Should you be kicked for saying this word?

Discussion in 'Discussions Archive' started by Crimsonwrath, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Crimsonwrath

Crimsonwrath Well-Known Member

Warning: Slight cursing if you're dumb enough to consider it that

I'm not even going to bother putting this word in a spoiler because I really don't think it needs to be. On .net today I was kicked and muted by AngryGinger for saying the abbreviation "fgt". I was mod on .org for 3 years and I never once kicked, was told to kick, saw someone kick a player for this. I see players say fck all the time and they don't get kicked for it, and I got kicked for this. When I actively played .org I used fgt all the time to joke around with people without seeming serious or offending someone, because it is a commonly used thing to use as a joke. I've asked other mods if players should be kicked for this, and they said no and just laughed at it. If it were actually serious, it would be added to the filter.

I have known many people who used this term, and I literally just got off .org where I saw a mod say it, and .net and .org have the same rules. Personally I think this is extremely unreasonable, and I want to see what other people thing on it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  2. Teeler

Teeler i am kenough

IGN:
    TeelerSwift69
    "fgt" is used to bypass one of the "F Word"s normally. I've seen most people call each other/their friends "fgt" as a joke. Personally I'm fine with it as long as it isn't abused.

3. Crystal

Crystal Well-Known Member

It is considered a derogatory slang word for an offensive term. Therefore I would believe it's kick-able.

4. Krissy

Krissy f̺͆o̺͆r̺͆g̺͆m̺͆i̺͆n̺͆ Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

I dont agree with calling out threads but anyway here is my honest view.
    Kicking for that word is reasonable to me if it is directed at someone in an abusive manner. This would mean calling a random player a "fgt" and the intent is to be cruel.
    If you are in chat and you randomly say "fgt" it really means nothing.
    The same goes for fck and other bypasses.
    Of course if people overuse these terms it is also acceptable to kick.
    In this instance the mod had told you not to use it therefore you should have listened because it was an acceptable reason to kick.

5. Crimsonwrath

I didn't even get warned, I just got kicked.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  6. Krissy

Krissy f̺͆o̺͆r̺͆g̺͆m̺͆i̺͆n̺͆ Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

I think you were warned when you came back from the first kick and the mod gave her reasoning. You could have just made a report or talked to the mod rather than disobey.
    You were a mod as you say so you would know that when players fight back it just hinders our jobs. You could have handled it a little better.
    It wont undo the damage but its something to discuss.

7. Teeler

Teeler i am kenough

IGN:
    TeelerSwift69
    Fair enough, not everybody sugarcoats stuff.

8. Hoecobo

Hoecobo Senior Member

Should be a flat out mute to me. I don't even care if it's a joke. If someone's calling their friend that as a joke, they obviously have no clue what it actually means. It's a very derogatory term and people take offense to it.

9. LeDjin

LeDjin Active Member

Thank U, It may seem rude to U but I don't candy coat my opinion =)
    Just my first - after my forum ban

10. Stel

Stel Guest

I fully agree, but again it depends on the mod.

11. Hoecobo

Hoecobo Senior Member

Lol I skipped this post before. You take a normal thread, with totally calm discussion about a word, and you call out a mod for being bad. Lmao If you have a problem with the mod report them or PM. If you call them out in a public thread you'll only get hate.

12. LeDjin

LeDjin Active Member

Thank U, It may seem rude to U but I don't candy coat my opinion =)
    Just my first - after my forum ban
    I call um how I see um. I don't mind the hate that is Ur wasted energy not mine =)

13. Teeler

Teeler i am kenough

IGN:
    TeelerSwift69
    Don't see why you had to quote me again ._.

14. Myrmwife

Myrmwife Active Member

I am going to have to agree with Krissy on this topic. I would have kicked for this too. I do agree that this type of abbreviation is too harsh. I was also online with this so called abbreviation was spoken into the chat. In the back of my mind I was worried that some of the players might actually scream it into the chat. . . but that did not happen, which was a good thing.

So with that said I would have to agree with Gingehhhh 's right to kick. I also agree with what Krissy had to say. Yes, all MODS have their own ways of dealing with this type of stuff, but I think this is just drawing the line with this abbreviation. In my opinion I can't even type it because it is so obscene for me and I am a mature adult.

15. Sega_inc

Sega_inc Experienced Member

IGN:
    BarefootContessa
    If it's used in a rude/hateful manner towards another player, purposefully, then yes. But let us assume it was towards me, and I knew about it. I (personally) wouldn't mind. However, some players are more sensitive than others, due to background or past history. Now if just kicked for the abbreviation and nothing more, I.E. just saying "fgt" then at that point we might as well kick for "wtf" and "stfu". Net rules are different from Org rules in some occasions, no idea how they run that there, but this is only my opinion.

16. Crimsonwrath

I agree with that, me and dolphinmilk were both kicked for just saying fgt and nothing else, directing it at nobody. I don't understand why they wouldn't kick for stfu then, as it stands for something much more inappropriate. Or lmao & lmfao as they contain a**.

17. Myrmwife

Myrmwife Active Member

I will kick for stuff like that. As I stated before it truly depends on the MOD. I will kick for that. I know it hurts luv, but just be thankful it was only a kick and not a mute or a temp ban. I know it sounds harsh, but we all have to do our part and make the server a safe place to play. . . I know it sounds silly, but it is true.

18. Exasperaties

Exasperaties Well-Known Member

People need to lighten up imo.
    I use fgt as a joke, and if anyone even uses fgt as an insult, that's a pretty weak vocabulary of insults....

[​IMG]

19. Adrian_Monk_

Adrian_Monk_ Experienced Member

I kick when a word is censored only if it is directed at another player so this would be situational.

20. Artificiality

Artificiality Active Member

I'm gonna be the Debbie Downer here:
    "Fgt" is never okay. I used it as a joke back in the day as well, but these days, when I have a lot of gay friends, I've learned a lot more about the issue with that word, even when it's used jokingly.

The point is that calling someone a derogatory term equates it to other things you call people. Does "fgt" become the same as "idiot"? It's not a problem between you and the person you're saying it to. The problem is that you still - unwillingly - make being gay something lesser; something dumb; something you call people who act weird or stupid or negatively, however you use it.

I don't think it's okay to call someone "fgt", even if it's only half of the word. We all know what it means. I don't condone "fck" either. Anyone who knows me will know how much I swear in private; but in public I would very much like Skyblock to remain friendly and progressive.