Skyblock Shulker Box Opening

Discussion in 'Server Gameplay Suggestions' started by FalcoFalcon, Mar 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. FalcoFalcon

FalcoFalcon Well-Known Member

IGN:
    FalcoFalcon
    I have recently bought a shulker box, with the idea that I could easily transport multiple items past many islands. Unfortunately, I realized that shulker boxes can not be placed on other people's islands...

So, my suggestion is: If you hover over a shulker box that is in your inventory it opens a menu with all the items in the box at that moment. Then you can put stuff in and also take stuff out.

This would make inventory management much easier, and would also make transporting grass much more efficient.

• No Support No Support x 2
    • Neutral Neutral x 1
  2. Blyx

Blyx Senior Member

IGN:
    Blyx_
    I’m a little confused as to why you would need to organise your inventory over a random island.

Surely it’s not a problem as it is currently - /ec or /enderchest already exists (admittedly for donors) which achieves the same result.

If you’re at an island which needs you to be able to access items from your shulker, then you could ask, or might already be trusted to place and destroy blocks.

Alternatively, you can warp back to your island, reorganise your inventory, then revisit the island you were on by using the /visit [player] command.

For those reasons, neutral.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Pillow

Pillow blanky Premium

IGN:
    Pilberry
    No support.

I see why you want this, because you store your grass in them. But it's very very hard to make that into a plugin as far as I know (RedstoneTrails how hard is it?).

4. FalcoFalcon

IGN:
    FalcoFalcon
    I understand your points, but almost nobody has /ec. It is also important for players to have enough inventory space, which is greatly helped by this idea.

5. FalcoFalcon

IGN:
    FalcoFalcon
    I have personally never made a plugin, so would never know. Thanks for the info.

6. PCcoolguy100

PCcoolguy100 Senior Member

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100
    oooh man, could you think of the dupes that could come out of it?

Yeah no support; I'm sure a plugin exists for this but then shulker boxes wouldn't be shulker boxes... if you know what I mean. Shulker boxes will become portable echests, which already exists (/ec for donor50+... I think?).

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tog

Tog atpoaim Discord Moderator Premium Premium Premium Premium

IGN:
    Togpuss
    Yeah, I’m also agreeing with Blyx here regarding why you would need to arrange your inventory over a random island. The only conclusion I can come to is if you are helping someone build something and your materials aren’t in your shulkers. Although if you were building something for someone, you would be given trust and be able to place down your shoulders anyway.

As you said here, it would defeat the point of enderchests of which in my opinion is an important factor of buying a rank in the first place.

Anywho, for the reasons stated by me, and everyone else that has posted so far, I won’t be supporting this suggestion. If you are so desperate for this to be added, I’m sure you could find a mod for it or even develop your own mod by watching various YouTube tutorial videos or joining an online course.

8. RedstoneTrails

RedstoneTrails Moderator Moderator

IGN:
    RedstoneTrails
    Making a basic plugin that does that at a fundamental level would be fairly straightforward. Two bigger issues come out of it, though:
    1. Performance and usability. If it were just simply hovering over shulker boxes that opened it, like the post suggests, players would find it very difficult to navigate their inventory. When players move islands, they tend to pack everything up in shulkers and move with an inventory full of shulkers. Opening your inventory would almost always result in you accidentally opening at least one shulker. If we added another step, like right clicking the shulker to open it, it'd open the door for more performance issues. At a base level, the plugin would need to check for anytime a player right clicks in an inventory. It'd need to check if the items clicked is a shulker. If it is a shulker, it'd need to retrieve the inventory data of the shulker from the server then return that to the player in the form of a shulker UI. This whole process could get resource intensive very quickly, and would be difficult to implement in a way which does not affect server performance.
    2. Duping and glitches. As PCcoolguy100 (aka phr33z) mentioned, someone would inevitably find a way to exploit this. Just off the top of my head, I could see players finding ways to open the shulker in their inventory while simultaneously placing it or tossing it to another player. This could de-sync the inventories (if proper precautions weren't taken), and players could take items out of the shulker in their inventory without the placed shulker losing any of its contents. Fighting this would mean placing in additional blocks to trace the open inventory back to the shulker that was originally opened, and maintaining the inventory of the UI you're viewing along with the placed/given shulker. Doing so would then go back to point one, hurting server performance keeping track of multiple instances of the same shulkers.
    Aside from personal enderchests, something you may be interested in is Brake's suggestion of personal vaults. This would help with your issues in a much less game breaking way.

For my personal response to your situation, I'd just settle with taking the multiple trips back home between shopping at various islands. It generally doesn't take too long to drop off items you purchased and pick up more grass. Gaining access to /ec also helps speed up the process of personal travel with large quantities of items.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. FalcoFalcon

IGN:
    FalcoFalcon
    Thanks for all the advice. I now see this was not the best idea...

10. RedstoneTrails

IGN:
    RedstoneTrails
    I still really liked the idea :D It's just not the best in practice.

Plus, throwing out ideas helps spark new ideas, whether they be from you, or someone who read your post and got inspired from it ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. bERYbERRY

bERYbERRY c000000000000000kies Builder Premium

IGN:
    BertBerry
    No support. You can just go back to your island, place the shulker and open it instead of what you've suggested cause of you being lazy. Plus - as redstone said - it can open new ways to duplicate items and therefore it might create more problems than it actually will solve.

12. PCcoolguy100

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100
    as I said* and Redstone recounted*

but yeah close enough

13. Pillow

Pillow blanky Premium

IGN:
    Pilberry
    I think I can make a Proof-of-concept with 1.15.2 commands as it has /execute at. I'll edit it in later.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  14. FalcoFalcon

IGN:
    FalcoFalcon
    Okay, Thanks!

15. PCcoolguy100

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100
    Server’s on 1.12.2 tho :(

16. Pillow

Pillow blanky Premium

IGN:
    Pilberry
    But plugins are more advanced than commands it'd be easy enough to turn it into a plugin. (RedstoneTrails Your opinion?)

17. RedstoneTrails

IGN:
    RedstoneTrails
    It'd be possible to do in 1.12.2, but that's not really the issue. The issue is more with the concept in general, as I had mentioned in my previous post in this thread.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Pillow

Pillow blanky Premium

IGN:
    Pilberry
    I was asking how hard is it to turn commands into plugins.

19. RedstoneTrails

IGN:
    RedstoneTrails
    Ahh I gotcha. Commands and plugins are very different. Commands would be somewhat like sudo-code, giving us insight into potential logic and methods we could use when writing the plugin. There isn't any direct way to go from commands to plugins, though, especially not with 1.15.2 commands. Commands can be run from within the plugin, but we're limited to 1.12.2 commands.

20. Pillow

Pillow blanky Premium

IGN:
    Pilberry
    Yes but the thing is I'm not able to do /execute at @p in 1.12.2. There's probably a way to but I can't do it. So I was wonder if there's a way to make a plugin that either adds it or replicates it.