Global allow "special characters"

Discussion in 'Server Gameplay Suggestions' started by Oakk, Oct 13, 2023.

1. Oakk

Oakk Experienced Member

IGN:
    OakiiDoakie
    bump bump

2. FlowerCrown

FlowerCrown Member

IGN:
    Flowercrown_
    Support. I agree with this.

3. emil733

emil733 Member

IGN:
    emil733
    support! ä ö ü

4. Oakk

Oakk Experienced Member

IGN:
    OakiiDoakie
    Snälla!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Queen

Queen Well-Known Member

IGN:
    QueenxAlex
    Support for glyphs and ancient curses

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Hopper

Hopper Active Member

IGN:
    Hopperjumperk
    I support This, Special characters like: ç, ö, ş, ğ, ü, İ should be allowed

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Not

Not New Member

IGN:
    _TheMasterPanda3
    ¡Hola! Me gustaría que si implementaran este tema de símbolos para aquellos (a) jugadores (a) que son de habla hispana o de otro lado, para comunicarnos así sin ningún problema, se que internacionalmente el idioma más común para uno comunicarse es el inglés se le entiende pero a veces necesitamos algunos símbolos que no se pueden poner en el chat del servidor. :support::bag::doctor::depressed::(:cool::p:pig::poop::pig::facepalm::blobkiss::feelscryman::blobyes::blobhammer::nomouth::eyes::relaxed::nerd::anguished::sick::zanyface::rage::persevere::partyface:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. *Slagomizer*

*Slagomizer* Moderator Moderator

IGN:
    Slagomizer
    At his request, I'm translating this, then adding my own two cents.

"Hello! I would like if special characters were to be implemented for those players who may or may not be Spanish-speaking, or speaking other languages, such that they may be able to better communicate with each other with fewer problems. Internationally, I recongize that English is the most common language in which to communicate, but at the same time, it is also beneficial for us [non-English-speakers] to have certain symbols in order to facilitate our own communication, too, so we may also chat on the server"

My thoughts:

Yep, this is an English-speaking server. However, we certainly don't punish people for speaking in other languages in the in-game chat, and we even ask staff applicants if they can speak other languages, which underscores how important a multilingual approach is to fostering a userbase and community is on our server. As such, I am generally in support of this.

A limited set of additional characters characters would be great, adding some that might help in Scandinavian languages, Dutch, German, and Spanish (the ones I most frequently see on the server). The major caveat, like Drogo noted, is that abuse would happen immediately. To combat this, special characters would need to be added on a minimum basis (for instance, just six would be fine for Spanish) and the corresponding filter for vulgarities would need to be updated correspondingly, such that filter evasion could not be achieved by means of using ñ versus n.

Support, such that the requisite other secondary considerations are taken care of, since I'm one of the ones on the other end bopping people for using naughty language in chat :dead: