Skyblock Rework /ad + remove chat advertisements

Discussion in 'Server Gameplay Suggestions' started by Taki, Aug 30, 2020.

1. KhalDrogo

KhalDrogo Experienced Member

IGN:
    Drogo
    Skyblock is a trading server so banning people for advertising their trades seems an odd idea. The idea of paying to promote your ads will make it hard for new players to be noticed. The rich will get richer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mai

Mai serendipity Discord Moderator Premium Premium

I agree banning seems a bit extreme, however I feel like Skyblock isn't the same because of the amount of times people keep posting their advertisements and flooding chat with it. Back in Classic, things were a bit balanced.. however it seems like the same 6/7 people keep advertising their stuff now and there is barely any actual chatting going on. Yes, the player base has gone down compared to 2015/16, but personally when I go on Skyblock now and just see shop advertisements, I don't feel like speaking in chat because there's nothing other than that happening and many messages get carried away because of it.

I see your point, but I think it's already tough for new players to be noticed because of how many donors (mainly Skytitans) advertise their own stuff in chat. /ad would be a fair platform if it gets reworked and is able to work for all ranks.

Overall I think something should be done about this regardless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Taki

Taki Active Member

By saying the rich will get richer is just you describing the current system, it costs currently 0 grass to advertise via chat for both new players and old players, if /ad was used the 'rich' would want to be near the top of it therefore paying more for their advertisement and in return SPENDING their grass. The newer player may not be able to get near the top of the /ad page but if their prices are cheap enough I'm sure people will find it and go there. Even the smaller ads were getting visits.

/ad is an investment, even if they are not able to get to the top of advertisements there will likely still be visits, you can add a description to your shop and IMO the GUI is so easy to use that you can look at all the shops, if it was filled, in a matter of minutes. If haberson is on top, by having a description like 'cheaper than haberson' I'm sure you will get visits. In skyblock there is no such thing as rent or bills, if you're new you would be most definitely be completely self sufficient in terms of shop items and spend more grass on advertisements.

Although I agree that the older players will be higher on the. /ad page I don't think they will get anymore visits then they already do. Haberson's is a very established shop if there was no /ad and he stopped chat advertisements he will still get high amounts of visits. The example you gave is a good one however I still think it would be easier for a newer player to do it via /ad if everyone was doing it rather than keeping chat advertisements.

I also agree more with eunices idea of adding a limit rather than making it a punishable offence.

(I wrote all this on phone so may be errors)

4. No longer on forums

No longer on forums Member

To be honest, very few people actually catch the good deals from new players(sometimes on /ads), and I think he was most well-known because word of his shop spread through ranked players. Also colors make your message pop out so ranked players do have an advantage. However, popularizing /ads would be nice for newbies as they tend not to advertise in chat much.
    (I used to be a non-ranked player and it was pretty hard to get customers even with cheap prices occasionally)

5. Justin

Justin - Premium Premium

I’m going with support! Good luck

6. No longer on forums

No longer on forums Member

To improve upon this idea, I think putting a spam/ad filter on them so they can't say the same message too many times instead of banning/muting would be a better idea.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  7. Jerrry

Jerrry Well-Known Member

IGN:
    fpschess
    bumping for taki, i really support this chat ads make .net unplayable

• Agree Agree x 3