Make money fast without causing server lag (Smart farming)

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by iako, Jan 6, 2019.

1. iako

iako Well-Known Member Premium Premium Premium Premium

I see a lot of players ask why their Redstone creations don't work great or work at all on this server and I see tons of Redstone creations with too many hoppers or advanced circuits for really simple farms that don't require any of that.

This server's configuration operates off of 100 events per 0-256 chunk.
    What I mean by this is in a 16x16 chunk, from Y level 0 to Y level 256, 100 events can be processed at once per second (tick). We use this configuration to make the server run faster and get rid of useless Redstone machines when there are better, smarter ways to make quality farms on here.

These events can include:
    • Piston extension and retraction
    • Item drops
    • Spawn rates
    • Redstone on off states
    • Block generation
    • Many more variables ~

Any events that exceed over 100 per 0-256 chunk are stopped and not produced, you can see this with large piston walls with only half or some of them firing even if your Redstone circuit is correct.

Here's an example of my Cocoa farm where I can farm fast, efficient, and not cause a lot of lag:
    I built a jungle log pillar from Y level 0 to Y level 250; on top of that with a 1 block gap I placed a dispenser that is facing down. Inside this dispenser there is a water bucket.
    All you would need to do is place a button on that dispenser, hit the button and once all your Cocoa is farmed the water will fall on all 4 sides of the Jungle logs and break all the Cocoa off causing it to fall to the platform or few hoppers below to collect it. With this setup you can easily get over an inventory of Cocoa with 1 harvest.
    It's easy to replant the cocoa also all you need to do is make a vertical ladder pillar on either side if you don't have fly, or fly up and down while holding right click to replant.

Now look what you just did, you just made a ton of Cocoa with little effort and you caused little to no server lag.
    You didn't need to waste your iron or Redstone on a ton of pistons to push around your jungle logs and you can do the same with many other farms you may have.

Please consider that the owner pays a lot of money to host the server to allow us to play on here and any of it isn't cheap. To make a decent experience for other players let's make really simple farms without having to spend your precious resources on these advanced farms.

Keep in mind this server configuration can change any time and can get more strict if we keep making these over-advanced farms.
    The current configuration:
    100 Events per 0256 Chunk.

Also if you want to stay updated with my in-depth threads give me a follow I love to break down this server and it's processes.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Stemony

Stemony Active Member

Is this true? I feel like my pumpkin farm (/visit iShop) has over 100 events per chunk (pumpkin drops, pistons, redstone, water) and works fine.

3. Krissy

Krissy f̺͆o̺͆r̺͆g̺͆m̺͆i̺͆n̺͆ Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

I think any way to farm that doesn't use a lot of redstone is quite smart. Especially when you consider you can make several pillars. A little bit of effort to farm doesn't hurt anyone.

4. m0gliEz

m0gliEz Active Member

IGN:
    m0gliEz
    It may work fine at times of low resource usage, however, when multiple players each reach their event cap nearly at the same time, it ends up taking a huge tole on the server's resources, you'll see huge spikes of lag and specifically memory usage will suddenly drop from having 9GB free down to 2GB free or lower, and then shoot back up once the event caps reset.

5. Manubidoo

Manubidoo Well-Known Member

IGN:
    1byte
    Good suggestion, let me make one of my own to others: fortune on tools is also applicable to most, if not all, harvestable crops. I personally farm netherwart but it seems I may need to change with the prices changing and all, meaning you need multiple 99x99 story farms to make decent profit/day. Cacao beans look like they are the next best thing. If you are able to get Eff V & Fort 3 on an axe, I'd recommend using this to harvest cacao beans. It is very speedy, and can be made faster with the fastbreak cheat found in most clients (I believe this is an accepted mod/cheat, as it does not affect movement speed or remove the need to donate to recieve this perk), to allow getting the maximum profit from your cacao bean farm, while also removing the need of redstone.

Completely agree on this one, see complaints so often in chat from people who don't seem to realise the cost of running a server with such a large playerbase.

I would love to, followed! :p

6. mijiperki

mijiperki Well-Known Member

Also if your game lags (fps) while using a farm that has lots of block updates (flowing water, moving pistons or slime), build a roof and keep it as dark as possible to reduce light updates.

7. Lz

Lz Well-Known Member

There is a much faster way to gain money however since the server lag might be noticeable if it's done at a larger scale, I will not mention it since that is of major concern right now. In theory you could make excess of 1.000.000 per hour.

Aside from that, this is a productive way to make money, well written.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  8. Manubidoo

Manubidoo Well-Known Member

IGN:
    1byte
    You've said this in-game and now you say this here, and yet in-game you tell me it's 'not really a method, more of an exploit'. If it's an exploit that will damage the economy + cause the server to lag even moreso, then the right thing to do is not mention it in public, which quite likely will attract attention of users who will then go on to try to discover it, but rather report it to a member of staff who can deal with the issue/exploit properly.

9. Lz

Lz Well-Known Member

it's not an exploit in the way that you think of an exploit. it would be "legal" and reporting it to the staff wouldn't accomplish much. it does not cause lag if one person does it, however if dozens of people start using it the TPS may be noticeable.

10. Oakk

Oakk Experienced Member

IGN:
    OakiiDoakie
    You said it was in-game

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Lz

Lz Well-Known Member

12. W4ste_Gam3r

W4ste_Gam3r Active Member

IGN:
    W4ste_Gam3r
    Well in some cases redstoneless farms dont work well. At my is for example i built a cocoa bean farm thats too big to plant them all at once, because otherwise the items would despawn. Its not even too big but the water harvest takes most of the events. :(

• Like Like x 1
  13. m0gliEz

m0gliEz Active Member

IGN:
    m0gliEz
    Eventually, going too big has a negative impact. The same happened on /skyblock with zombie pigman farms. Having many spawners in one grinding area ended up reducing your results. I've tested this before the nurf. Having 40 spawners in one area for grinding had almost the same results as another farm using 80-90 spawners. After time, so many people having so many spawners in one area would drop the TPS, when that happened, your farms, along with everybody else's were reduced by the drop in tick rate. Efficient farms that don't cause tick rate's to fluctuate actually see better results, for you, and the entire community.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. fran

fran pensive Premium

IGN:
    franfiction
    Thanks for this, 4. I will be building a cocoa farm similar to yours as soon as I fly back home. #NoMoreLag

15. iako

iako Well-Known Member Premium Premium Premium Premium

Bumping this thread as it is informative and helpful for the server's speed.

• Like Like x 1