What is the point of staff...

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by xphstos37, Aug 25, 2022.

1. xphstos37

xphstos37 Experienced Member

...applications allowing community members to support or not support the candidates when it is just the staff team who decides who gets in and who doesn’t?

I suggest the option to vote for or against all future staff members be removed from applications because we, the community, have no say, anyways! What do you think?

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Megan

Megan Experienced Member Premium

IGN:
    Meggann
    Feedback and all context surrounding feedback is taken on board and considered.

3. xphstos37

By the staff team, who then votes?

4. Megan

IGN:
    Meggann
    We would have nothing to think about, without player feedback. That’s why staff applications are open to comments.

I am unsure of where the misconception of staff voting has come from.
    We do not vote, we express our opinions as the rest of the server does.

5. NotErics

NotErics Well-Known Member

IGN:
    NotErics
    Genuine question here, is the final decision made by one person? Or does everyone give their say and majority rules. Cause at the end of the day staff decide who gets the position (taking into account how the community as a whole feels about said applicant)

I assume a person who has a terrible support/no support ratio would not get accepted onto the staff team, so to some degree I think we do have a say.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Megan

IGN:
    Meggann
    From my ‘perspective’ Every single comment made on applications, every single bit of feedback provided is taken into consideration. Applications are open for all to provide feedback, if it was one persons decision, the application process would be private.

7. xphstos37

I’m confused. So the staff team doesn’t vote to decide on which application gets accepted?

8. Megan

IGN:
    Meggann
    From experience we express our opinion, as much as everyone does/can.

9. Calidre

Calidre Experienced Member

IGN:
    Calidre
    225482F4-B762-45D6-8E40-4BCCD0D88BCD.jpeg

Here’s your answer

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. NotErics

IGN:
    NotErics
    Lidre to the rescue you may close this thread :heart:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. xphstos37

I assume a person who has a terrible support/no support ratio would not get accepted onto the staff team, so to some degree I think we do have a say.[/QUOTE]

We aren’t necessarily talking about a huge ratio, here. That would be obvious. To what degree do you think we have a say, if the community votes, but the staff has final decision?

12. xphstos37

Therefore, the staff team decides, got it.

13. Megan

IGN:
    Meggann
    This is where I believe the miscommunication is coming from.
    “The Staff” do not decide. We express our opinions the same as you do. As Calidre’s screenshot proves, Kerahna, as Staff Manager, makes that decision based on feedback provided on applications and conversations.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. NotErics

IGN:
    NotErics
    Staff doesn't have the final decision, Kera does as seen in the SS sent by Cal. Staff are players aswell, and input their opinions same way we do, the only difference is that they speak directly to kera alongside being able to reply to the forums application.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. xphstos37

Mods, could you please tell NotErics not to decide when my threads needs to be closed, that’s the mods’ job and he isn’t one.

16. Megan

IGN:
    Meggann
    Threads are only closed when requested by the Thread Creator or when handled. Thanks :)

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  17. NotErics

IGN:
    NotErics
    Im sorry you took it that way, it was meant to be lighthearted there is no animosity

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. boba

boba modern manifesto Premium

IGN:
    BobaLatte
    I think the reason as to why we always believe that staff members are the only ones who make the decision as to whom gets promoted is because there is not as much visibility, clarity, or information provided when someone is promoted.

While this information might be kept disclosed or is not shared as other applicants may feel offended or to avoid arguments from the community saying "well this applicant has that trait too", I think it would be beneficial for us as a community to know exactly why an applicant is promoted. It might be obvious that they are active, helpful, kind, responsible, etc., but sharing this information would also be beneficial for other applicants and potentially provide guidance in the right direction.

To be honest, I do think that our support might make some kind of impact. Our responses might be able to let others know why we support/do not support an applicant, and might provide some information or alert to Kera or staff members to watch out for, or to pay close attention to so they are also able to confirm what we say.

I think by just providing more clarity, our confusion can be cleared away, and it would also be able to help other applicants to let them know what they could work on. :happy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Amazing Amazing x 1
  19. xphstos37

It seems like what new applicants need to do is befriend the five active mods on the server.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  20. LeoSteel

LeoSteel Active Member

I believe they do include all community shared comments and votes. No better way to find out about a person than based on the people that spend the most time with them, the community.

I understand that you as an individual perhaps could feel like you weren’t heard or included but it’s about the whole picture not a singular persons opinion.

• Agree Agree x 3