Leeeroieee's Introduction

Discussion in 'Introductions & Farewells' started by Leeeroieee, Apr 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leeeroieee

Leeeroieee Well-Known Member Premium

IGN:
    Leeeroieee
    Hi everyone!

My name's John and I live in the US. My IGN is a reference to my dog Leroy, spelled the way I imagine he would spell it if he could talk.

I've been playing Skyblock 2.1 in single player mode for a long time, but I only discovered Skyblock.net a few weeks ago and I love it!

I'm a bit shy, but I try to be friendly and helpful. A couple of incredibly kind players helped me figure things out when I was just getting started on .net and that meant so much to me, so I'm always happy to help others, especially new players.

I feel bad that the server seems to be under so much strain sometimes. I'm an experienced Linux hosting engineer with a Java development and support background and I'm pretty good at troubleshooting and fixing complex problems. I'd love to do whatever I can to help make things better, whether it's actually taking a look under the hood and making recommendations for optimizing performance, or just doing what I can to brighten someone's day.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for being such an awesome community, and to the owners for creating something so cool and sharing it with us all.

See you all around!

Leeeroieee

• Like x 3
    • Friendly x 2
    • Cookie x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  2. Beez

Beez Well-Known Member

Hello there :)

3. Wolfie

Wolfie Well-Known Member

Hai buddy! It's nice to know more about you :heart:

4. Leeeroieee

IGN:
    Leeeroieee

Hai!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  5. amy

amy Guest

hey! :^) aegtaers

6. Leeeroieee

IGN:
    Leeeroieee
    Hello Amy! Good to see you!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. IllegalWiFi

IllegalWiFi Guest

I think I've seen you on a couple of times before. Anyways nice to know more about you.

8. Leeeroieee

IGN:
    Leeeroieee
    Yes, I've seen you on before as well Nice to meet you Wifi!

See you around!

9. Stray Gamer

Stray Gamer Member

Hey hey, nice to meet ya.

10. Leeeroieee

IGN:
    Leeeroieee
    Hiya Stray, great to meet you!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Eggyolk2OO2

Eggyolk2OO2 Experienced Member

IGN:
    Eggyolk2OO2
    Hi! You seem very nice. Hope to see you on once an a while.. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Wonkie

Wonkie Experienced Member

IGN:
    wonkiedonkie
    Hey there, nice to meet you.
    I've seen you in game a few times ;)

13. Leeeroieee

IGN:
    Leeeroieee
    Aww, thanks!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  14. athyrix

athyrix Senior Member Premium

Why hello there c:

15. Leeeroieee

IGN:
    Leeeroieee
    Hey there Doigh! Nice to meet you.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TumblrShamed

TumblrShamed New Member

PLEASE WHY IS MY COMPUTER GOING SO SLOW

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Leeeroieee

IGN:
    Leeeroieee
    Your computer's slowness is most likely due to inadequate resources to carry the workload it's under. You can either scale up by getting a more powerful computer, scale out by spreading the existing workload across multiple computers, or reduce the workload by cutting out bloat.

But before throwing more resources at it, you'd have to identify exactly where the current bottleneck is. If the problem is slow memory or disk, a faster CPU won't help.

In the case of this server, the problem is most likely the growth and accumulation of dead islands over time, with insufficient increases in processing capacity to compensate.

Some workloads increase exponentially over time or don't scale very well, and the only option is to reduce the workload by periodically cleaning up dead weight.

For example, if the problem is having thousands of abandoned islands, they could be archived into offline storage after the island owner has been absent for longer than a certain amount of time. If the player logs in again before the same area is assigned to a new island, it can be restored in-place. If not, it can be restored to a new location with same or different biome type.

That way nobody loses their stuff, but dead islands don't need to consume high priority system resources and adversely impact the experience of active players.

Periodically, all servers need to be rebuilt or replaced. With careful planning and communication with the user community, it should be possible to clean up the current data and migrate to a more powerful instance with minimal disruption and no irrecoverable loss of active islands or user inventory. And if we don't want to be stuck on Minecraft 1.8 forever, there have to be procedures in place for periodically updating the server software, including adequate testing and developer support for any custom code.

Lastly, it may be necessary to break up the server load, so that instead of having one enormous world with everyone's islands in it, you can break it up into multiple worlds running on different servers, but where chat is connected between them and players can teleport between locations in different worlds seamlessly.

There would be a slightly longer load time when moving between servers (like what happens if you move between Net and Org) but each individual server would have less load and be more responsive and you could scale up to thousands of concurrent users with little or no lag.

This would result in fewer unhappy players driven into the arms of other servers. And if the owners periodically add new content and functionality, they will draw new players, who will vote and increase the server's ranking, leading to more growth, and more donations, hopefully, which would help finance operations and further infrastructure improvements.

I love this community, and would love to see it thrive. Doing this kind of work for a living, I know that systems need careful management or they'll start experiencing performance and reliability issues. And I also know that effective communication with the user community can go a long way towards reducing frustration when problems inevitably occur.

I realize the server owners are incredibly busy people, and it isn't my intention to criticize (well, maybe a little, in a friendly and constructive way ) but I hope they can find it in their hearts to at least delegate these responsibilities to staff who are adequately empowered to exercise effective stewardship and make continuous improvements.

But even as it is, I'm really glad I found this place. Aside from the rare times when the game is frustrating unplayable, this is pretty awesome place and I really love the people here.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Rolly

Rolly Senior Member

IGN:
    Rolly__
    Hi John,

Pleasure to meet you! Welcome to the community!

19. Leeeroieee

IGN:
    Leeeroieee
    Thanks, pleasure to meet you, too!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Config

Config Well-Known Member

Hello John, welcome to skyblock young man!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.