Zombie Pigmen & Gold Blocks

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Noobcrew, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Noobcrew

Noobcrew Server Owner Server Owner Administrator

IGN:
    Noobcrew
    Hey guys, for those that don't already know, we have currently (perhaps temporarily) disabled the spawning of Zombie Pigmen in the main world on Skyblock Survival. We have decided to do this, to not only stop the excessive afk farming of gold but to also reduce latency on .net.

Ever since the release of Skyblock Economy, we have noticed how even though both servers could be running at the same capacity with the same server specs, .org would be significantly faster than .net. After some investigating, we have noticed a handful of players mass afk farming zombie pigmen for gold. The amount of mob spawns and the amount of hoppers for this would cause a huge impact on server performance. Some islands would have close to 100 spawners with well over 500 hoppers which is huge when this is all in a single chunk.

We have been letting this slide for quite some time, and to be honest we didn't think it was contributing very much to our recent latency issues. But it has gotten worse recently and it goes to show where none of this exists on .org, how much better the server performs. Therefore as of now, we believe disabling zombie pigmen from spawning is our best bet until we can find ways to start putting some sort of limit for hoppers and spawners in place. We already nerfed the drop rate and spawn rate per spawner in the past but all it did was make the issue worse, instead the farms were just made even larger to account for it.

With this, the gold being produced was also being used to increase island levels. So much to the point that we've seen thousands and thousands of gold blocks on a single island. Having a high island level shouldn't be all about who has the most gold, it should be about various blocks placed, rare or common. So for now, we've decided to make the value of them basically only 10% of what it was before (along with other decreases & increases with other blocks) so island levels will start making more sense.

Hope you guys understand, on a side note, zombie pigmen will still spawn in the Nether and we will be increasing their drop rates to drop more gold than normal, as you would have to find and fight them instead. Also when I was talking about a limit, I mean a limit of item frames, hoppers, & spawners per island chunk. This is the main issue here, but it became an issue because of the pigmen. The limit won't be an amount that some players would ever reach, though for some of you guys it will be something that will have to be adjusted to. We apologize for anyone upset by these changes but we are just trying to create an overall better experience for everyone in general. Please let us know what you think!

• Like x 9
    • Agree x 4
    • Disagree x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Amazing x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. Timm

Timm Well-Known Member

IGN:
    TimLatte
    I guess it makes sense to do this, a little bit annoying though, although since I no longer play I can't say much

3. Bard

Bard Active Member

IGN:
    Audibility
    The gold has become an iconic part of the server almost.

My suggestion is that you add a 4:1 gold block villager at the spawn or something. That way everyone has access to it. Not only that, but players would sell it cheaper.

I find the excessive island level deal kind of fun because of how over-the-top it can be but regardless, I still need a way to get more gold as im trying to make my island a solid gold biome.

If anything, keep the level system how you want it, but make gold just as accessible as before please.

Also thank you for going after the server lag issue regardless of the destructive path created. Hopefully this will make the server experience better for all players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. BostonNerdism

BostonNerdism Well-Known Member Premium

IGN:
    BostonNerdism
    Pigmen drop way too much nether wart and yellow dye , which people leave laying around for clearlag so thats what causes lag cuz there not smart enough to just throw into lava or throw over into the void even after they were disabled tps was at 9/ 10 maybe 12 , so maybe look a bit deeper at the tps issue at hand , people just need to get smarter and not leave stuff floating on the ground that causes the lag , this is how i see it and i encourage others to do the same at times so nothing is left for clear lag , also slabs over hoppers help also but if the hoppers are backed up they cause lag so also hoppers could be sped up so they can empty fast which leaves nothing for lag or clear lag

• Creative Creative x 2
  5. Timm

Timm Well-Known Member

IGN:
    TimLatte
    The faster hoppers are sped up, the more hoppers and spawners people will place to get even more gold, they don't care that it's causing lag!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Cookie Cookie x 1
  6. BostonNerdism

IGN:
    BostonNerdism
    if they empty quicker tho , there will be nothing in them so empty hoppers don't create lag if nothing is in them and they are covered , but if they are backed up that leaves items floating above hoppers or above the slabs on them

side note , ive messed with spigot myself and understand some of this stuff from thier POV so its makes sense to me

7. Rickrolll

Rickrolll Active Member

IGN:
    Rickrolll
    How will people now get gold? Going into the nether?

8. Krissy

Krissy f̺͆o̺͆r̺͆g̺͆m̺͆i̺͆n̺͆ Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

I like the changes. It is a much needed balance change. I built a great island but was never on the leaderboards long because of the fact gold blocks were becoming a staple and i had to use gold blocks to get a half decent island score. It is so disheartening to new players who don't get the same access to gold and to have good island levels because all you see are donors with many spawners on the top.

The main things that contributed:
    - Gold gave too much levels
    - People wanted more pigmen to spawn and more gold so they had far too many spawners
    - People wanted to afk grind to get gold easily and thus used many hoppers
    - Pigmen had too many junk drops so people had to make sorters
    - Sorters got bigger and bigger the more spawners were added and thus more hoppers, more lag

So the take away is simply the more gold is desired, the more extravagant things that will be built so people can easily afk grind.

Not to be the bad guy here but at the end of the day, what do you think was going to happen? People got greedy and refused to try and reduce the impact they were having on the servers resources. If it takes you to lose what you held so dear to realise this was a huge issue, so be it.

As SOON as the spawners were disabled the tps went from the red to yellow and the lag will improve overtime. A laggy server drives away potential player and donors which is detrimental to the server. Can't grind gold on skyblock if there is no skyblock.
    This not only proves what was causing the low tps and hurting the server but also should make you think if pigmen are really worth risking the server we hold dear.

Build with something other than gold and make money off of something else.
    But we should be thinking of alternatives that we could have to compensate

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  9. SauceBoss22

SauceBoss22 New Member

the thing that bothers me is how hard people have worked to get spawners and how much time went into it. in my case I have 15 and have spent all my time here working to get them. If pigmen are permanently removed that will extremely devalue the spawners and thus the 480 diamonds that I have worked hard to get. Im just wondering and hoping that there will be some form of compensation for people who are largely effected by this?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bERYbERRY

bERYbERRY c000000000000000kies Builder Premium

IGN:
    BertBerry
    That is a very great news! Also, island levels should be updated after each server restart because most of the people who farmed and placed lots of gold blocks on their island are scared to update their island level considering the gold blocks levels were nerfed and it would make it fair for everyone to try and compete to become one of the top 20 islands in /leaderboards and lets hope people dont find new blocks to abuse to gain island level like they did with cobblestone, vine, ice and now gold blocks. Thank you so much Crew and Leee! :heart:

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Marcy

Marcy Apostlé of Falcons Premium

IGN:
    Marcawn
    What will happen to StupidOP then?

12. bERYbERRY

bERYbERRY c000000000000000kies Builder Premium

IGN:
    BertBerry
    If they add so that island levels will be updated after each server restart, then hopefully most of the people including StupidOP will no longer be in /leaderboards or at least lower their island levels in the /leaderboards moving em from #1 to a lower place.

13. Marcy

Marcy Apostlé of Falcons Premium

IGN:
    Marcawn
    rip,

can't they make a gold block give '0.1' levels?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. BostonNerdism

IGN:
    BostonNerdism
    it was the AFK farms that cause the lag not the blocks on the islands.......

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Bard

Bard Active Member

IGN:
    Audibility
    I need a crying rating for forums :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. laini

laini Ma'am Premium

IGN:
    Prxcto
    Gold always was an unfair way to up an island level. I kinda like this nerf, even though it’s changing a lot.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. SauceBoss22

SauceBoss22 New Member

support

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. 52Phenomenon

52Phenomenon Super Moderator Super Moderator Events Manager

IGN:
    52Phenomenon
    This may be hard to get used to as it’s a big change, but I am happy with it and I hope now that island levels are more fair and the server’s lag issues are minimised.

19. Sumner

Sumner Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Apparency
    what a joke

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. T0W0

T0W0 Active Member

IGN:
    T0W0_
    Not cool Noob....