Hopper & Spawner Limits

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Noobcrew, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Noobcrew

Noobcrew Server Owner Server Owner Administrator

IGN:
    Noobcrew
    Hey guys, I wanted to make this thread to let you guys know what will be going on with the limits on hoppers & mob spawners and to get your feedback regarding this.

So it's obvious we are still struggling with latency issues pretty often, despite our many improvements on certain functions. We believe a majority of it is still related primarily to all of the hoppers along with the amount of mob spawners centered in one area. Because of this unfortunately, I will be once again reducing the amount of hoppers & spawners that can be placed on your islands.

When we introduced this, we have been allowing a very generous amount. Even though nothing on the server tells me specifically if it's related or not, I honestly think perhaps half of our latency issues is 80% hoppers, 20% mob spawners.

If you go back to recent times when we first released the economy server when everything was fresh, we were doing upwards of 150 players with 15-18 TPS, now with even 50 players at night we are doing somewhere around 10. Which is half the performance with only 1/3 of the players. We have actually improved things since then and we haven't added anything resource intensive, so naturally that wouldn't make sense. Though since then of course, hoppers, spawners, pistons, redstone, entities, all that were acquired and made and all of them functioning at once is drastically bringing the server performance down.

We feel reducing the amounts of these to a low but fair amount even though making large contraptions not possible would make a better experience for everyone. As I mentioned, this is the reason we added limits in the first place, though what we did at first was see how it would work first and restrict only those that had insanely high amounts.

Along with this, we would greatly appreciate those that even with the new limits cut back on the amount used, a low amount of hoppers for instance can still be used and function the same by using them in different ways such as instead of using 10 hoppers to move some items down 10 blocks, you can use ice and make the items slide to a certain spot and so on.

Here are the amounts currently:

The amounts depend on island size for anyone not aware too, default is the standard size, mid would be the 149x149 size, and large would be the 199x199.

Current:

Spawners:
    Standard: 48
    Mid: 64
    Large: 96

Hoppers:
    Standard: 128
    Mid: 192
    Large: 256

New Limits:

Spawners:
    Standard: 24
    Mid: 36
    Large: 48

Hoppers:
    Standard: 48
    Mid: 64
    Large: 96

I will be looking to set these new limits tomorrow morning (Sunday, April 14th) at or around the server restart.
    Let me know what you guys think.

• Dislike x 3
    • Cookie x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  2. fran

fran pensive Premium

IGN:
    franfiction
    Thanks for this Crew!

By the way, what are the limits for snowman/pigzombie spawners? Were they changed?

3. Marcy

Marcy Apostlé of Falcons Premium

IGN:
    Marcawn
    Thanks Noobcrew.

4. bERYbERRY

bERYbERRY c000000000000000kies Builder Premium

IGN:
    BertBerry
    Ayyyy Thanks Crew. I really hope this would affect the server in a good way especially the lag and the low TPS that happens like often.

5. mijiperki

mijiperki Well-Known Member

If you're tightening the limits on these items even more I suggest you implement some new limits on new items as these aren't the only 2 things in the game that can cause lots of lag.

Also, would be interesting to see by how much this does actually affect the server's performance so please keep us updated : )

Edit: Noobcrew will our existing hoppers that take us over the limit be deleted, removed and placed in our inventories or left until we break them manually(wont be able to place any more until below limit)?

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  6. K41YU

K41YU ahiru-san Moderator Premium

IGN:
    K41YU
    Kbrick gotta redo some farms I guess.

7. Monster_Sparklez

Monster_Sparklez Yee yee Bubba Premium Premium

IGN:
    Monster_Sparkles
    Thanks crew
    Is there any possible way we could upgrade the server to its max like update the software ect?

8. lilCupcakeFreak

lilCupcakeFreak Well-Known Member Discord Moderator

IGN:
    lilcupcakefreak
    What will happen to the ‘spare’ hoppers? Will we be able to uncraft them?

9. Noobcrew

IGN:
    Noobcrew
    We have pretty close to the fastest specs available and with what we can get with our provider.
    An i7-6700k (4GHz) with 64GBs of ram & a 480GB SSD.
    Pretty good :p

That's why it's not really related to our hardware, if we could upgrade to faster we really would. And we upgraded to this already middle of last year.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Noobcrew

IGN:
    Noobcrew
    What type of items do you mean we should also limit?
    Hoppers/Spawners over the limit will basically not function until their manually broke down to the limit. If you're over, you should receive a message every 5 minutes letting you know.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Noobcrew

IGN:
    Noobcrew
    Pig Zombie & Snowman are currently set to a max of 10, we were thinking of also making this reduced to just 8 for now.

12. Noobcrew

IGN:
    Noobcrew
    Yes, this was added not to long ago. You can uncraft hoppers into 5 iron ingots.

13. Monster_Sparklez

Monster_Sparklez Yee yee Bubba Premium Premium

IGN:
    Monster_Sparkles
    Will the drop rates be increasesd? since we are now going to be able to spawn less
    so we can still be making the equal amount of gold as we are rn with less lag

14. fran

fran pensive Premium

IGN:
    franfiction
    Coolio. Thanks for replying and no double posting for you
    BertBerry !!!

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. lilCupcakeFreak

lilCupcakeFreak Well-Known Member Discord Moderator

IGN:
    lilcupcakefreak
    Maybe pistons?
    ok thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Krissy

Krissy f̺͆o̺͆r̺͆g̺͆m̺͆i̺͆n̺͆ Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

Thank you Crew.
    I 100% agree. Complex and unnecessarily insane amount of hoppers used because of poor designs contribute to most, if not all the lag issues. Some people change theirs and others don’t.
    The issue also comes down to the play style hoppers introduce. You go onto org and instead of players talking and having fun like before, it’s a lot of afk farms, avoiding the afk kick and using macros and programs to automate fun server activities.

I remember how on classic people had to use alts to afk grind because there were no hoppers and classic remained relatively lag free and unproblematic for so many years. Two new servers with the specs they do should not be struggling like they are.

It is always nice that even though the simplest solution is to remove hoppers or disable them you don’t because you put what the players would think over the best solution.

I too hope people cut back and realise skyblock classic was such a great server because people talked and were building and having a great time. Before the issues started classic was only held back by lack of developers, not hoppers and sorters crippling the server.

• Like Like x 1
  17. lowfps10

lowfps10 Active Member

IGN:
    lowfps10
    96 hoppers aren't going to be enough to build my public farms on economy. And it's not like the hoppers I'm using are going to create significant lag. They simply empty whatever the farm produces into chests that are accessible for all players. And I can't think of a way around this either. Right now I have 78 hoppers placed and will likely need to place over a hundred

I know that there is a lot of lag, but how can you be sure that hoppers are creating lag.

As far as I can tell, there isn't as much tps lag on economy due to the smaller player base, so maybe only implement these limits for skyblock.net server? Or just add per chunk limits instead

I'm just really frustrated about how players who arent causing a lot of lag are being negatively affected and limited by these limits.

I think there will be a message saying that one or more limits have been exceeded

Making multiple small contraptions with hoppers and Spawners isn't possible either

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  18. Super_Dave1236

Super_Dave1236 Active Member

Yeah, what about pistons? There are some pretty ridiculous piston farms out there also (I saw a pumpkin farm with over 2k pistons). I'm not a lag or MC expert, but I've heard they can cause tps issues if going off all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Micnasr

Micnasr Active Member

IGN:
    Micnasr
    Thanks Noobcrew for addressing the new fixes :D

20. archerexpert777

archerexpert777 Senior Member

IGN:
    simparch777
    Thanks noobcrew :D,

Would this improve the server lag? Because there have been a lot of times where I would lag constantly at various locations, including warp mob and the nether. And there were times were I was moved to a lobby. Any solution on how to fix that?

Also on a personal level, I don't use hoppers nor spawners so I don't think it affects me. It's sad to see people overkilling the use of hoppers