Closed Rollercoaster building competition!

Discussion in 'Giveaways & Competitions Archive' started by odiewonkenobi, Jul 1, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. odiewonkenobi

odiewonkenobi Active Member

IGN:
    odiewonkenobi
    Hey all, want something fun to do?
    Build a rollercoaster!

You have one month to build a rollercoaster (or improve an existing one) to submit to this rollercoaster building competition!

Points will be awarded in 5 categories, listed below, which will be determined from an anonymous panel of judges

The top prize of this competition is an SC of grass, with grass being award to the runner-ups as well as all (valid) participants!
    Additional stacks of grass will also be awarded to the winner and runner-up of each category!

Prizes:
    1st
    - 1728 grass (1 SC)
    2nd - 640 grass (10 stacks)
    3rd - 320 grass (5 stacks)

Category winner + runner-up - bonus 64 grass (1 stack)
    (If a build wins or comes second in a particular category, a bonus stack will be awarded, meaning there are an additional 10 stacks up for grabs)

Participation - If your rollercoaster meets the requirements, a participation award of 64 grass (1 stack) will be awarded!

Scoring (each category is out of 10):
    Aesthetics - How good does the build look? A nice frame is much better than a mess of cobblestone, get creative!
    Track design - What kind of twists and turns are in the track? Consider what the player will experience!
    Redstone usage - What cool contraptions have you incorporated into your rollercoaster? Some inspiration is written below!
    Creativity - What makes your rollercoaster unique? A cohesive design can go a long way!
    Thrill-factor - How 'fun' is the overall experience? This is a more subjective category, so just try your best to make a fun overall experience!

Redstone ideas (to consider):
    - Changing the speed of the minecart, for example slowing the player down while going downhill
    - Jumps, could use slimeblocks or water to move the player around when not attached to tracks
    - Loop-de-loop, kinda tricky to make, but could be kinda cool
    - Triggering things, detector rails or tripwires could activate stuff like fireworks or something like that

Rules (open to discussion):
    - The rollercoaster must be reliable, it would be a bit awkward if the minecart fell off the track while we're judging :confusing:
    - The minecart must start and finish in the same location. If you want to try to do something different, message me. Otherwise, there should be a single start/stop station for the rollercoaster
    - No stealing designs, you will be disqualified if your design is discovered to not be your own
    - As a general rule, a longer rollercoaster provides more opportunities for creativity, but something small could also be cool. The point is, there will be a minimum start-to-finish time of 30 seconds
    - At least one judge must give a thrill-factor score of 3 or above out 10. It's not a very high bar to clear, but the intention is for people to not submit zero-effort tracks
    - The rollercoaster must be able to run without the creator present, we should be able to visit your island, hop in, and have it work (unlocked island, button to start)

You can enter at any point until the deadline:
    1st August 2024
    (one entry per person)

EDIT: The judging will be performed on the 2nd and 3rd of August

To enter or if you have any questions, message/mail me in game (odiewonkenobi), on discord (secretivepotplant), or here if you want

Last edited: Jul 3, 2024
  2. Zuzu

Zuzu Member

IGN:
    zuzusmith
    This is a really cool idea, thanks for running this odie! I'm useless with redstone but excited to see what others make :popcorn:

3. luka

luka macdondalds Super Moderator Premium

IGN:
    Houzo
    Love the idea odie!!

4. Narwhal'

Narwhal' Active Member Premium

IGN:
    TheSonicNarwhal
    Summer time contests!!! lets gooooo -- Thanks Odie :D

5. LeoSteel

LeoSteel Active Member

Really cool idea, look forward to seeing some of the results!

6. Devil

Devil stinky Discord Moderator

IGN:
    hellevator
    yass i love this and i hope my roller coaster does well lol

7. emil733

emil733 Member

IGN:
    emil733
    Cool idea Odie! : D

8. bERYbERRY

bERYbERRY c000000000000000kies Builder Premium

IGN:
    BertBerry
    does my 2x2 "rollercoaster" count?

9. odiewonkenobi

IGN:
    odiewonkenobi
    Is it a track that runs around your islands or something? (can't say that I've seen it)
    If yes, that should be fine, no problem submitting an existing track

10. odiewonkenobi

IGN:
    odiewonkenobi
    Clarification/change to the rule about starting and ending in the same place, since it's not really a very good 'rule'.
    The intention was for the rule to make it so that multiple people (the judges) could run the rollercoaster (when judging).
    Ideally, there should be the ability for multiple minecarts to be either stocked/queued in order for multiple people to ride.
    If there is any further confusion, please message me.

11. Levxrage

Levxrage Member

IGN:
    Levxrage
    This is awesome, great idea!! This is really good to give people something to do on the server :support:

With my limited roller coaster skills I will give it a shot :hah: Cant wait to see a ton of epic roller coasters, and good luck to all that are building :thumbsup:

12. GAMER1232012

GAMER1232012 Well-Known Member

What happens if one of the judges throws up while riding it? Do I gain points for unlocking projectile vomit achievement or lose points for safety?

13. 1_DarkLight_1

1_DarkLight_1 Active Member

IGN:
    1_DarkLight_1
    Automatic win.

14. bERYbERRY

bERYbERRY c000000000000000kies Builder Premium

IGN:
    BertBerry
    no its a literal 2x2 block rails XDD

15. GAMER1232012

GAMER1232012 Well-Known Member

What if, by making the smallest possible loop of rails, he is symbolizing that infinite and enduring potential can spring forth from even the most insignificant of beginnings? Perhaps we are judging this seemingly negligible design incorrectly, and failing to realize that it is actually an emotional rollercoaster?

16. Nikoshka

Nikoshka Well-Known Member

Hi, guess I'm making the first entry!
    IGN: Nikoshka

This is a rollercoaster I started building before the competition was actually announced. Spent quite a lot of time and resources and really enjoyed the process. Quite a few people have ridden it and have told me how good it is so hope that other players enjoy it just as much! :)

Just a few notes:

1) Please please please DO NOT get out of the cart mid-ride OR ride the rollercoaster when the server is about to reset. It will ruin the ride for the next player that goes on the coaster.
    I have designed some redstone that will de-activate the rollercoaster and stop players from riding it if there is a minecart stuck within the ride, however, it is not 100% fool proof. In order to fix stuck minecarts, I will need to manually log on and remove the trapped minecart which is really frustrating considering I'm on holiday over the next few weeks! If you accidentally do get logged out or anything, please just message me on discord (nikoshka) and I'll do my best to fix the issue!

2) Do NOT press 'w' at any time during the coaster. You start the coaster by pressing a button and you do not need to move forward at any point during the coaster... it's all redstone powered!

3) Please wait 60s in between each rider. The redstone needs time to reset between each ride so there is unfortunately a maximum of 2 riders at any time.
    I have designed a system which should not allow a new minecart to be released until the rider reaches the Biomes section of the ride (which takes about 60s for a rider to get to)

3) Switch your music on! Otherwise you'll miss out on some cool noteblock music.
    4) Have an empty space in your hotbar for snowballs.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2024
  17. odiewonkenobi

IGN:
    odiewonkenobi
    Alright, competition's over, time for the results!

Just gonna post the results here, since that's probably easiest :lmao:

Judge 1:
    upload_2024-8-4_10-31-48.png

Judge 2:
    upload_2024-8-4_10-32-7.png

Judge 3:
    upload_2024-8-4_10-32-22.png

Judge 4:
    upload_2024-8-4_10-32-37.png

Overall (averages):
    upload_2024-8-4_10-34-31.png

Summary:
    1st: Nikoshka

2nd: iStride
    3rd: Zake2000

I'll try to get the prizes to everyone when I can, message me when you're around if schedules aren't lining up!
    Thanks for participating guys! It was great to see some really cool builds :D

18. Devil

Devil stinky Discord Moderator

IGN:
    hellevator
    congrats :(

19. iStride

iStride Member

IGN:
    iStride
    congrats to the winners, thanks odie for holding the competition.

20. luka

luka macdondalds Super Moderator Premium

IGN:
    Houzo
    Congrats to the winners!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.