Global lcase on commands

Discussion in 'Server Gameplay Suggestions' started by flint_the_bard, Apr 3, 2024.

1. flint_the_bard

flint_the_bard Active Member

Im sure this has already been suggested before but im going to suggest that the server take all commands through lcase so that the server reads them as lower case always. It is silly if you do /FIX it will say its not a command but will activate the cooldown for the command. So you cant use it till cooldowns over even tho it didnt fire before. [​IMG]

• Support Support x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Cookie Cookie x 1
  2. luka

luka macdondalds Super Moderator Premium

IGN:
    Houzo
    Used to work pre 1.19 update. There is a bug report open (has been since 1.19 update) regarding this.

3. CraftWithAbbie

CraftWithAbbie Active Member

IGN:
    CraftWithAbbie
    Having all /commands work either /UPPER CASE /lower case or MiXeD CaSeS should let the command work. They shouldn't be case sensitive lol

Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
  4. Magik

Magik Well-Known Member

IGN:
    MagikIsAMush
    Adding a .lower() to a line before executing a command is hard OK? /s

Now that I think about it, it could probably be doable in the meantime with a mod.

Pssssst xolt

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. xolt

xolt Well-Known Member Premium

IGN:
    xolt
    This is really a problem that should be fixed server-side. There are too many special cases to deal with - simply converting all commands to lower case would be inadequate. For example, the /msg command. This approach would cause all of your messages to be sent in lower case. It could be restricted to just the first argument of the command, but then multi-argument case-sensitive commands would not be fixed. The only plausible solution I can think of is to maintain a list of affected commands, and only target those. But that would be time consuming, and adds to the maintenance load.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Pillow

Pillow blanky Premium

IGN:
    Pilberry
  7. xolt

IGN:
    xolt
    Well there you go! Thanks for the quick fix. I guess targeting only the first argument is fine as a workaround. Just wouldn’t consider it a “proper” fix since it doesn’t handle all cases.

8. CraftWithAbbie

CraftWithAbbie Active Member

IGN:
    CraftWithAbbie
    This would make sense I guess.

Is it not possible to just have commands not be case sensitive so they'd work even if typed with capitals? Idk much about how that would work

9. xolt

IGN:
    xolt
    Commands like /fix and /warp are handled on the server side, so a change would have to be made there to remove case sensitivity entirely. All the client can do is modify the command before sending it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
  10. xolt

IGN:
    xolt
    Upon doing some more research, it looks like Spigot introduced some changes to the command system in 1.19.1. One of the consequences of this was commands becoming case-sensitive (as they are in vanilla). There is some discussion about it here: (1.19.1) Commands are now case-sensitive · Issue #8223 · PaperMC/Paper · GitHub

Since this is a change made in Spigot, and not a plugin, I doubt we will be seeing a fix for this server-side. So a client workaround may be needed to achieve this after all.

• Cookie Cookie x 1
  11. xolt

IGN:
    xolt
    Also, I haven't been able to find any commands where the first argument contains capitals (except for one that does nothing), or where the others are case sensitive, so lowercasing just the first argument should work for all commands at the moment. Would just need to pay attention to any new commands, and whether they contain capitals in the first argument/check case on later arguments.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Magik

Magik Well-Known Member

IGN:
    MagikIsAMush
    I guess you could add a fail safe where you run the command normally and check for its output and if it's the error msg, you lower case it.

13. xolt

IGN:
    xolt
    Seems kind of clunky. Would also be pretty easy to get kicked for spam using this unless a delay is added (which would be even clunkier lol)

What I could do (not sure why I didn't think of this earlier) is just check if the lower case version of the command is present in the command tree (basically a list of the server's commands sent when you join). This way, commands containing capitals will not be affected, since their lowercase version won't be in the tree.

14. Pillow

Pillow blanky Premium

IGN:
    Pilberry
    Are other cases things like "/SHOPS FIND OWNED", and the arguments?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. xolt

IGN:
    xolt
    Yeah, although all of the commands I could find are case insensitive on their secondary arguments, so its not really an issue unless that changes in the future. It was that and commands that are supposed to contain capitals in their first argument (which can be accounted for by doing what I described above). I think with the above fix it should be reliable enough.