Community Map Art Registry/Masterlist

Discussion in 'Forums Suggestions' started by ChaiBean, May 31, 2020.

1. ChaiBean

ChaiBean Member

IGN:
    ChaiBean
    Because of the recent 'Don't buy art from unofficial resellers!' thread I wanted to make a suggestion post about a mixture of an idea myself and a couple other players have come up with that might help this issue.

To preface this I know not all players on the server have made map arts before, and sometimes it can be difficult to explain to those players how much peoples map arts mean to them. When a player is making a map art the main thing that it takes is time and tons of it to actually complete it, along with a huge budget for the block they they spend to make the artwork. Just an example of one of the 1 x 1 map arts I made in the past, I probably spent around 400 grass on the blocks to make it, plus fully expanding the size of that island on the shop using real money. (The default island boundaries is not big enough to fill up a full map)

That being said, they mean a lot to people and I think that even if you haven't made map art before the least you can do is listen to what those players have to say.

The Suggestion:

I think having a community map art registry sounds like a good idea. That being a post made by either staff or a trusted community member on the forums where players can add their map arts to a list containing everyone else on the server who has done the same thing. In this list would be simple information:
    1. The name of the player.
    2. Any map art that player has added to the list.
    3. Where that map art is available / if that map art is not available.
    4. If that map art is allowed to be duplicated/resold.
    Here's a possible example of what a list like that could look like in practice:

(N/A = Not Available/Not For Sale)​
    Last Updated: 5/27/20

Playername:⠀⠀⠀ Map Arts:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Copyable:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Available At:

ChaiBean⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀2 x 3 Self Portrait⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀No⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀/msg ChaiBean
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Visit ChaiBean ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Yes⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀/visit ChaiBean
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Windows XP Desktop⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀No⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀N/A
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LeoSteel⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀3 x 2 Rick Sanchez ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ No⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀/visit MapArts
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Togpuss⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀2 x 4 Newcastle City⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀No⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀/visit Togpuss, /visit xKurai
    Vowe⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀2 x 2 Self Portrait⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀No⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀/msg Vowe
    ect...

If something like this was made (and updated on a weekly/bi-weekly basis) it would be a good way to keep track of things in a community friendly way.

To add map arts you made all you'd have to do is comment on the post with the corresponding information and it would be edited in by the Mod or community member who made the original post. That being said it would only make sense that only the original creator of a map art would be able to comment to add their own map art to the masterlist. iQuestionLogic also made the suggestion of allowing other players who didn't create the map art to be able to add map art to the list, but having those additions to the list would require screenshot proof from the map art creator with their o.k. to do it for them in case the original creator is not available to to it their-selves.

In addition to all of this there have been a couple of gameplay suggestions that have been brought up about map arts, but the main one that stands out to me right now is one by PCcoolguy100 (aka phr33z) called 'NBT tag for Maps, preventing reselling' which has already received a lot of support. I highly recommend having a quick read of that, but if you're looking for a summary the idea that was brought up was: When a player hovers over a map in their inventory there would be some information displayed about the map, two of those pieces of information would be 1. The players name who created the map, and 2. If that map is allowed for resale or not for resale.

The main reason I bring up PC's suggestion is because I feel that if both the NBT tags for maps, and a registry/masterlist for map art was made here on the forum it would make a significant difference of the amount of players who are reselling other players map arts on the server.

To finish this off I would like to say that I think that a rule against reselling map art should be implemented, but I understand why the staff think it's best not to add that right now (the staff all have lives outside of this server and the forum, and they already have enough of a workload as is with upkeeping everything on here). But if some of these suggestions do become a reality and evidence is easier to gather against resellers, then I think the topic of a rule like that should be brought up again in the future.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. :heart:

• Support Support x 7
    • Neutral Neutral x 2
  2. Dinglesplat

Dinglesplat Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Dinglesplat
    WOW this is amazing, full support 100%, although u should add a 1x1 barry bee benson mapart not for resale, can buy at snapbuy or dingleberry44 :> XD

3. PCcoolguy100

PCcoolguy100 Senior Member

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100
    I don’t see how making a list will make much of a difference, as majority of the mapart selling happens from new players who have surplus of maps, and just want to make some quick grass.

I’ll be neutral for now because I know /ads exists and is quite similar to this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tog

Tog atpoaim Discord Moderator Premium Premium Premium Premium

IGN:
    Togpuss
    Neutral. Reasons stated by Triggered and PC.
    Love the feature though. ;)

5. DegenerateGnome

DegenerateGnome Active Member

IGN:
    DegenerateGnome
    You do know how map files work right? Each map gets its own file when its created which includes the username. When a map is copied it is simply copying that maps data onto another map, not creating a new map. Meaning every single map and it's creators can not only be easily found, but easily tracked in the future as well.

I have hopped on multiple servers after leaving skyblock and the server I play on now not only has more maps than all of the maps on all skyblock servers combined, but they are all tracked to the owner. Meaning if the owner sees someone reselling it they can easily tell staff. The problem with map reselling on skyblock is both on the player and staff as neither side is really taking action to fix the problem. It's possible to fix, but I genuinely doubt the monitoring of maps will change on this server, it's more work than they could plausibly handle with the amount of staff that currently exists. Either way, full support. At the very least this would allow players to register newly created maps.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. ChaiBean

ChaiBean Member

IGN:
    ChaiBean
    I understand you viewpoint, and yes there is a concern there. Especially for map arts created by people who dont play on the server anymore. The best thing people can do in that situation is just comment saying that the person claiming the map art is theirs is lying and have to provide proof of that.

But what can we do at this point if the staff does not want to intervene? There's multiple players on here that are upset with this to the point that they don't want to play on the server at all anymore, and I struggle to ignore that

7. Dinglesplat

IGN:
    Dinglesplat
    Which is why the best thing is to make a plug-in that makes it so they aren’t even able to copy it in the first place. Then, there is no “new rule” that is hard to enforce, just a plug-in making it easily impossible for it to be resold

8. ChaiBean

ChaiBean Member

IGN:
    ChaiBean
    If there was a way to implement that where only the map art creator could make copies then that would work well actually

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dinglesplat

IGN:
    Dinglesplat
  10. iQuestionLogic

iQuestionLogic Active Member Premium

IGN:
    iQuestionLogic
    Support.

I understand why people think the specifics of this suggestion are infeasible.

But the bigger goal of the suggestion is for management to realise art theft is a real problem, and something should be done about it. The specifics are less relevant.

• Agree Agree x 1