.

7. fran

fran pensive Premium

IGN:
    franfiction
    Thank you for this! I, a redstone noob, might try to build one