Declined make like a neutral rating

Discussion in 'Forums Suggestions Archive' started by Jess, Jul 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcy

Marcy Apostlé of Falcons Premium

IGN:
    Marcawn
    You DO realize that Hype Trains are used for Annoucements & Update Threads? and Fire Rating is kinda like the Amazing rating but in a different way that people use for huge records, builds, amazing updates, etc.

By the way this is how the post chart & it's ratings should look like:

Capture.PNG

2. Jerrry

Jerrry Well-Known Member

IGN:
    fpschess
    Why do we need a rating for announcements and updates? We have so many other ratings to use.
    And I don't see a difference between fire and amazing. You can't just say this:
    You say it's used for "huge records, builds, amazing updates, etc" which DO NOT COME OFTEN, and we can still use amazing for those.

3. Jess

Jess Senior Member

IGN:
    beautiiful
    I'm just saying that you haven't experienced these forums the way I have. I was here before several of the newer ratings were added. I was here when new rate abuse rules were added. I was here when "dislike" was changed from negative to neutral. My point was, that your view on the rating system is from what you've experienced, which simply differs from mine, and many others' experiences, which may be why you do not see a need for an overhaul of the rating system.
    Out of 17 existing ratings, you've received zero of seven ratings, and just one of four others. Which means you haven't received 42% of the existing ratings, and when you include ratings you've only received one of, that number goes up to 65%. My point stands.
    I'm not voting to change anything into negative, I'm suggesting certain ratings be made neutral.
    I suggest you reread my thread. I am in no way suggesting that anything be made negative, but rather certain positive ratings be made neutral. I also have further reasons than just "negative things should be negative." Read the thread.
    Read. The. Thread.

4. Jerrry

Jerrry Well-Known Member

IGN:
    fpschess
    For the things you are saying to "read the thread" about, those were on some other points you made in some other posts in this thread.
    And 17/2 = 8.5. This means 8.5 is the number of ratings I could have earned that would make me have over half of the existing ratings. I've earned 10 of them. As 10>8.5, you are wrong.
    Okay, I semi-understand what you are saying here. You didn't mean you had more authority on the forums, just that you know the forums more than me.

5. Jess

Jess Senior Member

IGN:
    beautiiful
    Saying “half” is a common use of hyperbole. And as I’ve said out of those 17 ratings, you’ve earned seven, and you’ve only received one of a further four ratings. My point being certain ratings are redundant and unnecessary, which points towards a change in the system as a whole. I do not understand why you are so passionate about ratings that quite literally do not, and have not affected you.

6. Jerrry

Jerrry Well-Known Member

IGN:
    fpschess
    None of this makes any sense, it doesn't even combat any of my points at all.

7. Jess

Jess Senior Member

IGN:
    beautiiful
    Case, meet point.
    Please tell me what points you're trying to make, and I will explain my reasoning against them for you.

8. Jerrry

Jerrry Well-Known Member

IGN:
    fpschess

9. Jess

Jess Senior Member

IGN:
    beautiiful
    Your entire post was about neutral ratings being made negative. My suggestion is about making certain positive ratings neutral for three main reasons: ratings and their relation to reputation/low reputation players having high positive ratings, the previous point being due to rate abuse, and the general consensus that certain positive ratings should be made negative due to them being opinion-based and not objective. So if you have any other points you wish to make, or if there's anything you'd like me to further explain, please actually detail them, or I'd have nothing to say.

10. natominister

natominister Well-Known Member

if someone likes something then thats a good thing if not then its bad but only for them
    like and dislike ratings shows the publics perception on certain content and if the a majority of people receives it well (likes it) it should be a good thing
    dislike got turned
    neutral dammit

11. Jerrry

Jerrry Well-Known Member

IGN:
    fpschess
    Changing to neutral, I would support but I think the ratings are fine how they are.

12. Jess

Jess Senior Member

IGN:
    beautiiful
    Exactly. If someone likes something, it’s good but only for them (the person giving the “like”), despite the concept behind “like” being that it is a positive sentiment, it is entirely objective, so it makes little sense that it would result in the other person gaining a positive rating. Similarly, this was why “dislike” was made neutral, it’s unfair to give an individual a negative rating due to another person’s opinion. Therefore, the same should apply to “likes”. This is further explained in my original post.
    You’re missing my point. Like and dislike ratings do *not* show public perception, because several of the members on the “most positive” ratings leaderboard are not the nicest people, many of them being most well known for their rather poor reputations. Again, this is detailed in my original thread.

13. boba

boba modern manifesto Premium

IGN:
    BobaLatte
    There’s absolutely no need to argue on Suggestions. You can simply give your opinion and advice. I don’t see why this suggestion thread is turning more into a political argument. Thank you.

14. Jerrry

Jerrry Well-Known Member

IGN:
    fpschess
    I think if Jess wants to try to argue people onto their side, they can.

15. Jess

Jess Senior Member

IGN:
    beautiiful
    Civil discussions.

16. dejongJR21

dejongJR21 Member

IGN:
    dejongJR21
    No support, i can agree with it but mwah

17. natominister

natominister Well-Known Member

i see your point now. These individual may have gotten their "likes" through illegitimate means (the rate abuse you discussed) and thus misrepresent the public perception but with the "like" feature turned neutral can't they just abuse the remaining positive ratings instead?

18. Jess

Jess Senior Member

IGN:
    beautiiful
    That's understandable.
    It's harder to abuse other positive ratings because they can only be abused through threads, and most positive rate abuse is through liking profile statuses (quickest and easiest).

Moreover, the majority of "like" ratings that people receive are through profile statuses, which further skews the ratio, as other ratings can only be received through posts on threads.

19. athyrix

athyrix Senior Member Premium

Hi Jess.
    Thanks for your suggestion. There have been multiple valid points in your suggestion however this is not something that myself or the team want to apply to the forums. There's a whole load of reasons behind this but the main ones are the fact that there are thousands of likes out on the forums, most of them are well deserved and the rating system would be completely nerfed. Players would not be happy and it's just not something that I can see as ethically viable. Yes, they are just ratings, but I don't want to remove that. Secondly, we've already got a lot of neutral ratings, for the same reasoning we could easily just change all of them to neutral. I understand that ratings are completely one's own opinion however liking something is still seen with positive connotations. You could argue that the dislike rating should therefore be negative (as it once was) but I am not interested at the moment in adding that back due to the massive influx of negative ratings people would receive. I hope this makes sense and is the reasoning for the denial of this suggestion. Thank you though!

Thank you so much for taking the time to make a suggestion!

Unfortunately, your suggestion has been declined. Your suggestion may have not been possible, needed, etc.

This thread has been moved to the Forums Suggestions - Archive. The thread starter may report this post with 90 days if they are dissatisfied with this action, and a moderator or administrator will reconsider it.

Kind regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.