Skyblock Poll Option

Discussion in 'Server Gameplay Suggestions' started by Mythical_Cat, May 5, 2019.

1. Mythical_Cat

Mythical_Cat Member

IGN:
    Mythical_Cat
    I would like to suggest having an in-game poll option. It could appear when a player logs on and ask them to maybe choose which one out 0f these three things would you like to see in the future on the server. This could be helpful when planning new ideas and would like people's opinions. Yes, I know this option is on forums but it could then allow players who aren't signed up to forums allow them to have a vote as well.

• Support Support x 4
  2. Monster_Sparklez

Monster_Sparklez Yee yee Bubba Premium Premium

IGN:
    Monster_Sparkles
    Support on the first idea of the in game pole maybe 1 grass for everyone who votes
    Neutral on the second one though if people want to vote they should create a forums account first.

3. fran

fran pensive Premium

IGN:
    franfiction
    Full support! I don't agree with Monster. Voting should be optional and rewards for voters would probably encourage abuse, meaning we would get replies from people who want grass, instead of people who are actually interested in the server.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Marcy

Marcy Apostlé of Falcons Premium

IGN:
    Marcawn
    Support on the in-game option.
    For the forums they need to create an account first.

5. fran

fran pensive Premium

IGN:
    franfiction
    Guys, she's saying that this would give a chance (to people who don't have a forums account) to be able to have a voice, not that people should be allowed to vote on forums without an account...

6. Adriansop

Adriansop Moderator Moderator

IGN:
    Adriansop
    That sounds quite useful. To have a fair voting result, we could add a restriction of only letting people vote after x time of gameplay on the server. This would mean the votes we get are actually from players who stay on the server longer than most do (I'm just stealing this idea from how Runescape polls go and I just take credits for it like a genius). Support.

7. ItsRed

ItsRed Well-Known Member

IGN:
    HeyItsRed
    Yeah to get the opinion of the whole community instead of just forum players this would be really cool

8. Adriansop

Adriansop Moderator Moderator

IGN:
    Adriansop
    The bigger question is, who would set up the actual polls? It's not like Noob or mods can literally throw every suggestion in the server and expect all players to have an opinion about every single one. This could be difficult in the filtering what to poll and what not.

9. trinity

trinity selene Discord Moderator Premium

IGN:
    sunflow27
    Start with the most popular one either judging by more supports or how many times it’s been suggested then Lee could add them to the poll since he looks at the suggestions pretty often, then he can talk all supports or no supports from both platforms

10. Krissy

Krissy f̺͆o̺͆r̺͆g̺͆m̺͆i̺͆n̺͆ Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

Neutral
    People will use alts to manipulate the polls. It’s far easier to manipulate than forums polls and suggestions. I think people should aim to get a forums account.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. lowfps10

lowfps10 Active Member

IGN:
    lowfps10
    ^^
    Because alts aren't allowed on the forums, it's more fair there

12. MrGallifrey

MrGallifrey Active Member

IGN:
    MrGallifrey
    I would love to see it implemented, but like others said, alts may be a concern.

13. archerexpert777

archerexpert777 Senior Member

IGN:
    simparch777
    I like this idea, support! Sometimes I feel lazy and forums is sometimes dead so it would be nice to add polls in game

14. Michael

Michael Active Member

IGN:
    michael1234
    I feel like this idea had the potential to work well, but could also very easily be abused and/or some players may find it slightly annoying to feel "obligated", per se, to answer polls that they otherwise wouldn't care about. There are quite a few players on the server that don't have any interest in becoming super involved, and would much rather just play the game in peace, without having to worry about the actual mechanics of the game or needing to heavily interact with the community. This isn't a bad thing; everyone just has different expectations as to what they hope to get out of their experience here.

While this isn't an extremely large problem, there are also issues regarding how it would be set up, maintained, and kept fair. It would be quite difficult to prevent all attempts at manipulating the "results", as there are always ways around any restrictions we try to place; it may take quite a while, but if someone wants to put in the effort, they almost definitely could easily manipulate the results. Because of this, it would be difficult to entirely trust these polls, and would most likely require some sort of discussion on the forums anyway. Implementing this poll system would also most likely require for a new plugin to be created, and someone would have to be in charge of frequently updating the questions, which I personally don't think would be the best use of time, because, as stated before, we wouldn't be able to entirely trust these results anyways.

There would also be the problem of deciding which suggestions to add to the polls. We obviously cannot add all of them, and "choosing favorites", per se, may either lead to hurt feelings, tensions between players, or a feeling of certain suggestions being "inferior" just because they were not chosen, which could possibly lead players to view it as more of a competition, rather than just trying to provide helpful suggestions to improve the server.

We always encourage players to create suggestions and provide feedback; however, for the most part, those who actually want to do so, usually have a forums account anyway, and don't have any issue with discussing changes to the server here instead. The forums also allows users to provide much more detailed and thought out responses, as it is not a live chat, and one can take as much time as they wish to formulate a response, which usually leads to much more productive discussions, when this fact is taken advantage of. Players can not only provide their opinion, but also elaborate on their reasoning as much, or as little, as they wish, in order to give others a better understanding of why they hold that opinion.

Overall, I think that the idea itself is great, but it could be easily abused and would be difficult to effectively implement. I personally believe that it would be much better to encourage users to join the forums and provide feedback here rather than providing an in-game alternative, as we would not be able to fully rely on in-game feedback anyways. If there is some way to get around this or ensure that it could not be abused in any way, and that it would be worth the extra time to maintain, then I would support this suggestion; however, at the moment, I am neutral.

• Informative Informative x 1