What is the Spawning Radius of a Spawner?

Discussion in 'Discussions Archive' started by PickaxeExpert, Aug 6, 2015.

1. PickaxeExpert

PickaxeExpert Member

Server: .net

So if I place a spawner, I would like to know: how many blocks a skeleton, for example, will spawn from the spawner.

My guess is not more than 6 blocks away from the spawner on any side (including top/bottom).

Does the type of mob the spawner is set to affect the spawn radius?

Lastly: If A spawner is place in the ground, so it is surrounded by blocks on 5 out of 6 sides, will mobs spawn below the spawner (in the ground and suffocate, or possibly drop below your floor into the void)?

Thanks!

2. HkTV

HkTV Active Member

As far as I know, mob spawning works wherein the mobs can only spawn if there are available spaces - enderman spawner in a 2x2 room will not spawn endermen inside the spawner but may spawn them above the spawner if there is a spawnable surface.

The spawning radius for a spawner is 8x8 but since the origin of the spawner is not actually at the center of the block, it's in the corner, that 8x8 meets at a cross-section, so you'll have to mess with your x and y coordinates. To make sure you optimise your mob spawner room, I use 9x9 rooms - although it has been proven than technically spawn rooms should be 10x10 but that's a complicated issue(reddit post - Why Mob Spawners Need a 10x10, not 8x8, Room - My Evidence : Minecraft)

As far as y coordinates go, I'm not sure about those at all, here are some pages which include more accurate information on Monster spawners:
    Mob Spawner - Minecraft Wiki
    Monster Spawner – Minecraft Wiki

3. PickaxeExpert

PickaxeExpert Member

My lord... I just looked at those links, I had no idea this was so complicated. I thought you just plopped it somewhere, bad bing, bada bang, done!... Evidently not lol.

So now I have a much more complicated matter on my hands then I expected... I am trying to find a good placement for 4 Skeleton Spawners in one room, and have water carry them to a chopping block...

Hmmm...

4. HkTV

HkTV Active Member

Since this is Net I cannot offer to build it for you, I also cannot find a video, although I will - if you need it - make a tutorial on how to make a 4-way Skeleton spawner, which evidently works with more spawners.

I will do this tomorrow of course as it is quite late here and my bed wants me :popcorn:

5. Krissy

Krissy f̺͆o̺͆r̺͆g̺͆m̺͆i̺͆n̺͆ Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

I think my spawnroom is 9x9 with a height of 28. I like to drop mobs rather than kill them, mainly in hope there will be a fix to hoppers.

6. PickaxeExpert

PickaxeExpert Member

I would appreciate any videos, and ESPECIALLY a custom video tutorial if possible. I was thinking of just make like a cross design: I would make 4 10x10x10 rooms: south, north, east, west. With the water pushing to the center of the cross where I would stand...

Not sure...

7. HkTV

HkTV Active Member

I've built many spawners for others on Org, where you get a cross design and then they drop from 22 blocks high so they're one hit kill - excluding those with armour, but if you use an enchanted sword(especially with looting as you get more drops) they should all die with a single blow.

8. PickaxeExpert

PickaxeExpert Member

Not a big fan of 1-hit kill if they are able to shoot me. Not a fan of dropping mobs to their death either because then I can't use an enchanted weapon to get more drops from them.
    SO, I AM a fan of water pushing to 1 or 4 chopping blocks for me to whack them. Also, my chopping blocks are a bit higher than where I will be standing, so they aren't able;e to easily shoot and hit me. I like that design ^_^

What do you think?

9. PickaxeExpert

PickaxeExpert Member

I think I would like this idea if hoppers worked but because they don't I like to have water push them to a chop block where I can hit them with an enchanted weapon to get more drops... But I can't really AFK with this design....

10. HkTV

HkTV Active Member

I'm not sure that you understand what I meant. They fall down 22 blocks and DON'T die, they simply become one-hit-kills, and they cannot shoot you as you will be hitting their feet.

11. PickaxeExpert

PickaxeExpert Member

Ohhh ok. I like that then ^_^
    The only thing I don't like so much is building 4 rooms that big if I want to enclose it, but def. doable.

12. RobertTheBruce

RobertTheBruce Well-Known Member

I have a grinder that does exactly what you're describing, message me if you see me online and I will help you.