Declined Use Reddit instead of forums

Discussion in 'Forums Suggestions Archive' started by Flamedestroyer44, May 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flamedestroyer44

Flamedestroyer44 Member

I know a lot of people don't have Reddit, but I think it would make a lot more sense to use Reddit instead of this forums.
    Instead of having different pages for different topics people could tag their posts, which would make sorting through the mountains of posts a lot easier. Also (in my opinion) Reddit is much cleaner than forums and is easier and more intuitive to navigate. I do understand that there are custom features of this thread that Reddit doesn't have by default, although you can design a bot to do most of the things this forums can do.
    Mods would also be able to pin important messages, and while that is somewhat like the homepage, I think a pinned message is easier to notice than a massive home page. There are also a lot more options for the aesthetics of Reddit, and if you don't like how the pages are arranged you can use something like Apollo for Reddit (IOS) or Joey for Reddit (Android).
    One of the major pros of Reddit is the fact that there is a decent mobile app, (I use Apollo for Reddit it's great) which would allow mods to check post on their phones with an app specifically designed for phones. Another pro which I have already mentioned is the fact that Reddit has much better navigation, and if tags on posts are required a bot can auto sort the posts to different pages.
    The only con I can think of is there is a bit of a learning curve, but that applies to most things in life.

• No Support No Support x 25
  2. laini

laini Ma'am Premium

IGN:
    Prxcto
    The forums has worked fine for 8 years, suddenly moving everything over to reddit would be so much more work than just learning how to use the forums.

No support.

3. Flamedestroyer44

Flamedestroyer44 Member

That's fair, although in my opinion just because something works doesn't mean it can't be upgraded.

4. Bossgamer

Bossgamer Super Moderator Super Moderator

IGN:
    Bossyy
    Since I've never used Reddit before, I would find switching to Reddit very confusing and I'd have to learn everything all over again. I think this would apply to a fair few people who have used xenforo for a long time now too.

5. Pillow

Pillow blanky Premium

IGN:
    Pilberry
    Use TapaTalk for forums.

No support, I agree with Laini, the forums has worked fine for 8 years I don't see why we should replace it with something else that isn't customizable.

6. Mai

Mai serendipity Discord Moderator Premium Premium

Reddit is actually not easy to get into. It was confusing for me. The forums is way more straight forward and completely dedicated to just Skyblock. I think things are fine as they are.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  7. Tog

Tog atpoaim Discord Moderator Premium Premium Premium Premium

IGN:
    Togpuss
    I agree with Laini. There really is nothing wrong with forums. I also agree with Boss and Mai. Although I use reddit regularly myself, I did find it very difficult to learn my way around and it took me 6 months to discover what 'Reddit karma' was. A fan made Skyblock subreddit may be an okay idea, but I personally think it should stop at that. In addition to this, there is already an app called 'TapTalk' which can be used for many forums including this one. You could argue that app gives forums a more 'Reddit feel' although I personally do not use it myself. For the above reasons, I will not be supporting this suggestion.

8. WhatsUpDoc

WhatsUpDoc Eh What's Up Doc? Premium

IGN:
    WhatsUpDoc
    I like forums personally, imagine how bad it would be for the people who bought premium for $50. also we have trophy points ect. here

9. SuckyMagician

SuckyMagician Well-Known Member

No support.

Ignoring the "It's worked well this way for 8 years" argument, Reddit, while a good media platform, is an inferior way to organize a community like Skyblock has. The reason Minecraft servers for many years have used forums systems, is it fits the required functionality well. The forums is an organized platform for managing the server's community, and Reddit simply doesn't have the same capability and efficiency.

(Also, I use Reddit all the time, I'm not hating on Reddit.)

10. Craney100

Craney100 Experienced Member

IGN:
    Craney100
    No Support.
    You can use the tapatalk app for forums.

11. Dinglesplat

Dinglesplat Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Dinglesplat
    I don't use reddit, and never will. Its such a toxic community, unlike over here on forums.
    No support

12. ElectroTom

ElectroTom Well-Known Member

IGN:
    ElectroTom
    No support, it would be very difficult to switch over, and there is a community on here that's been here for ages and probably wouldn't switch.

13. laini

laini Ma'am Premium

IGN:
    Prxcto
    Look at it this way, this forum currently has 60,302 members. It wouldn’t be wise to expect all of those people to navigate to reddit, which everyone has to get used to, and it’s far less customisable. (Before anyone points this out, yes I am aware that we don’t have 60k active user accounts)

I feel like it’s much easier for one person to learn how to use forums, than it is for 60,000 people to join a new subreddit that isn’t as easy to moderate for all the server mods.

14. EDISONTECH

EDISONTECH Well-Known Member

IGN:
    EDISONTECH
    No support. This will cause confusion IF another server decided to make a reddit too. Forums worked fine for me for the last 4 issues with minimal down time. Reddit is also sometimes a pain in the neck to use. and you have to "pay" for reactions (basically awards). Reddit can be a great place for alot of things - just not this server

15. EDISONTECH

EDISONTECH Well-Known Member

IGN:
    EDISONTECH
    I use Reddit to browse alot of different things. Reddit is amazing. But I have yet seen a Reddit minecraft community be successful as a simple forums.

16. Agent

Agent not really an agent Premium

IGN:
    Agentyy
    No support. I’ve been using the forums on my phone via Safari since I was first promoted. It works fine on your phone and I don’t see the reason to switch platforms and create a whole new level of confusion for the staff and players.

17. Question

Question Active Member

IGN:
    _Ques

No Support.

Changing to Reddit would be a struggle for most and probably only a few dedicated members and staff will actually transfer over from these forums. Most of the times changing something after a while is great but not when it comes to moving a whole community. This forum is mostly used for the skyblock server, so changing it will not work out.

18. Question

Question Active Member

IGN:
    _Ques
    It's not all toxic. r/memes, r/dankmemes, and r/okbuddyretard are the most toxic. r/teenagers and actual structured communities are fine, although I do love most of the toxic ones.

19. 52Phenomenon

52Phenomenon Super Moderator Super Moderator Events Manager

IGN:
    52Phenomenon
    This is a very random suggestion and I don’t think it makes any sense. Everyone here is used to the forums site, and it makes sense to have a forums site with a minecraft server. Switching to reddit wouldn’t make a lot of sense and would decreased our members by a lot. No support.

20. bERYbERRY

bERYbERRY c000000000000000kies Builder Premium

IGN:
    BertBerry
    No support.
    Reddit is confusing to some people including myself so if we switch to Reddit we will be more confused and lose members. Also, new players will find it hard to reach out and make a reddit account just to post in the skyblock reddit so theres really no need to complicate it more. The forums is simple and very easy to reach to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.