Reset across all /servers

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by SoySauce, Sep 5, 2021.

?

What is your opinion

1. crew can’t afford a reset

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. a reset??? won’t happen

19 vote(s)
    67.9%
  3. probably will happen

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. Could happen but might not

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SoySauce

SoySauce Active Member

IGN:
    SoyWRLD
    Hello. It has came to my attention that skyblock will come to its end because of lag and space. When it becomes too much, the servers will have to be reset and deleted. Destroying any progress made in the last few years.

what would happen if they do reset the servers?

will we keep our rares and valuables? Will they be transferred??

what will happen. What are your thoughts???

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  2. Prometheus

Prometheus Active Member Premium

IGN:
    PrometheusTheMad
    If a reset did happen the only fair thing is to basically wipe everything other than ranks and potentially some other paid features (like fly, kits maybe)

3. bERYbERRY

bERYbERRY c000000000000000kies Builder Premium

IGN:
    BertBerry
    Im guessing they are working on making a new server judging from the coming soon server thing.

4. Marcy

Marcy Apostlé of Falcons Premium

IGN:
    Marcawn
    Technically if they did a server reset, We would still be able to keep premium perks and kits as they come from ranks in the skyblock shop,
    Would take large time which means long as for another server to open up as due to the testing and plugins to add there.

5. SoySauce

SoySauce Active Member

IGN:
    SoyWRLD
    Well I sure hope that new server comes out. It will help bring players away from eco as it is more laggy.

is there a possibility we would keep our items?? Opinions?? Like a keep enderchest and Balance type of thing? What do y’all think?

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. Prometheus

Prometheus Active Member Premium

IGN:
    PrometheusTheMad
    Nah a new server could carry ranks and paid features over, nothing else is reasonable it should be fresh for everyone

7. Talisbar

Talisbar Member

IGN:
    Talisbar
    I think they will run into a legal issue if they delete digital items that equate to real world money.

8. UrsusMaiorus

UrsusMaiorus Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Ursusmaiorus
    They wont because all payment to the server are donations

9. Talisbar

Talisbar Member

IGN:
    Talisbar
    Interesting more of a reason never to buy anything, if the sever ever rests.

10. Moee

Moee Well-Known Member

IGN:
    moearnings
    it is one's own choice to donate to the server - the donor perks are at the discretion of the owner and nothing more. You aren't buying the perks, and thinking of it that way leads to a sense of entitlement that is entirely unwarranted, in my opinion. It is entirely up to you to donate, and there is no shame in your choice either way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Talisbar

Talisbar Member

IGN:
    Talisbar
    I dont believe I'm entitled since I haven't spent money on the server. Other players that do spend money might feel hurt by such a move. This could cause players to leave. Just a thought.

12. Ca1

Ca1 Senior Member

True however I think if the admins chose to reset it would be for they believe it would be beneficial to the players and thus bring in more players than it left behind

13. KingJonSnow

KingJonSnow Moderator Moderator

IGN:
    KingJonSnow
    Just did a little quick math and if 3 million people made islands and you put them side by side, it would be 60,000,000 (world border to world boards along one axis) x 2000. I can't see the server actually running out of physical space for people to build islands. The lag comes and goes. Just because space is "taken" by an island doesn't mean chunks are loaded and that island is causing lag. Staff have also done a great job trying to limit ups drops on the server.
    All that being said, I think there would be a better chance of a new server being developed for people to play on and start over, while all their items were still on the Skyblock server, than a reset. I think a lot of people would be upset on having their progress and years of grinding in some instances being wiped out. Just my thoughts on the matter. Im also all for the potential of another server on here with a version past 1.12.2. Would be so fun to try out some of the new mechanics and build with the new blocks.

14. Calidre

Calidre Experienced Member

IGN:
    Calidre
    If a server reset occurs I believe it’s 100% ok to delete any in game items. There’s no legal or requirement to keep any of it and items can be collected and earned through in game abilities making them not a necessity to keep since you had to play the game to get them. Ranks however, have usually been brought over for resets (with the exception of Overlord being removed on eco before the new server and high roller becoming the highest. That was a little bit of a dumb decision I believe personally since we didn’t get any sort of refund and they just made high roller the same price as Overlord with even less perks which to me seems stupid but oh well) so I would still like to see some sort of equal or the same rank value be transferred between servers.

Basically items, no definitely not. Ranks, I’d be ok if they were kept

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  15. Talisbar

Talisbar Member

IGN:
    Talisbar
    That's interesting because I see it the other way around. The rank would reset because rank is just a "donation". On the other hand most items are earned in game. I believe items would be passed over since its not going to effect the profits of the server in anyway. If they get everyone to rebuy ranks and get that early game edge over Greenies. $$$

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Calidre

IGN:
    Calidre
    Wanted to add to this, the actual number of islands that could fit is a lot more than 3 million (also I believe your number was meant to be 300,000 you added an extra 0 : P) Since the world border is based on an X-Y axis, it’s just a big square 30 milllion to -30milllion each making a 60million x 60million area. Each island is a square border which makes this calculation really easy. 60mil x 60mil is 3.6 quadrillion blocks total. Since each island is a square you can divide the total blocks by the blocks in each island area (39,601) and you get roughly 90.906 billion. You can fit over 90 billion islands inside the entirety of the world so when it comes to space, we will never run out and that’s not the issue. Now obviously, lag related issues would become a major issue long before that amount of islands would be reached but the idea of “lack of space” is definitely a non-issue.
    Since you pay a one time fee for a rank, (yes it’s a donation) you should be able to keep that since it’s the thing you did actually spend real money for. Because you can collect items through in game means, they should be deleted and you can go and grind those items again and new rare items could come into existence and create a new economic system. I just think since ranks are purchased with the thought in mind that it’s a permanent feature you’ll have, they should be carried over regardless of a reset

17. KingJonSnow

KingJonSnow Moderator Moderator

IGN:
    KingJonSnow
    I wasn’t saying that it was limited to 3 million. I was saying 3 million 200x200 islands would fit in a 60,000,000 x 2,000 space. Leaving a 60,000,000 x 59,998,000 space to develop. But yeah. We ain’t running out of space lol.

18. Calidre

IGN:
    Calidre
    Yes sorry didn’t see your x2000 part, but yea I was just calculating the actual number further proving we aren’t running out of space lol

19. Ca1

Ca1 Senior Member

I can only really think of an out of control duplication glitch that is widely available to the server to be a reason to reset it

20. Moee

Moee Well-Known Member

IGN:
    moearnings
    First of all, I would like to call into question the validity of the original report as I have heard no corroborating evidence (To be fair, I haven't logged onto the server in months and I haven't really had my ear to the wall, figuratively speaking).

However, the lack of space I think is being mentioned here is world file size (storage space). Even if the chunks aren't loaded, they would have to take up a significant amount of space. Even assuming 100kb per compressed chunk (very generous) and ~40 chunks per (unexpanded) island (lets reduce down to 16 chunks with render distance given that most people dont leave their main island or edit it), just 100k islands would be 100GB - a manageable but still surprising size (remember, this is an extreme underestimate). I have no doubt the devs have found some way to reduce file size or something like that, but even so, it would be hard to handle that many generated chunks. Obviously this wouldn't shut the server down, but it is still something to consider.